Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carl Lawson & William Jackson
(12-14-2020, 11:34 PM)jason Wrote: Agreed... Frankly I'm ok with letting them both walk if they're gonna require big contracts to retain them. Neither one of them are worth the franchise tag.

I am fine with resigning  both as long as the money makes sense --neither is worth 15mil+ and absolutely neither should be given the franchise tag

Interesting that the talk is tagging them instead of just flat out signing them. It speaks volumes about the lack of trust in the front office. We know what we have in both Lawson and WJIII. The price only goes up as the season winds down. Offering the extension in the middle of the season protects the player against a late season injury derailing their FA. Once the season ends - it only makes sense to wait to FA. Bengal management does not understand this concept. 

This team has so many holes that allowing both to leave just creates more and tagging either is a gross overpayment 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 04:08 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote:
What would be the trade market for them if we tagged either with a view to trading?

They're not elite players but they are above average players hitting their primes and who may benefit from being at a better run franchise, playing alongside better players.

The salary hit on the tag would be restrictive but if it allowed the trading partner the opportunity to discuss a long term deal first?

I think that would be a counterproductive idea.  So you trade one or both of them, then what?  You're still stuck gambling on draft picks that may or not pan out.  IMO, neither of them are worth the salary value of the tag, the impending cap situation is going to make it tough for either of them to get max deals anywhere else, so why not just offer them fair compensation deals and continue to add talent to unseat them?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote