Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Biggest Needs going into 2017.
1. New owner
2. GM (see #1)
3. Organization to stop being mired in loyalty and not accountability/results (see #1 and #2)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 07:10 AM)sonofstat Wrote: I refuse to put OT & CB as a biggest need...just out of pure stubbornness.

Quite simply between the coaching staff and Dennard/Jackson/Ced/Fisher we need to fashion at least 2-3 quality starters otherwise the drain on the other areas of the team is too debilitating.

A lot of it depends on who they resign of course...interior OL is a need and if Zeitler goes you think that's a very high need.

Cannot remember the last time we drafted a highly rated, round 1-2 LB. I know we appear not to value the group as high as perimeter players but we're really making do with UDFA, low draft picks for a while now.  

Agreed on a flat out burner WR but I'm not sure you have to go really high to get one of them  (although maybe Mario Alford shows you why you do!).

I thought Cody Core was supposed to be a burner. Of course he is nowhere to be found.

With the overall quality of this year's team there will not be enough draft picks to fix it--especially if the players selected are no better than the ones Marvy took in the last 2-3 drafts. Sad
Reply/Quote
1.HC 2.OC 3.DC
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 09:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Michael Johnson was a lot like Robert Geathers. One flukey season and a career of mediocre. Like me and Zerker used to say, MJ collected most of those 11.5 sacks against backup tackles. Plus he turns 30 in February. I'd say most of the core is close to or past the end of their primes. 

Re-boot 3.0 might be coming soon.

That is a sad thought.  I had really hoped they were not going to go through "re-boots", that the drafting and development would make them able to plug guys in as others left.  Some of these drafts are beginning to look less stellar as we get a couple years out.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 10:38 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Offensive Coordinator.
Offensive line coach.
Head coach.

Nailed it!

(10-18-2016, 10:51 PM)J24 Wrote: I would say the Bengals are 3 or 4 legit players away from winning a chip.
1.) Center- Bodine sucks and he has been a leak week for years
2.)Nickle Dt- we have zero pass rush coming from that position
3.) Wr- agreed we need a legit 2 that can go deep

I agree with you on needing a drive blocking Center.  On DT, I believe having Andrew Billings next year will be like getting a bonus draft pick.  As far as WR?  I think that we're fine.  LaFell is playing well, Boyd is developing nicely, and I think that Core will emerge as a deep threat next year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 02:29 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: That is a sad thought.  I had really hoped they were not going to go through "re-boots", that the drafting and development would make them able to plug guys in as others left.  Some of these drafts are beginning to look less stellar as we get a couple years out.

I felt the same way, but you're right. Maybe we just lucked out in the '10 and '11 drafts. It will be so depressing if we have to look back on the amazing careers of players like Atkins, Dunlap, Leon, Nelson, Whit, Green, Dalton, Gio, etc, and know that even an amazing core like that was unable to win even one playoff game. It's sad for them and the fans deserve better as well.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 03:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I felt the same way, but you're right. Maybe we just lucked out in the '10 and '11 drafts. It will be so depressing if we have to look back on the amazing careers of players like Atkins, Dunlap, Leon, Nelson, Whit, Green, Dalton, Gio, etc, and know that even an amazing core like that was unable to win even one playoff game. It's sad for them and the fans deserve better as well.

I just saw your list and thought "how long do we have those guys for".  Obviously Leon and Nelson are gone.  This is the last year of Whit's contract, and he is getting up there in age (based on the early play of Fisher and Ogbuehi I think they have to offer him at least another one year deal).  Now for the worrisome part...

Geno, Dunlap, and Dalton are all free agents in 2019.  Unless we think there is going to be a miraculous comeback resulting in a Super Bowl this year, that means two more years and they all are gone or need new deals.  Burfict has next year left on his deal.  That is four of your top five players are free agents in either 2018 or 2019.
Reply/Quote
In no particular order - depending on their quality as players:

1. DE
  2. S - if we have a high enough pick for Peppers or Adams.
  3. C/G -
  4. LB who can cover and tackle.   Vigil can cover,  but I think he's a poor tackler.  Dansby appears to be going around the bend.
  5. RB - I'd like to see them try Burkhead in a sustained way to see what he's got.  But I don't think Hill has the vision
  6. RT - one with some power and smarts.  We need to be able to run.
Reply/Quote
- MLB
- veteran OL, RT or C or both if not drafted
- a leader on defense
- OC unless this offense makes major strides
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 09:30 PM)Millhouse Wrote: - MLB
- veteran OL, RT or C or both if not drafted
- a leader on defense
- OC unless this offense makes major strides

We have a leader on D.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 10:55 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I could have sworn I read somewhere that they weren't happy with Billings before he got hurt.

Fix the offensive line first and get some fast LB's in the draft.

Believe they said Billings was being pushed around by second team players in practice before injury. Hopefully that changes. 

Agree that O-line needs the first help as well. Especially at the Center position. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
1. Athletic LB -- probably need 2 athletes at this position.  We don't need run stuffing in the box style LB we need real athletes who can play run and the pass.

2. LT and RT -- we missed on Jake Fisher and Ogbuehi.  We need to replace Andrew Whitowrth soon.  Maybe he still plays 2 more years? But we need immediate starter at RT and eventually one at LT maybe as soon as next year.

3. C- Russell Bodine is terrible and we have no capable backup.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 10:38 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Offensive Coordinator.
Offensive line coach.
Head coach.

On top of this i will go with Center, WR and an athletic LB..
Reply/Quote