Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Round: D Line, interior O-line, or CB?
Assuming the team selects Sewell with the 3rd overall pick, which direction would you like to see the Bengals go in the second? To me, it has to be pass rush and/or interior D-line. A defense that gets gashed in the run game and generate zero pressure on passing downs is unacceptable. Given that coverage rules favor the offense, drafting tip end corner talent does little if the rush never gets home. I wouldn’t be disappointed if the pick was a quality guard, but would prefer d-line for the reasons stated above.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I don’t think WR or TE should be off the table in the 2nd, but out of the positions in the OP I’d prefer a pass rusher.

Depends what happens with WJ3 though. If he walks CB becomes a big need, but pass rush is already a big need.

I would prefer to address IOL in FA.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
While they need a lot of areas but Defensive Line is a huge problem right now and the front makes the back-end look better.

This looks like a good year for second and third round defensive linemen.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t mind replacing one Carlos with another (Basham). We did pretty well with our last Wake Forest pick.

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2020, 03:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wouldn’t mind replacing one Carlos with another (Basham). We did pretty well with our last Wake Forest pick.

Gah! Beat me to it.

Yes, if he is available, I would select Basham with our 2nd pick, as his production is great and measureables are as well... I just don't know if his stock will hold, especially with the dearth of Edge guys this year.

if he isn't available and Marshall is, I'm all-in on Marshall.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
IMO getting after the opponent's QB. This team has only 2 more sacks (13) than TJ Watt has by himself. But the $100 question is whether this is talent or scheme. It cannot be over look that in 9 games here Carlos had 1 sack and he's had 4 in 3 games at Seattle. Hubbard has gone from 8.5 to 1.

If we go Sewell in the first )although I'd argue Rousseau was just as dominant as Sewell in 2019) we definitely need to go DL. I personally have my eye on Nixon from Iowa. We could use our own Aaron Donald. Nixon lives in the opponent's backfield.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 11:51 AM)bfine32 Wrote: IMO getting after the opponent's QB. This team has only 2 more sacks (13) than TJ Watt has by himself. But the $100 question is whether this is talent or scheme. It cannot be over look that in 9 games here Carlos had 1 sack and he's had 4 in 3 games at Seattle. Hubbard has gone from 8.5 to 1.

If we go Sewell in the first )although I'd argue Rousseau was just as dominant as Sewell in 2019) we definitely need to go DL. I personally have my eye on Nixon from Iowa. We could use our own Aaron Donald. Nixon lives in the opponent's backfield.

Sewell definitely has the edge in accolades. Not the end all be all ofc (Billy Price won a Rimington Award after all). It’s a bit harder to quantify just how dominant an offensive lineman was, but not allowing a single sack in 2019, and only one in 1376 snaps is about as impressive as it gets.

Sewell:
Outland Trophy
Morris Trophy
Unanimous All-American
AP first team All-American
First team All Pac-12

Rousseau:
ACC DROY
First team All-ACC
Second team All-American

Reply/Quote
Best available EDGE.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-04-2020, 02:24 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Assuming the team selects Sewell with the 3rd overall pick, which direction would you like to see the Bengals go in the second?  To me, it has to be pass rush and/or interior D-line.  A defense that gets gashed in the run game and generate zero pressure on passing downs is unacceptable.  Given that coverage rules favor the offense, drafting tip end corner talent does little if the rush never gets home.  I wouldn’t be disappointed if the pick was a quality guard, but would prefer d-line for the reasons stated above.

Tough to say without seeing what happens in FA.  I would say that if we're taking Sewell in the 1st, then I don't want to see an OL in round 2.  In that scenario, you're basically starting 2 rookie OL and I think that's a recipe for disaster.
Reply/Quote
We're in a position where you could conceivably take the best player available in each round. There might be a spot here or there where it wouldn't make sense, but we really do need help everywhere.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 01:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sewell definitely has the edge in accolades. Not the end all be all ofc (Billy Price won a Rimington Award after all). It’s a bit harder to quantify just how dominant an offensive lineman was, but not allowing a single sack in 2019, and only one in 1376 snaps is about as impressive as it gets.

Sewell:
Outland Trophy
Morris Trophy
Unanimous All-American
First team All Pac-12

Rousseau:
ACC DROY
First team All-ACC
Second team All-American

Never said they were equally decorated, but 15.5 sacks as a red shirt Freshman in the ACC is quite dominate. 

Reply/Quote
OL, DL, OL, DL, OL, DL, OL...
Reply/Quote
Guard, TE, EDGE, or secondary would be where I'd look first.  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 01:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sewell definitely has the edge in accolades. Not the end all be all ofc (Billy Price won a Rimington Award after all). It’s a bit harder to quantify just how dominant an offensive lineman was, but not allowing a single sack in 2019, and only one in 1376 snaps is about as impressive as it gets.

Sewell:
Outland Trophy
Morris Trophy
Unanimous All-American
First team All Pac-12

Rousseau:
ACC DROY
First team All-ACC
Second team All-American

We have a shot at Rousseau?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 08:43 PM)Interceptor Wrote: We have a shot at Rousseau?

He’ll definitely go in the top half of the first round. We’d either have to take him at 3, or trade back with a team picking relatively high.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 08:43 PM)Interceptor Wrote: We have a shot at Rousseau?

I'd say we're about one win away.

No way Jax is winning 2 of their games left and NYJ damn sure aren't winning 3. 

We win one and LAC loses out and we pick #4. I'd take GR over anyone other than Sewell (I'm not counting the QBs).  

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 10:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd say we're about one win away.

No way Jax is winning 2 of their games left and NYJ damn sure aren't winning 3. 

We win one and LAC loses out and we pick #4. I'd take GR over anyone other than Sewell (I'm not counting the QBs).  

Thought you were really down on the kids that opted out?

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 10:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Thought you were really down on the kids that opted out?

Well it appears, other than QB, all the big names opted out (Sewell, GR, Parsons, Chase). Opting out doesn't make me cross someone off the list, but it is a strike against all things being equal. And if given the option I'd trade back and take a couple dogs that laced them up this year. 

Reply/Quote
Opting out really isn't any different than a year off due to injury. Except that you don't have a repaired body part, starting out. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2020, 11:51 AM)bfine32 Wrote: IMO getting after the opponent's QB. This team has only 2 more sacks (13) than TJ Watt has by himself. But the $100 question is whether this is talent or scheme. It cannot be over look that in 9 games here Carlos had 1 sack and he's had 4 in 3 games at Seattle. Hubbard has gone from 8.5 to 1.

If the Bengals do trade back I expect it's because they are targeting Gregory Rousseau. 

Daviyon Nixon is exploding into the spotlight this year. He is the most disruptive IDL in college football but even if he declares he only has the one year starting. I'm working on my December mock and have him at 35. Spoiler Alert lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote