Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Half Defense
Through 6 games and an OT our defense has still not given up a touchdown in the 2nd half. I'm not the best at looking up records/stats but I would assume not THAT many teams would be able to claim that in today's offensive NFL.

I understand our defense has struggled to close out games, although much of that could be attributed to the offenses lack of scoring points. Not giving up a touchdown for 13 quarters is impressive nonetheless and if the offensive continues to improve I think we could have another special year.
Reply/Quote
See, I think our defence this year is (in part) some of the best proof you'll see that stats don't mean a ton.

Take today for example. No 2nd half TDs. But they could not get off the field, and as a result, our offence HAD to score 14 points on 3 drives in an entire HALF to win the game (we scored 17, but 14 would've done it). There was very little room for margin for our offence as a result of the defence in the 2nd half today.

Weeks 1-5, I was a 'big defender' of the defence, mostly on the fact that the scoring defence was very good, and points are the aim of the game. But no doubt they did give up game winning drives.

Either way, 0 second half TDs in 6 weeks is pretty amazing a stat, and I do think the defence are a huge reason as to why we're still in the hunt this season. Don't think they did particularly great today, but they largely do the business imo.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:43 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: See, I think our defence this year is (in part) some of the best proof you'll see that stats don't mean a ton.

Take today for example. No 2nd half TDs. But they could not get off the field, and as a result, our offence HAD to score 14 points on 3 drives in an entire HALF to win the game (we scored 17, but 14 would've done it). There was very little room for margin for our offence as a result of the defence in the 2nd half today.

Weeks 1-5, I was a 'big defender' of the defence, mostly on the fact that the scoring defence was very good, and points are the aim of the game. But no doubt they did give up game winning drives.

Either way, 0 second half TDs in 6 weeks is pretty amazing a stat, and I do think the defence are a huge reason as to why we're still in the hunt this season. Don't think they did particularly great today, but they largely do the business imo.

We've played all backup qbs too except Lamar.

The lack of sacks is disturbing...
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've played all backup qbs too except Lamar.

Definitely, but you can only play against that which you are scheduled and I don't think anyone could really argue scoring defence hasn't been at the top end of what anyone could expect. Teams don't keep teams to 7-10 points in a game anymore, and other than the Saints run game today I don't think we've been shredded by anything otherwise.

We'll truly find out about this defence at the end of the season. The schedule end is brutal and the defence will need to be elite for us to get wins there.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've played all backup qbs too except Lamar.

Getting into a double digit deficit every single game makes it hard for the defense to pin their ears back and get after the QB. 

Don't get me wrong, the defense has been really bad about getting pressure but the 1 game where we actually got a double digit lead the defense got 4 sacks. 
Reply/Quote
Just continues the shut down nature of playoffs, don;t give up the big plays.. make the team grind which normally leads to field goals or no points
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 06:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Just continues the shut down nature of playoffs, don;t give up the big plays.. make the team grind which normally leads to field goals or no points

Yep. The only thing missing the other 3 losses was the offense scoring more points. I think it will be very rare that we lose a game when the offense scores 30 or more points. If in any of those other 3 games they need a TD vs a FG I think we win. 

It's really easy for NFL offenses to get into FG range with 4 downs but a big difference to score touchdowns. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 06:09 PM)TheFan Wrote: Yep. The only thing missing the other 3 losses was the offense scoring more points. I think it will be very rare that we lose a game when the offense scores 30 or more points. If in any of those other 3 games they need a TD vs a FG I think we win. 

It's really easy for NFL offenses to get into FG range with 4 downs but a big difference to score touchdowns. 

That was the standard for Zimmers defense and seems the same for Lou
Reply/Quote

Trubisky.

Knew Ogunjobi was going to be missed as pressure up the middle, but even that doesn't explain only 9 sacks in 6 games.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 06:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Trubisky.

Knew Ogunjobi was going to be missed as pressure up the middle, but even that doesn't explain only 9 sacks in 6 games.

Trivially wasn’t a back up when they played him, but he is now. He’s probably a backup quality QB, regardless of what he technically was when they played him.

You’re right, though. He wasn’t the backup in week one.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 06:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Trubisky.

Sacks are great but also when you bring extra pressure you also are giving up something on backend... im not sure where we stand on pressures which can be very important also.  In the end points are what matters most, and if we continue to not give up points but not have many sacks by design, Im fine with that
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 06:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Just continues the shut down nature of playoffs, don;t give up the big plays.. make the team grind which normally leads to field goals or no points

In the 4 playoff games the defense had 10 sacks and 9 turnovers.

In 6 games this year the defense has 9 sacks and 8 turnovers. Much worse teams, 50% more games, yet worse totals.

Bengals D has been good in the 2nd half, but they really need to fix the pass rush. Even more so once they start playing better teams after the bye. (Also worrying how bad the Run D has been the last 2 games with the Falcons and the Browns coming up, both excellent running teams.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 05:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've played all backup qbs too except Lamar.

How many pass attempts did Saints have today? 15? Not like the dline had a chance to pin their ears back once we lost the game script
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 06:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: In the 4 playoff games the defense had 10 sacks and 9 turnovers.

In 6 games this year the defense has 9 sacks and 8 turnovers. Much worse teams, 50% more games, yet worse totals.

Bengals D has been good in the 2nd half, but they really need to fix the pass rush. Even more so once they start playing better teams after the bye. (Also worrying how bad the Run D has been the last 2 games with the Falcons and the Browns coming up, both excellent running teams.)

I will look at the big picture, leading the NFL i believe in points given up 2nd half and top ten i believe in total points allowed, every week good teams get shut down and bad teams score extra points, as a whole this team has been consistent in just not giving up points each week.. sure we can improve in areas as do other teams with good defense but the formula is working so as a coach i would look at making some minor adjustments but nothing major...
Reply/Quote
No second half touchdowns in 6 games is pretty damn impressive. Is it possible that halftime adjustments are occurring? Is it possible that Lou is a really good coach?

And before people start pointing at the quality of our opponents this year, we saw outstanding defense throughout the playoffs.

When he was hired, consensus was that Bengals had to settle for Anarumo because no one else wanted to come here. I don't know if that's true or not. If Lou was in fact their third or fourth choice, I think the football gods finally figured they owed us one.
Reply/Quote

We’re the 2000 Ravens! :lol:

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 06:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
We’re the 2000 Ravens! LOL

Thank you Jay (and Nicomo by proxy) for doing the research for me! 

Hard to argue with being in the same sentence as the 2000 Ravens. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 06:40 PM)TheFan Wrote: Thank you Jay (and Nicomo by proxy) for doing the research for me! 

Hard to argue with being in the same sentence as the 2000 Ravens. 

I’m assuming that’s who it was.

Reply/Quote
Lou is gone after this year... he's certainly building the case to be a HC somewhere.

Hello Mr. NFL Owner for the first 6 weeks of the 2022 NFL season my defense did not allow a TD. Oh and behind my defense in 2021 we made the Superbowl
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2022, 06:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m assuming that’s who it was.

I feel like Jay is usually the man with stats. 
Reply/Quote