Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd round pick
It's pretty much assumed the 2ND pick is contingent on who goes in the first, Chase or Sewell. But what if an unexpected higher rated defensive player slips? What defensive player would you grab over a need at WR or Offensive line in the 2nd?

Obviously if we go Chase and then pic defense people will lose their shit which is why I am curious. Stay true to board or stretch for need?
Reply/Quote
Parsons, Barmore, or Paye. Possibly one of the top CBs.

Out of those, I think Barmore might slip into the top of the first round. If I had to choose between Barmore or Leatherwood, for example, I’d probably pick Leatherwood. Barmore or Cosmi, probably Barmore.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 11:04 AM)yang Wrote: It's pretty much assumed the 2ND pick is contingent on who goes in the first, Chase or Sewell.  But what if  an unexpected higher rated defensive player slips?  What defensive player would you grab over a need at WR or Offensive line in the 2nd?

Obviously if we go Chase and then pic defense people will lose their shit which is why I am curious.  Stay true to board or stretch for need?

If you listen to some of the so called "experts" on the board you can't draft for need, have to take BPA.

Which is wrong.

That would mean if the Bengals have the 1st pick... they should take Lawrence which is a waste.

The reality is you have to mix BPA with areas of need to actually improve with the draft. Problem is Edge is an area of need for the Bengals, so if a high graded defender falls to them in round 2, they will probably pull the trigger and push OL till round 3.

This is how the draft fell for them last year. Higgins probably wasn't the target originally at the top of round 2, but with the way the board fell, it was too good of a value to pass on and it was a great pick. Unfortunately it means we went another year without addressing the O-line. Now, it seems will are going to toss another high round pick at the WR room, and I really see them taking a defender that gets pushed down the board after the O-line run starts at the end of day 1 and into day 2. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 11:27 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The reality is you have to mix BPA with areas of need to actually improve with the draft. Problem is Edge is an area of need for the Bengals, so if a high graded defender falls to them in round 2, they will probably pull the trigger and push OL till round 3.

This is a really good point. It can't always be pure BPA.  I imagine some sort of ranking method is used which grades the players 1 through 100 and then applies a modifier based on extent of the need.

Something like this +5 to rating for player at position requiring immediate starter, +3 need for year 2 starter, +1 depth.  The modifier is small enough to not kick a player up a round and essentially forcing a reach, while large enough to serve as a tie breaker in a situation like this year.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
I would think the need will be an interior lineman. But if we go defense here I'd say Ojulari, Barmore, Basham, and my sleeper pick would be Oweh who tested like a freak at 6'5 250 running a 4.39 with a 40 vertical.
Reply/Quote
Gregory Rousseau might slip after a below average Pro Day but his numbers were on par with what many thought he would run. His numbers are oddly reminiscent of Carlos Dunlap though.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
If we go Sewell in the first, I could see us taking Jaelan Phillips or Azeez Ojulari or a similarly talented pass rusher in the 2nd if they were to fall. We need pass rush help almost as much if not slightly more than WR help (we have two good WRs. We do not have two good pass rushers).

But if we go Chase in the first, I don't think it matters who is there in the 2nd on defense, you need to go OG/OT. We still have at least one  massive hole on our Oline and we can't sacrifice protecting Burrow just to further strengthen the defense that we have dedicated two entire free agency classes to already.
Reply/Quote
Wahington Edge Joe Tryon is a forgotten name that will be a late first early second round pick. Its his Pro Day today.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Kinda "cheating" IMO to list a dlineman as something other than "position of need". I feel the only "non-positions of need" would be DB, QB, and RB. So in that spirit; mine would be:
Harris or Etienne (RB)
Horn or Newsome II (CB)
None (QB)
None (S)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 12:05 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I would think the need will be an interior lineman.  But if we go defense here I'd say Ojulari, Barmore, Basham, and my sleeper pick would be Oweh who tested like a freak at 6'5 250 running a 4.39 with a 40 vertical.

I really like all these guys and agree Oweh is a freak.  I'd hate to pass on a stud defensive player we could use to get what might end up being a guard or a non-stud WR. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 12:37 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If we go Sewell in the first, I could see us taking Jaelan Phillips or Azeez Ojulari or a similarly talented pass rusher in the 2nd if they were to fall. We need pass rush help almost as much if not slightly more than WR help (we have two good WRs. We do not have two good pass rushers).

But if we go Chase in the first, I don't think it matters who is there in the 2nd on defense, you need to go OG/OT. We still have at least one  massive hole on our Oline and we can't sacrifice protecting Burrow just to further strengthen the defense that we have dedicated two entire free agency classes to already.

You can get a guard in the 3rd and there are still free agents and more to come.  It's why I tend to go with BPA, but weighted on position a little.  

Chase, Ojulari,  Landon Dickerson would be awesome I think.  
Reply/Quote
Well, acording to this, since he had limited participation in his pro day, Christian Darrisaw may well fall to us in the 2nd.....
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/3/30/22356832/christian-darrisaw-bengals-draft-2021-virginia-tech-hokies-news-vt-football

Quote:If the Cincinnati Bengals decide to pick Ja’Marr Chase with the fifth overall pick, there could still be talented offensive linemen on the board in the second round.

Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network released his pre-draft rankings, and Virginia Tech Hokies standout Christian Darrisaw fell ten spots down his list, which puts him within the Bengals reach in the second round.

In his original assessment, Jeremiah had the Virginia Tech tackle as the 28th best prospect in the class. In his second, which came out after the Senior Bowl, he moved Darrisaw up to the 26th spot on his list.

Jeremiah’s third list came out after Virginia Tech’s Pro Day, in which Darrisaw had minimal participation. He only did position drills, and since there is no combine, his lack of measurable traits drove his name down the list.
Now, Darrisaw is Jeremiah’s 36th best player in this draft class. If his assessment is anything close to what NFL executives see, then Darrisaw could realistically fall to the Bengals at No. 38 overall. At the very least, it wouldn’t take much for the Bengals to trade up a few spots in the second and grab him.

Here’s what Jeremiah says about Darrisaw:

Darrisaw was a solid, reliable starter at left tackle during his career with the Hokies. He has ideal size, length and balance. In the passing game, he has average foot quickness in his set but can bend his knees and plays with a firm base. He has a sharp two-hand punch and generally keeps defenders away from his chest. He plays with excellent awareness. He uses his upper-body strength to torque and turn defenders in the run game. He takes good angles to the second level, where he’s able to position and wall off linebackers. He will have some trouble adjusting in space because of his average change-of-direction skills. I view Darrisaw as a player who’ll be starting at right tackle very early in his NFL career.

For what it’s worth, Jeremiah has Rashawn Slater at ninth, Penei Sewell at 12th, and Alijah Vera-Tucker at 15th. The Bengals could trade down a few spots and still get a talented offensive lineman, according to Jeremiah’s rankings.

Jeremiah also has Landon Dickerson and Liam Eichenberg just below Darrisaw. The Bengals could still get some good offensive linemen, even if Darrisaw is off the board.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 02:28 PM)yang Wrote: You can get a guard in the 3rd and there are still free agents and more to come.  It's why I tend to go with BPA, but weighted on position a little.  

Chase, Ojulari,  Landon Dickerson would be awesome I think.  

Potentially. I'm not sure if they'd be ready to start day 1 though. We got a guard in the 4th round in 2019 and he is the reason our QB is in rehab right now. And we traded up for that guy, so that's the level of talent evaluation on this coaching staff. I'd be much more comfortable with a 1st or 2nd round pick if we're relying on them to start from day 1.

If we sign a free agent, then obviously that would change our draft priorities though.

All I know is this was the same general song the coaches and fans were singing last off season. The idea that our offensive line is really not that bad, we don't need to address it early. We have guys developing. We can sign a free agent etc. I don't want us to make the same exact mistake two off seasons in a row.

Fix the Oline. It's the priority and I think not doing so will only hurt the coaching staff's credibility among fans, even more so than it already is.
Reply/Quote
No matter who the 2nd RD pick he has to be a contributor in 2021
No reaching on a bum like Drew Sample who 2 years
Later still cant make plays consistantly

Its a high 2nd RD pick. No excuse why he cant get some important sn snaps in 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 11:27 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If you listen to some of the so called "experts" on the board you can't draft for need, have to take BPA.

Which is wrong.

That would mean if the Bengals have the 1st pick... they should take Lawrence which is a waste.

The reality is you have to mix BPA with areas of need to actually improve with the draft. Problem is Edge is an area of need for the Bengals, so if a high graded defender falls to them in round 2, they will probably pull the trigger and push OL till round 3.

This is how the draft fell for them last year. Higgins probably wasn't the target originally at the top of round 2, but with the way the board fell, it was too good of a value to pass on and it was a great pick. Unfortunately it means we went another year without addressing the O-line. Now, it seems will are going to toss another high round pick at the WR room, and I really see them taking a defender that gets pushed down the board after the O-line run starts at the end of day 1 and into day 2. 
Is lawrence the best overall player in the Draft?  Qbs tend to go before they should on the overall big board.

Cardinals took a QB #1 overall back to back... And it seems like they made the right choice (the second time)
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 04:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Is lawrence the best overall player in the Draft?  Qbs tend to go before they should on the overall big board.

Cardinals took a QB #1 overall back to back... And it seems like they made the right choice (the second time)

Lawrence is widely viewed as not only the best prospect in this class but the best QB prospect in years. (I know this will get me yelled out around here.)

He is an absolute no brainer of a pick and with the weapons he has there plus the coaching, he might set rookie QB records.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 02:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, acording to this, since he had limited participation in his pro day, Christian Darrisaw may well fall to us in the 2nd.....
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/3/30/22356832/christian-darrisaw-bengals-draft-2021-virginia-tech-hokies-news-vt-football

This would be too good to be true.

I always think writers and so called "experts" get hung up on the pro day numbers and then forget the game tape from an entire season.

Darrisaw's tape shows a guy who improved season after season and held up well against great competition in the ACC.

I think writer's get excited about the Pro Day's and such, but most teams stick to what they have on tape and use Pro Days to talk to prospects and have them run specific drills they want to see. 

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 04:37 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Lawrence is widely viewed as not only the best prospect in this class but the best QB prospect in years. (I know this will get me yelled out around here.)

He is an absolute no brainer of a pick and with the weapons he has there plus the coaching, he might set rookie QB records.

theres always one of those BEST QB in years in every draft isnt there? most overused phrase out side of Generational talent.. (can only be one of those every 10+ years )
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 04:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: theres always one of those BEST QB in years in every draft isnt there? most overused phrase out side of Generational talent.. (can only be one of those every 10+ years )

Yup

Wish more people realized that before tossing it around on every guy they want to see us take... Chase.... Pitts...

Both top level prospects, but neither one of them is something the league hasn't already seen. 

Same with Lawrence. I'm as big as a Clemson fan as there is, and he will be good in the NFL, and if given a good line, good weapons and good coaching has the chance to win the Super Bowl.. but he isn't some magical unicorn of a prospect, just like Burrow wasn't and all the people taken in previous drafts.

Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, those are guys that when they came to the league, no one knew how to prepare for them.

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 02:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, acording to this, since he had limited participation in his pro day, Christian Darrisaw may well fall to us in the 2nd.....

Darisaw makes it to 30 and I'm offering our 2nd and 4th to jump KC.
Reply/Quote