Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Biggest Needs for Next Offseason
Now that we've had the bulk of FA and also the draft, we wait to see how the 2021 season plays out.
However, I do think we can reasonably guess biggest need(s) going into the 2022 season, with some assumptions of course.

Assumptions:
- Jessie Bates is extended
- Jackson Carman solidifies one of the OL spots
- Riley Reiff departs next year
- QB, WRs, DE, NT, and CB are set
- At least one OG spot still needs improved
- TEs are lackluster again

So going into next season, I predict the following three biggest needs to address in FA/draft:
- 1-2 OL
- Pass rushing IDL
- Pass catching TE

What three biggest needs do you see to address next offseason?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If we take your assumptions, then I think next year's draft will be:
1. Top grade OT
2. Pass rushing DT
3. Pass catching TE
4. Another DE (As you did not indicate Hubbard re-signs in your assumptions).

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't invest in another guard in the draft and will likely just re-sign Spain or XSF. Alternatively, one of our later round draft picks from the last few years could step in.

Our roster is looking pretty decent. I don't think we're playoff ready yet but, who knows, if a few guys (like Carman and our young LBs) over perform and if Chase is the super star we all hope he is, we could sneak in as a wild card.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 12:21 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If we take your assumptions, then I think next year's draft will be:
1. Top grade OT
2. Pass rushing DT
3. Pass catching TE
4. Another DE (As you did not indicate Hubbard re-signs in your assumptions).

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't invest in another guard in the draft and will likely just re-sign Spain or XSF. Alternatively, one of our later round draft picks from the last few years could step in.

Our roster is looking pretty decent. I don't think we're playoff ready yet but, who knows, if a few guys (like Carman and our young LBs) over perform and if Chase is the super star we all hope he is, we could sneak in as a wild card.

I didn't list Hubbard as an assumption primarily because I think the Bengals got a great pick in Ossai, who would be a fine replacement if Hubbard doesn't re-sign. So I guess I don't think it really makes a difference if he re-signs or not.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
CB1- Trae isn't it and will be 30 next year; plus the Bengals can cut him and save 11 Million in cap.- Most likely the Bengals draft a CB in the first don't be surprised if it's another LSU product in Derrick Stingley

Base End- The Bengals do not have a complete End on their team so I would look for them address this early in the draft. Best bet Aidan Hutchinson from Michigan in round 2.

3T- agreed look for the Bengals to address this need majorly. Demetrius Taylor from App ST and Dom Peterson from Nevada are two guys who should be there come the third and 4th RDs
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 01:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't list Hubbard as an assumption primarily because I think the Bengals got a great pick in Ossai, who would be a fine replacement if Hubbard doesn't re-sign. So I guess I don't think it really makes a difference if he re-signs or not.
Hubbard is going to be re-signed 100% guaranteed. If they lose anyone it would be Hendrickson.
J24

Reply/Quote
Offensive line. For the sixth f’n year in a row.
Reply/Quote
Most likely:

Head coach
Defensive coordinator
Offensive Coordinator
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 02:10 PM)J24 Wrote: CB1- Trae isn't it and will be 30 next year; plus the Bengals can cut him and save 11 Million in cap.- Most likely the Bengals draft a CB in the first don't be surprised if it's another LSU product in Derrick Stingley

Base End- The Bengals do not have a complete End on their team so I would look for them address this early in the draft. Best bet Aidan Hutchinson from Michigan in round 2.

3T- agreed look for the Bengals to address this need majorly. Demetrius Taylor from App ST and Dom Peterson from Nevada are two guys who should be there come the third and 4th RDs

If they move on from Waynes, I could definitely see CB taken in Rd 1. 
I would hope (definitely just a hope given what we've seen this offseason) that they would repurpose that $11 mill toward a definitive upgrade on the OL.

Given Derrick Stingley is considered right now to be CB1 in the draft class, it might mean he's a Top 10 or even Top 5 pick. If the Bengals end up Top 10 again in the draft, I'd put money down that Taylor and Anarumo are gone.

Why do you think they would lose Hendrickson? Just underperforming to the contract he was signed to?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 03:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If they move on from Waynes, I could definitely see CB taken in Rd 1. 
I would hope (definitely just a hope given what we've seen this offseason) that they would repurpose that $11 mill toward a definitive upgrade on the OL.

Given Derrick Stingley is considered right now to be CB1 in the draft class, it might mean he's a Top 10 or even Top 5 pick. If the Bengals end up Top 10 again in the draft, I'd put money down that Taylor and Anarumo are gone.

Why do you think they would lose Hendrickson? Just underperforming to the contract he was signed to?
I don't think we're going to be a very good team( we will be a "fun Team" as in were going to score a lot of points) this year. So I fully expect to be drafting in the top 5 once again and Taylor + Staff to be gone(except Simmons). So that's why I think Stingley will most likely be the pick.

As for Hendrickson I don't think he will be worth the contract(underperforming) and he doesn't fit what the Bengals like in an end as far has length/height combo + he really isn't one of their guys since they didn't draft him. so I don't expect him to be around here for the rest of his contract. He probably will be around here next season though no matter what.

My prediction is we finish 5-12 and dead last in division. The offense will be a top 5 unit but Defensively we will be a bottom 3 unit. Similar to this year's Texans! 

Zimmer will be fired from Minnesota and become the Bengals next coach. He will bring Guenther back as Defensive Coordinator and Hue will be the Offensive coordinator. The whole off-season will be back to restoring the Defense.
J24

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 04:14 PM)J24 Wrote: I don't think we're going to be a very good team( we will be a "fun Team" as in were going to score a lot of points) this year. So I fully expect to be drafting in the top 5 once again and Taylor + Staff to be gone(except Simmons). So that's why I think Stingley will most likely be the pick.

As for Hendrickson I don't think he will be worth the contract(underperforming) and he doesn't fit what the Bengals like in an end as far has length/height combo + he really isn't one of their guys since they didn't draft him. so I don't expect him to be around here for the rest of his contract. He probably will be around here next season though no matter what.

My prediction is we finish 5-12 and dead last in division. The offense will be a top 5 unit but Defensively we will be a bottom 3 unit. Similar to this year's Texans! 

Zimmer will be fired from Minnesota and become the Bengals next coach. He will bring Guenther back as Defensive Coordinator and Hue will be the Offensive coordinator. The whole off-season will be back to restoring the Defense.
What do you mean Hendrickson doesn't have the height-length combo?
He's 6'4", 270 lb.
Are you thinking he's still too small? Or too big?

I think if a 5-12 record happens, Taylor is definitely gone.
I might lean toward Joe Brady as the next HC though, as the Bengals invested a lot into turning the offense into the 2019 LSU Tigers. They may want to cap it off with getting the OC from that team.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 03:07 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: Most likely:

Head coach
Defensive coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Still this  we didnt upgrade any of that and they were our WORST assets last season and the year before.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 04:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What do you mean Hendrickson doesn't have the height-length combo?
He's 6'4", 270 lb.
Are you thinking he's still too small? Or too big?

I think if a 5-12 record happens, Taylor is definitely gone.
I might lean toward Joe Brady as the next HC though, as the Bengals invested a lot into turning the offense into the 2019 LSU Tigers. They may want to cap it off with getting the OC from that team.

To small; I don't think Hendrickson has the preferred Arm length to be a true Base End( he has 32 inch arms when 33 inch and above is preferred) in  Zimmers scheme.  If he is on the roster next season I think he will be used more as a Nickel Edge guy. 

With that being said if Oassi performs like he is capable of this season that would solidify his role as top Nickel Edge for the future. Which would put Hendrickson and his expensive contract in a tough spot. The Bengals could save 7 million in cap next season if they cut him.

Brady would be an excellent choice but he is a young guy that resembles  Zac. I don't think the organization would want to hire a similar guy to Zac after the debacle that is the Zac era. 

If they cut Wayne and Hendrickson that could give them 18 million in cap space they could use on an elite offensive lineman in FA.

I have Zimmer as the next coach because A.) The Defense will need a ton of work and bringing that back to prominence will be a huge deal for the front office. B.) Plus Zimmer just fits  the organization  + the fans love him.
J24

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 05:29 PM)J24 Wrote: To small; I don't think Hendrickson has the preferred Arm length to be a true Base End( he has 32 inch arms when 33 inch and above is preferred) in  Zimmers scheme.  If he is on the roster next season I think he will be used more as a Nickel Edge guy. 

With that being said if Oassi performs like he is capable of this season that would solidify his role as top Nickel Edge for the future. Which would put Hendrickson and his expensive contract in a tough spot. The Bengals could save 7 million in cap next season if they cut him.

Brady would be an excellent choice but he is a young guy that resembles  Zac. I don't think the organization would want to hire a similar guy to Zac after the debacle that is the Zac era. 

If they cut Wayne and Hendrickson that could give them 18 million in cap space they could use on an elite offensive lineman in FA.

I have Zimmer as the next coach because A.) The Defense will need a ton of work and bringing that back to prominence will be a huge deal for the front office. B.) Plus Zimmer just fits  the organization  + the fans love him.

Difference with Taylor and Brady that I see is Brady actually has experience and proven success running an offense whereas Taylor did not.
Taylor's entire resume was built around the improvement Jared Goff made with the Rams and his "vision." He had no success running an offense prior to coming to the Bengals.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 05:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Difference with Taylor and Brady that I see is Brady actually has experience and proven success running an offense whereas Taylor did not.
Taylor's entire resume was built around the improvement Jared Goff made with the Rams and his "vision." He had no success running an offense prior to coming to the Bengals.

I don't disagree with you that Brady will be a good coach I just don't see the Bengals picking him over Zimmer(who I assume will be fired).
J24

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 06:04 PM)J24 Wrote: I don't disagree with you that Brady will be a good coach I just don't see the Bengals picking him over Zimmer(who I assume will be fired).

They may go Zimmer, which I would be perfectly fine with.
Even though it'd be bringing back a bunch of old coaches, I do think a combo of Zimmer as HC with Guenther as DC and Jackson as OC would do fine.
Regardless, I'm with you in that I don't think Taylor and Anarumo will bring the results we need/want this year, despite having a generally solid offseason of talent acquisition via FA and draft.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 04:14 PM)J24 Wrote: I don't think we're going to be a very good team( we will be a "fun Team" as in were going to score a lot of points) this year. So I fully expect to be drafting in the top 5 once again and Taylor + Staff to be gone(except Simmons). So that's why I think Stingley will most likely be the pick.

I'm having a very hard time seeing that.  The Bengals were 29th in total offense and 26th in total defense.  If the offense becomes a Top 5 unit, that means more ToP, worse field position for the opponent, and the opponent being forced to be more one dimensional on offense.  The Texans were also only 13th in total offense, not top 5.  
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 10:54 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm having a very hard time seeing that.  The Bengals were 29th in total offense and 26th in total defense.  If the offense becomes a Top 5 unit, that means more ToP, worse field position for the opponent, and the opponent being forced to be more one dimensional on offense.  The Texans were also only 13th in total offense, not top 5.  

Okay let me rephrase we will have a top 5 QB performance but our defense will suck so bad that we will finish with a 5-12 record. 
J24

Reply/Quote
Best offensive tackle in the league round 1. But I bet their will be some athletic skill players who’s super flashy and rising up draft boards that we will take instead of offensive lineman all over again
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 02:49 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Offensive line. For the sixth f’n year in a row.

Tiger
No we shouldn't need an offensive tackle for quite sometime at least 8 years. We got our guys over the last few days. No, I'm not over it yet and its going to take a bit as a longtime fan. I'll get down route 4 towards Fairfield eventually but not until week.....
That was a MB/ Paul Alexander move so its gonna take me some time.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:29 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
No we shouldn't need an offensive tackle for quite sometime at least 8 years. We got our guys over the last few days. No, I'm not over it yet and its going to take a bit as a longtime fan. I'll get down route 4 towards Fairfield eventually but not until week.....
That was a MB/ Paul Alexander move so its gonna take me some time.

Luckily, the Bengals have their starting OTs for this year in Jonah and Reiff, so it allows a year of development for Smith and Carman, although I do expect Carman to start at RG instead of being a backup OT this year.

I don't have faith that Smith will be ready to take the reins at RT in 2022, and if Carman moves to RT in 2022, it leaves a gap at RG again.

So I don't necessarily think OT is a need yet, but some OL spot likely will be.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote