Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Half Recap/Analysis?
I missed the entire 2nd half, but was able to "catch up" this morning via text descriptions of plays/drives on the Bengals app.

Some things I was able to surmise...

1. Looks like Mixon (and O-line) is still struggling with the run game. I see they had 1st and Goal from the 6 and couldn't punch it in.
2. Did Tyler Boyd really throw a pass to Chase? (Was it a WR sweep that turned into a pass play?)
3. Was nice to see Boyd and Hurst get some receptions, but what happened to Higgins, is he hurt again?
4. Looks like neither team sacked the QB much.

Anyhow, can those who watched the game give me some unbiased summary/analysis of how the Bengals looked?
There's only so much information one can extract from brief text descriptions of each play.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:22 AM)Tomkat Wrote: I missed the entire 2nd half, but was able to "catch up" this morning via text descriptions of plays/drives on the Bengals app.

1.  Looks like Mixon (and O-line) is still struggling with the run game.  I see they had 1st and Goal from the 6 and couldn't punch it in.
2.  Did Tyler Boyd really throw a pass to Chase?  (Was it a WR sweep that turned into a pass play?)
3.  Was nice to see Boyd and Hurst get some receptions, but what happened to Higgins, is he hurt again?
4.  Looks like neither team sacked the QB much.

Anyhow, can those who watched the game give me some unbiased summary/analysis of how the Bengals looked?
There's only so much information one can extract from brief text descriptions of each play.

Higgins pretty much carried the night!
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:22 AM)Tomkat Wrote: I missed the entire 2nd half, but was able to "catch up" this morning via text descriptions of plays/drives on the Bengals app.

1.  Looks like Mixon (and O-line) is still struggling with the run game.  I see they had 1st and Goal from the 6 and couldn't punch it in.
2.  Did Tyler Boyd really throw a pass to Chase?  (Was it a WR sweep that turned into a pass play?)
3.  Was nice to see Boyd and Hurst get some receptions, but what happened to Higgins, is he hurt again?

1) run game struggled, but Miami is pretty good against the run too. Our struggles against one of their strengths didn't bode too well. Mixon missed a couple of big holes too though.

2) Yes. They sold the WR sweep with Chase in motion and stopping briefly to make it look like he was going to block. Sucked the LBs in and froze the safety a second and Boyd made a beautiful throw.

3) I'm not sure what you mean there, Higgins was our best player on offense.

4) Our pass pro looked much improved. Theirs was pretty good and they were getting it out quickly. Secondary had a good night overall.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd also add that them running the RPO takes a lot of discipline and kinda slows up your pass rush as a result. Mike Hilton almost got a couple of sacks on corner blitzes, and pressure caused a few errant throws.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:48 AM)Wyche Wrote: 3) I'm not sure what you mean there, Higgins was our best player on offense.

I agree with this... for the 1st half. 

I didn't see his name appear much in the 2nd half (maybe once or twice) - but I could be wrong as I only did a brief review of the text descriptions.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:52 AM)Tomkat Wrote:  
I agree with this... for the 1st half. 

I didn't see his name appear much in the 2nd half (maybe once or twice) - but I could be wrong as I only did a brief review of the text descriptions.

Oh, I gotcha. Boyd had a couple of nice plays in the second, Chase had a real nice long ball, it seemed the Dolphins were ignoring Tee early, and found that to be a huge mistake, lol. Not literally ignoring, but were challenging him to beat them and it didn't work out too well. Phins seemed to adjust to that, but others found targets and quite a bit of checkdown stuff too. 

Reply/Quote
Tee had a few more catches in the second as I recall, but nothing over like fifteen yards.

Reply/Quote

We beat a team that was 3-0. They hung 42 on the Ravens in a win and beat the Bills, two of the better teams in the NFL. So I'm very happy.

However, IMHO they have to get the run game figured out. It once again stunk! Mixon had like 2.5 yards a carry and was stuffed like a Christmas turkey at the LOS more often than not.

Yes Tyler Boyd threw a really nice pass to Chase on a fake WR sweep.

Higgins had a great game.

WE had some pressure on a few plays but it wasn't great.

Logan Wilson was all over the field making plays. Von Bell had two Interceptions. Overall nice game by D and Oline blocked well on pass pro.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 09:55 AM)Wyche Wrote: Oh, I gotcha. Boyd had a couple of nice plays in the second, Chase had a real nice long ball, it seemed the Dolphins were ignoring Tee early, and found that to be a huge mistake, lol. Not literally ignoring, but were challenging him to beat them and it didn't work out too well. Phins seemed to adjust to that, but others found targets and quite a bit of checkdown stuff too. 

On the radio they were saying that Chase and Boyd were double teamed with their best corner in single coverage on Higgins mostly. 

and Higgins Tee'd off on them. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:03 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We beat a team that was 3-0. They hung 42 on the Ravens in a win and beat the Bills, two of the better teams in the NFL. So I'm very happy.

However, IMHO they have to get the run game figured out. It once again stunk! Mixon had like 2.5 yards a carry and was stuffed like a Christmas turkey at the LOS more often than not.

Yes Tyler Boyd threw a really nice pass to Chase on a fake WR sweep.

Higgins had a great game.

WE had some pressure on a few plays but it wasn't great.

Logan Wilson was all over the field making plays. Von Bell had two Interceptions. Overall nice game by D and Oline blocked well on pass pro.

Did you notice how Uno helped sell the fake with his stall as if he was engaging to block before streaking down the field? Boyd did a helluva job selling it too. Great execution. 

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:08 AM)Go Cards Wrote: On the radio they were saying that Chase and Boyd were double teamed with their best corner in single coverage on Higgins mostly. 

and Higgins Tee'd off on them. 

Yep, Joe and Tee made em pay.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, Joe and Tee made em pay.

Especially when that corner went out with a hamstring and they put a backup on him. That opened everything up.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Especially when that corner went out with a hamstring and they put a backup on him. That opened everything up.

Yes, forgot that aspect. That wasn't a very good plan. Goes to show, those three are not going to be stopped. You can double TB and Chase, but Tee is going to torch you if you do. There's only so many defenders on the field. Any of the three are going to win one in ones a great deal of the time.

Reply/Quote
Al Michaels called the crowd restless more than once after Mixon rushed the ball. In fact the crowd had some noticeable boos.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:03 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: However, IMHO they have to get the run game figured out. It once again stunk! Mixon had like 2.5 yards a carry and was stuffed like a Christmas turkey at the LOS more often than not.

I honestly thought, after that TD 'run' (more like TD push), Mixon was going to be pumped and run extra hard leading to his best game of the season.

Obviously, I thought wrong.  Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:18 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I honestly thought, after that TD 'run' (more like TD push), Mixon was going to be pumped and run extra hard leading to his best game of the season.

Me too! I was like yes, finally

And then  Sick the rest of the night.
Reply/Quote
I think Tee got a little banged up (leg issue of some sort? ) but it doesn't seem serious and I believe still had snaps henceforth.
I forget what quarter it was in, but ADG had a nice pass break-up covering Waddle (which is a mismatch).
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:03 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We beat a team that was 3-0.

They weren't 3-0 with Teddy Bridgewater as the QB, though.
Reply/Quote
My observations:

1- Joe Mixon has lost a step. Multiple runs that should have gone for HUGE gains instead went for 4-7 yards. He could have walked into the endzone on the drive that stalled down to 4th and inches instead he took the wrong lane and ran straight into Collins.

2- the best play of the night was the long pass to Boyd. His route was perfection he left everyone behind what a great route design AND the line gave Burrow plenty of time to sit back there and make a good pass

3- the line at least from the eye test was much better. They gave burrow some very clean pockets and created some run lanes. They had some bad plays as well but overall improved.

4- Don’t agree with ZTs playcalling especially the 4th and 1 sweep. Again Mixon has clearly lost a step and the stretch/sweeps are not great for him. I did love the aggrassive play to Chase late in the game. Was hoping he would dial up one aggressive call and it paid off.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2022, 10:18 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I honestly thought, after that TD 'run' (more like TD push), Mixon was going to be pumped and run extra hard leading to his best game of the season.

(09-30-2022, 10:19 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me too! I was like yes, finally

And then  Sick the rest of the night.

Just found out in another thread that Mixon tweaked his ankle against the Jets. That explains a few things from last night where he just looked slow.

Reply/Quote