Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Half Off. Disappearing act ?
What is it that causes this offense to face plant in the 2nd half ?

We've scored a grand total of 20 points in the 3rd qtr. thus far this season, that's a pace of 2.5 points per Two and one half points

We've scored 45 points in the 4th qtr. thus far that's 5.6 points a game. That's of course a grand total of 65 points for an average of 8.1 points per 2nd half !!

We have went scoreless in four 3rd qtrs. and only mustered a FG in two others.

In contrast we have 128 1st half points including 5 games of 14+ and 3 games of 27+ We've only been shut out in one game in the 1st half (Miami) and 3 points in the Chiefs butt stomping.

So I ask why does this O stay in the locker room ? Why can't we finish games, play a complete game ?

Is it the players ? "ahhhh we got this guys, let's coast on in for the win"

Is it Lazor ? Is he to predictable ?

Is it Dalton and the RPO ?

It is a staple of Marvin Lewis led teams

I just don't get it ? It's like a totally different offense takes the field in the 2nd half and you see it time and time again.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Marvin-Lewis-2nd-half-scoring-stats
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Don't we have several come from behind in the 4th quarter wins this year??? (and yes, I realize one of those games the Defense scored twice)
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 10:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Don't we have several come from behind in the 4th quarter wins this year??? (and yes, I realize one of those games the Defense scored twice)

The Colts game was secured by a defensive score, The Dolphins game was won on two defensive scores, and we kicked a FG to score the only offensive points of the 2nd half yesterday. Had we not had the pick 6 we lose.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 10:19 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Colts game was secured by a defensive score, The Dolphins game was won on two defensive scores, and we kicked a FG to score the only offensive points of the 2nd half yesterday. Had we not had the pick 6 we lose.

Yep.  Fej, Hubbard, and MJ are three of those 4th quarter scores.
Reply/Quote
I think they get predictable with their sets. After halftime, the D adjusts to those sets and we don't try to do the same thing out of different formation. That's what I loved about the KC game is all the "window dressing" they did with their plays. You don't know what's going to hit you, even if you've seen that play before sometime in the game, they do it in different formations.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 11:43 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I think they get predictable with their sets. After halftime, the D adjusts to those sets and we don't try to do the same thing out of different formation. That's what I loved about the KC game is all the "window dressing" they did with their plays. You don't know what's going to hit you, even if you've seen that play before sometime in the game, they do it in different formations.

I agree

After we go thru the lineup a couple times so to speak, we don't have anything new to show em. Or in other words Lazor has got to get more creative.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if Andy audibles as much as other QB's according to the defense. I wonder if there is a stat that tracks it.
Reply/Quote
I think Andy's done a remarkable job with what he's got.

But they just can't overcome the loss of Eifert, Ross and Kroft - and the fact that our O-line is below average.  Mixon is overcoming a significantly poor offensive line.   But he's the only RB on the roster who can.

As soon as the opposing defense realizes that all they need to do is load the box and cover the few receivers who can get open we're done.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 02:46 PM)3wt Wrote: I think Andy's done a remarkable job with what he's got.

But they just can't overcome the loss of Eifert, Ross and Kroft - and the fact that our O-line is below average.  Mixon is overcoming a significantly poor offensive line.   But he's the only RB on the roster who can.

As soon as the opposing defense realizes that all they need to do is load the box and cover the few receivers who can get open we're done.

I have not been a huge Dalton fan, but our 5-3- record in my mind is completely due to him. He has a new system and a horrible OL and diminishing tools to work with, he has done well to secure several victories. 

We cannot and should not expect this to continue, it is asking to much of any one player even if they are named Brady or Rodgers. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
I wonder how many DIFFERENT plays we run out of the SAME formation, in order to confuse the defense?
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 02:46 PM)3wt Wrote: I think Andy's done a remarkable job with what he's got.

But they seem to overcome those player loses just fine in the first half of games. Why would those injuries only affect second half of games? Teams know those players are missing and have plenty of film to watch the team without those players.
Reply/Quote
This is nothing new in the Marvin era.

Even during the struggle of the last 2 years when this team cooked through a 1st half they would almost always go to sleep.
Marvball is a real thing. If we have a 2+ score lead at anytime this team goes into play not to lose mode instead of going for coffin nails.

The difference in this years team is where those old teams would've folded or made mistakes to lose the game this year its just different.
2 mins? 1 min? Andy has been putting them on his back when it counts and willing them to win. If this D was anything like past teams they could very well be alright but Marvball is def making sundays way more stressful than they need to be.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 12:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I agree

After we go thru the lineup a couple times so to speak, we don't have anything new to show em. Or in other words Lazor has got to get more creative.

I put part of the blame on Bill Lazor, but only a small part.  He's a bit hamstrung by way of having a shaky OL, with 4 new parts.  That has got to limit the extents of what he can call, at least to a degree.

The lion's share of the blame must fall squarely on the shoulders of Marvin Lewis.  One trait that has been ever consistent over the years, is the failure to come out and just bury teams in the second half.  Sure, plenty of late comebacks and such;  But how many comebacks would they have needed, if they would have come out from the half and put teams away?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 10:14 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: What is it that causes this offense to face plant in the 2nd half ?

We've scored a grand total of 20 points in the 3rd qtr. thus far this season, that's a pace of 2.5 points per Two and one half points

We've scored 45 points in the 4th qtr. thus far that's 5.6 points a game. That's of course a grand total of 65 points for an average of 8.1 points per 2nd half !!

We have went scoreless in four 3rd qtrs. and only mustered a FG in two others.

In contrast we have 128 1st half points including 5 games of 14+ and 3 games of 27+ We've only been shut out in one game in the 1st half (Miami) and 3 points in the Chiefs butt stomping.

So I ask why does this O stay in the locker room ? Why can't we finish games, play a complete game ?

Is it the players ? "ahhhh we got this guys, let's coast on in for the win"

Is it Lazor ? Is he to predictable ?

Is it Dalton and the RPO ?

It is a staple of Marvin Lewis led teams

I just don't get it ? It's like a totally different offense takes the field in the 2nd half and you see it time and time again.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Marvin-Lewis-2nd-half-scoring-stats

Last sunday, I have a suspicion it was more of a wind issue.
They kept showing it during the game how drastically the wind went from one direction to the other.

I was highly doubting Bullock was even was able to make the FG.
Reply/Quote
This offense just runs better as an up tempo, hurry up offense. I think a big reason for this is that it protects the OL by keeping gassed pass rushers out on the field. Generally, we come out of halftime with a big lead and try to slow down to eat clock. We just aren't very good at it.
Reply/Quote