Poll: What will the last 8 games win/loss record be ?
8 wins and 0 losses for the 2nd half of the 2018 season
7 and 1
6 and 2
5 and 3
4 and 4
3 and 5
2 and 6
1 and 7
0 wins and 8 losses for the 2nd half of the 2018 season
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Half Predictions....
(11-01-2018, 12:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW glad this is an open poll. I think they all should be.

I was wondering why it never gives me that option on my phone? Do you have to be on desktop to set it as open?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 12:06 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Why in theee hell do people think the Bengals are going to lose to the Browns?

Bengals should win at least 10 this year. 

Agree, highlighted teams I think we beat 

See 2 wins via the Browns and another vs Raiders. ........................3-0

Think Bengals will split with Ravens and steelers to get another win............4-1 

Believe Bengals also split with Denver and New Orleans for another W.........5-2

Think we lose to Chargers .........................................................................5-3

Bringing Bengals to a 10-6 season and a very promising future if right offseason moves are made. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 12:06 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Why in theee hell do people think the Bengals are going to lose to the Browns?

Bengals should win at least 10 this year. 

Same reason I see people predicting we'll beat the Steelers Ninja 

How many times has a rookie QB beat us? Plus this team is very jekyll and hyde. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2018, 09:10 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: Oh I agree...  I want us to fire Austin so bad it isn't even funny.

The defense doesn't look bad, they look lost and confused, which is even worse.  The emphasis on TOs is relying on the opponent to make mistakes, not actually stopping them, we had Chuck B. for doing that before getting Zimmer.  The really bad part is that we are terrible at actually getting TOs.  With the amount of attempts that our defenders have done trying to cause a fumble or INT, we haven't produced as much as it seems.  Even when we do cause a fumble we have had a few that we didn't recover, that sounds like nitpicking, but if that is the goal and focus of the defense then we need to recover those fumbles.  The Pittsburgh game stands out as we could have prevented the FG if we recover that fumble.

I don't hate Marv, but as you said, these guys are blah.  I mean our record should be 6-2 right now.  No shame is losing to KC or Carolina, but the Steelers is the game that is the one that stands out as being a testament to the ineptitude of Lewis.  His handling of the last 2 mins were atrocious.  We didn't try to milk the clock at all during that time, it was as if Marv was a first time spectator, all excited about scoring that he forgot that we have to give them the ball back.  With 2 time outs and already past the 50, plus having 4 chances to get a 1st down, we shouldn't have worried about scoring or even taking a TO until about 30s was left on the clock.

As someone that is just a rabid fan of the Bengals and not a professional coach, for me to be able to see plainly that we scored to quickly, makes me wonder if those claims of the NFL being rigged might have some truth to them.  If not, then Marvin is really out of his depth.

Yes, we scored too fast against the Steelers and it cost us the game. I said it right when Mixon got into the Endzone.

This is on Marv and Lazor, should of had Mixon fall at the one a few plays and than ran it in and we would be 6-2 right now
and have the lead in the Division. One little play is all it takes to change a season. Great post once again, i don't know if the
NFL is rigged but the refs in the past have sure favored teams like the Steelers and Patriots. It is evident.

But that doesn't take away Marv's ineptitude at times.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 01:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is on Marv and Lazor, should of had Mixon fall at the one a few plays and than ran it in and we would be 6-2 right now

If we could score a TD anytime we wanted then why had we not scored a single point the entire second half?

You will never ever see an NFL team that needs a TD to win down the ball short of the endzone.  Never happened before and never will.  Yet some fans try to rip Marvin for not doing it.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 02:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we could score a TD anytime we wanted then why had we not scored a single point the entire second half?

You will never ever see an NFL team that needs a TD to win down the ball short of the endzone.  Never happened before and never will.  Yet some fans try to rip Marvin for not doing it.

So you are arguing that we didn't score too fast?

I seriously believe if we run the time down more we win that game and we would be leading the Division right now.

I know this doesn't happen often but in todays NFL with these prolific Offenses you CAN give a team too much time.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 02:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So you are arguing that we didn't score too fast?

I said that no NFL team behind by more than 3 points has ever stopped short of the goal line on purpose and they never will.  So it is silly to complain about us not doing that.  Some people here act like they have never seen a team fail to score a TD once they get within 4 yards.

We had 2nd down on the 4 yard line with 1:21 left.  It could have taken us up to 7 plays to score and we wanted to keep the option of running the ball on any play.  So we did not have the option to try and get cute with the game clock.  Even though we had timeouts we wanted to be able to run or use the middle of the field on any play.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I said that no NFL team behind by more than 3 points has ever stopped short of the goal line on purpose and they never will.  So it is silly to complain about us not doing that.  Some people here act like they have never seen a team fail to score a TD once they get within 4 yards.

We had 2nd down on the 4 yard line with 1:21 left.  It could have taken us up to 7 plays to score and we wanted to keep the option of running the ball on any play.  So we did not have the option to try and get cute with the game clock.  Even though we had timeouts we wanted to be able to run or use the middle of the field on any play.

I get that, have to score when you can.

Good points, i have heard about teams letting teams score so they had plenty of time to go win the game.

Mostly i hear this in college games though.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 02:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good points, i have heard about teams letting teams score so they had plenty of time to go win the game.

Only time a defense would ever allow another team to score a td is when a FG by the team on offense would win or tie the game.  That is what happened in the Giants/Pats Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only time a defense would ever allow another team to score a td is when a FG by the team on offense would win or tie the game.  That is what happened in the Giants/Pats Super Bowl.

Yeah, i have mostly heard announcers talking about it. Haven't seen it happen often true.

Just saying it might happen more often in todays NFL where Offenses are just too good.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 01:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, we scored too fast against the Steelers and it cost us the game. I said it right when Mixon got into the Endzone.

This is on Marv and Lazor, should of had Mixon fall at the one a few plays and than ran it in and we would be 6-2 right now
and have the lead in the Division. One little play is all it takes to change a season. Great post once again, i don't know if the
NFL is rigged but the refs in the past have sure favored teams like the Steelers and Patriots. It is evident.

But that doesn't take away Marv's ineptitude at times.

I don't know if I would say that Mixon NOT score.  However if he runs for a 5 yard gain to start the clock at the 2 min warning, and we take off the 45 seconds before making the next play, which should be a pass play to only get the 1st down, then hurry up and run another play to try and get another 1st down it would help burn out the clock, while also moving the ball forward.  If Pittsburgh calls a TO (they had all 3) then great, now we run again to start up the clock.  If they burn all 3 TOs then our chances of winning is increased.  If they don't take a TO, when we get to 30 seconds, that is when we should be looking take our TOs.  Keep getting 1st downs and when we are 20 seconds or less, score.  Pooch kick, but keep the ball in the field of play and even more time would be taken off the clock. 

I don't see the Steelers getting into FG range with 7 seconds and  possibly no TOs remaining.  The pressure wasn't on us to score as fast as we can.  It was on their defense to try and stop us from eating the clock and scoring.

While I do understand the concept of the offense scoring and that they did their job and the defense is to prevent scores and ours did not do their job, I don't blame the players for going with the plays called, I do blame the coaches.  The coaches job is to prepared for situational football.  Marv has been terrible at this his entire time with us.  How does Jeremy Hill NOT protect the football in that last postseason game?
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 04:51 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: I don't know if I would say that Mixon NOT score.  However if he runs for a 5 yard gain to start the clock at the 2 min warning, and we take off the 45 seconds before making the next play, which should be a pass play to only get the 1st down, then hurry up and run another play to try and get another 1st down it would help burn out the clock, while also moving the ball forward.  If Pittsburgh calls a TO (they had all 3) then great, now we run again to start up the clock.  If they burn all 3 TOs then our chances of winning is increased.  If they don't take a TO, when we get to 30 seconds, that is when we should be looking take our TOs.  Keep getting 1st downs and when we are 20 seconds or less, score.  Pooch kick, but keep the ball in the field of play and even more time would be taken off the clock. 

I don't see the Steelers getting into FG range with 7 seconds and  possibly no TOs remaining.  The pressure wasn't on us to score as fast as we can.  It was on their defense to try and stop us from eating the clock and scoring.

While I do understand the concept of the offense scoring and that they did their job and the defense is to prevent scores and ours did not do their job, I don't blame the players for going with the plays called, I do blame the coaches.  The coaches job is to prepared for situational football.  Marv has been terrible at this his entire time with us.  How does Jeremy Hill NOT protect the football in that last postseason game?

That is what i really meant, have to score when you can as i later specified just saying if we ate up the clock more
we win that game. It is on Marv on that one, not the player as you say. Have to have your RB prepared in that
moment in a Playoff game with Hill. That still makes me wanna puke.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only time a defense would ever allow another team to score a td is when a FG by the team on offense would win or tie the game.  That is what happened in the Giants/Pats Super Bowl.

It also is what Pittsburgh did to us in this game.

I am fine with Mixon scoring.  I am not fine with not utilizing all three downs more effectively.

We had only 1 run play after the 2 min warning.  That play happened to be on the TD.  All that run play did was stop the clock.

The point is the HC, OC or QB, needs to have situational awareness to throw in a run play or 2 (depending on them taking their TOs) to get the clock going.  To milk the clock as much as possible.  We played hurry up and was just trying to score as fast as we could.  Either we make Pittsburgh burn a TO or make them regret NOT calling TOs by scoring at a time when it wouldn't matter how many TOs they have.  We have 4 chances to get a 1st down.  I am not saying go to 4th down every time, but the game's outcome would have been different if we ran on 1st down on a few after the 2 min warning.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 04:51 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: I don't know if I would say that Mixon NOT score.  However if he runs for a 5 yard gain to start the clock at the 2 min warning, and we take off the 45 seconds before making the next play, which should be a pass play to only get the 1st down, then hurry up and run another play to try and get another 1st down it would help burn out the clock, while also moving the ball forward. 

We were still 34 yards from the end zone at the 2 minute warning.  If we run 5 yards after the 2 minute warning and burn 45 seconds then we have 1:15 to go 29 yards. At that point we pretty much have to burn a time out on any play where we try to use the middle of the field or run the ball.

I don't know why you are all acting like we could just gain yards and score a TD whenever we wanted considering we had not scored a single point the entire second half.  It is easy to make these decisions with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, but after watching the Bengals' offense get completely shut down for the entire second half it did not make a lot of sense to worry about "scoring too quickly".
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 05:31 PM)YsCascadia Wrote:   I am not saying go to 4th down every time, but the game's outcome would have been different if we ran on 1st down on a few after the 2 min warning.

You have absolutely no way of knowing this.  We might not have scored at all if we had tried to get cute with the play clock and ended up needing a 4th down conversion still 25 yards from the endzone.

Even with a no-huddle hurry-up offense it takes 15-20 seconds per play unless you go out of bounds.  Even when we had 2nd down at the 4 yard line it could have taken us as many as 7 plays to score.  And once a team is forced o either throw or run to the sidelines it makes it much easier for the defense.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 06:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have absolutely no way of knowing this.  We might not have scored at all if we had tried to get cute with the play clock and ended up needing a 4th down conversion still 25 yards from the endzone.

Even with a no-huddle hurry-up offense it takes 15-20 seconds per play unless you go out of bounds.  Even when we had 2nd down at the 4 yard line it could have taken us as many as 7 plays to score.  And once a team is forced o either throw or run to the sidelines it makes it much easier for the defense.

You have NO way of knowing that I am wrong either.

So stop with the "You don't KNOW" crap.

Before Half-time we scored with just over 1 min to play. 

So why would you give the Steelers MORE time to work with then we had at the end of the 1st half?  Especially when they only needed a FG to win the game.

It only takes 6-7 seconds to run a play, not every pass would be a completion and the clock stops. 

We can take our time to score, no rush.  We can run the ball for yards or pass the ball for yards.  29 yards is STILL a 1 shot play to a TD. So we could still score with only 1 second left on the clock.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 07:45 PM)YsCascadia Wrote: You have NO way of knowing that I am wrong either.

So stop with the "You don't KNOW" crap.

Before Half-time we scored with just over 1 min to play. 

So why would you give the Steelers MORE time to work with then we had at the end of the 1st half?  Especially when they only needed a FG to win the game.

It only takes 6-7 seconds to run a play, not every pass would be a completion and the clock stops. 

We can take our time to score, no rush.  We can run the ball for yards or pass the ball for yards.  29 yards is STILL a 1 shot play to a TD.  So we could still score with only 1 second left on the clock.

Marvin Lewis has stayed in the box for 16 years against Pittsburgh and it's gotten him nothing but losses. Perhaps it's going to take some unconventional out of the box thinking and playing to flip the script ?

Just a thought.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 05:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We were still 34 yards from the end zone at the 2 minute warning.  If we run 5 yards after the 2 minute warning and burn 45 seconds then we have 1:15 to go 29 yards.  At that point we pretty much have to burn a time out on any play where we try to use the middle of the field or run the ball.

I don't know why you are all acting like we could just gain yards and score a TD whenever we wanted considering we had not scored a single point the entire second half.  It is easy to make these decisions with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, but after watching the Bengals' offense get completely shut down for the entire second half it did not make a lot of sense to worry about "scoring too quickly".

Wrong... Wrong... Wrong... Wrong....

Wrong... Wrong.... Wrong .... Wrong...

We run for 5 yards, burn 45 seconds, then pass on 2nd down, the goal is for a 1st down and the whole field is in play.

IF the pass play failed what happens?  That's right the clock stops.  Now we are in 3rd and 5 with 1:07 left to go.  We go pass again, if we fail, then we go pass again on 4th and 5.  If we fail again, then we just lose, it happens.  We would all be angry but we at least made the best decisions to WIN the game.  We turn over on downs with under 1 min to go.

However, if we get a 1st down on that second down play then we have 24 yards to go and have just under 1 min after we snap the ball again.  Notice how I said a pass play... if we fail, then the clock stops with just over 50 seconds.  If we get a 1st down, then we have 14 yards to go and have about 40 seconds left.  I would be fine with TO at this point, though it isn't needed.  Run another play.  If successful, then take a TO, we should still have 20 some odd seconds on the clock.  Remember we can run a play with 1 second remaining and if we score, we still have to kick the XP no matter what.

Also, you have to think that maybe Tomlin calls one of his TOs as he knows that he NEEDs to get the ball back with time, so if he burns a TO, then we can use a run play to get the clock rolling again.  If not, then we he gets the ball back with so little time that it doesn't matter that he has all 3.

I don't know how you can say that I have the benefit of 20/20 when there was a thread created stating that We Knew, that the Bengals would lose after the score.  That isn't 20/20, that is knowing football.  I even said the moment he scored that we would lose because there was too much time on the clock.

I was hoping for a TO, either on downs or otherwise, but I wasn't holding my breath for it.

Could we have gained yards on a run play?  Who knows, we didn't even try to run the ball until the last play.  However at this point in the game the best coaches eat the clock and aren't looking to score until the last possible moment.  So a run play would have accomplished that.
Reply/Quote
Let’s see....

Wins. 2 Browns, Rats, Raiders and I am thinking we beat either or both of Saints and Chargers. Denver is at home so that helps us a lot.

I’m going to go either 10-6 or 11-5.
Reply/Quote
Needing a TD the Bengals had to try and score whenever they could.

But after the AJ catch put us on 2 line it was time to think.

AJ should have fell down in bounds to keep clock running per it no longer being an issue. Then Dalton should have run play clock down before snapping ball.

It is all we could have done without giving up downs which would be foolish needing score.

Put it on coaches for not pointing this out because players had a one track mind at the time. To score and get the lead.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote