Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Biggest Needs for Next Offseason
I usually look at needs based on where we have the least talent or the worst performers.

1. TE. With Uzomnah coming off an injury, there just isn't a lot of talent here.
2. CB. We'll see on this one, but if Waynes doesn't perform at a decent level this year, he can be cut pretty easy
3. DT/Inside Pass Rusher.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 03:07 PM)SErebel11 Wrote: Most likely:

Head coach
Defensive coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

I think that ZT gets a 4th year unless the wheels completely fall off. That’s a Brown MO all the way. We have a lot of new pieces on the team so it’s going to take some time to work itself out.
Reply/Quote
1-CB1
2-RT
3-LB
4-IOL
5-IDL
6-WR
7-TE
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good OP. Taking those assumptions...let's start in areas where it is very likely we will need help:

1) OT.

Gonna be high on the list. We'll see if Jonah can stay healthy and how he does. We'll have a year of Smith's progress to assess. And if Pollack can turn Johnson or Adeniji into salvageable players. Likely we will need a RT with Reiff gone, possibly a LT as well if Jonah has issues. As we seem organizationally opposed to spending big $$ on OL FAs, drafting a tackle then becomes the way to go.

2) OG.

Even if Carman hits, we are still looking at Spain/XSF on the other side. Maybe Pollack fixes Jordan. Or Smith blossoms to a great LG. But LG will likely need an upgrade.

3) Pass catching TE.

CJ was playing well before the injury, but Achilles is a big deal. Sample is OK. A dynamic pass catcher or a block/catch dual threat to complete Burrow's set of toys would be cool.

4) WR depth.

Chase, Higgins, & Boyd is fantastic. Thomas, Tate + Morgan/Lees/Robinson/Irwin/Washington is not so hot. Even if one (or two!) of the slash guys blossom, we could still use better depth. Probably Rd 3 or lower, though. Those top 3 are awful strong. Or maybe we get a vet taking a discount to play with Burrow.
--------------------

Now let's move into possible areas of need.

1) CB.

Waynes, Awuzie, & Hilton (& Apple) have not played one snap for the Bengals yet. 4/5ths of our top 5 CBs. Eli is on a short term deal. Phillips was carping about PT last year. And we have not seen the others play. Feel good about Hilton, but the others?

2) LB.

We were not good last year. Bynes was probably the best & we let him walk. Wilson, ADG, and Bailey were rookies, Pratt still young. Wilson showed flashes and will start next to Pratt. ADG not that impressive. Bailey barely played. Evans a ST/depth guy. If 2-3 of these guys come good (Wilson, Pratt, Bailey, ADG) then we are looking for a bit of depth. If it is only 1, or none, then we need lots of help.

3) DE.

Like CB, lot of unknowns, young guys. If Hendrickson, Ossai, & Sample look legit, and Hubbard inks a deal, we are set. If there are some misses there, we need help. Kareem looks mediocre at best.
----------

I feel pretty good about DT. Reader, Shelvin, & Tupou at NT. We may have to cut a good player (assuming Tupou plays this year). 3T is a bit weaker: Ogunjobi, Daniels, Wren. Sample/Hubbard may slide down some. Wren has tons of upside if he can finally stay healthy.

Feel goid about Bates & Bell at S. Allen should be fine as a backup and Wilson is an excellent KR. If a stud falls in our lap at SS, then maybe. But not a priority most likely. Henderson is functional on the PS.

I was not a fan of letting Gio go. That was dumb. Still, Mixon + Perine is fine. They are hoping Evans or one of the Williams' can be a 3rd down back. Or that Mixon turns into one. We'll see. Still, not a glaring need.

QB. We are set.
Reply/Quote