Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Biggest Needs going into 2017.
(10-18-2016, 11:29 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think Billings could wind up being a starter next year. I don't see Dominated Pecko coming back next year

You see this from all the actual NFL plays he's made so far in his career????
Reply/Quote
I think the oline can be good, just isn't there yet, but coaching does need some change..
It feels like it's just a tad off, but finding the right combination of whatever it is seems to be missing and consistently missed by this staff.
I don't know that there needs to be a wholesale change with players, but coaching staff..time to move on.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Those saying coaching, couldn't agree more !

We need to bring in a new HC and let him hand pick entire staff. As we all know Mike Brown will never allow that to happen. In fact unless ML decides to quit he'll be here next season, even if we go 3 - 13 or whatever.

As far as players we can use help in a ton of places. Where we really at for OT ? Like OP says need a DE. CB ? WR ? TE, is Eifert going to actually play ?

#1 hands down though is new coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
I'm suprised more people don't see LB as one of our biggest needs. We literally have 1 good LB. Even if Vigil pans out it's still a huge need, imo.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 10:26 PM)impactplaya Wrote: just thinking out loud and it's not too late to begin pondering the 3 immediate needs
going into 2017 no matter who the head coach may be

1. OLB
I had high hopes for Karlos Dansby. I knew his best days were gone. but I thought he had enough
left to be a factor. I was wrong
this team needs a Olb that can hang with the elite TES and pass catching RBS and that can get to the qb

2. WR. the Bengals have  physical tall WRs. check
they have a WR that can  take a 11 yd slant and turn it in a 65 yd TD. no.
theu  lack a burner that can get separation after the catch.
Alford didn't pan out but they didn't bother to find someone with that kind of speed
is there a Corey Coleman or Tavon Austin in the upcoming draft
Boyd is a nice possession WR but he doesn't make guys miss in the open field
LaFell is a rent a WR for one year .
A.J needs help across the field

3. RDE. this defense is on pace for 33 sacks in 2016. Michael Johnson for all his size and strength
it doesn't translate getting the QB down .Clarke is a situational DE at best
Hunt flashes and that's that.

RDE, I agree with completely.  There is no push from the QBs blindside at all.  

WR, I disagree completely.  What good would another WR do that we sit on the bench?  The formations the Bengals continue to run often have two or three receivers in the pattern.  And they STILL can't get a yard in the running game.  Adapt and stop using stupid-ass slide blocking schemes.  Nope.  Just keep doing what isn't working and hope something changes.  

OLB, I agree is a need, but not top 3.  It would go RDE, OG, and C.  Given the age of a couple of the OTs on this team, I would add that before OLB as well. 
Reply/Quote
WR is not a priority

improving line play and having a dominant LB who can cover TEs and blitz are my priorities.

DBs and WRs are only as good as the line play.

Of course, I think bringing in a coach like Cowher or a Zimmer with the freedom to change his staff is the highest priority.
Reply/Quote
Looking back at everyone's proposed needs, it is frustrating to think that the Bengals had both Villenueva and Terrelle Pryor in camp and decided they were not worthy of signing. What a difference those two could have made, and, for peanuts.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 11:29 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think Billings could wind up being a starter next year. I don't see Dominated Pecko coming back next year

A man his size is going to take a lot of time to recover from a serious knee injury.  I think the Billings we see next year is a shell of what he's capable of a-la Geno Atkins 2014 post-surgery.
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately, the biggest need may be OT. With Whit getting up there and the two high draft picks looking really disappointing, I don't think they can afford to pass up a good OT if they're available. They need to get back to their old philosophy of getting big fat hogs as opposed to guys that look like basketball players.
Reply/Quote
1. Offense

2. Defense

3. Special Teams
Reply/Quote
1. Offensive line.
2. Offensive line.
3. Defensive backs.
Reply/Quote
Personally, I think we're good at WR. It's not dissimilar to the situation we had at CB recently. A few good players and some good potential behind them. The potential doesn't play much because we've got good on the field.

Our WRs aren't our offensive woes. Look at Dalton's numbers. He's playing like a top 5 QB this year (third in total yardage, fifth in YPA). But we're bottom eight in passing scoring because... I honestly have no idea why. I think it's a mix of playcalling and our ineffectiveness on the ground, but that's just guessing.
Reply/Quote
I could have sworn I read somewhere that they weren't happy with Billings before he got hurt.

Fix the offensive line first and get some fast LB's in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 08:46 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I'm suprised more people don't see LB as one of our biggest needs. We literally have 1 good LB. Even if Vigil pans out it's still a huge need, imo.

I'm hoping our 3 starters next year are already on the team. Burfict, Vrey , and Vigil. I still have a glimmer of hope that Dawson can figure it out. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 12:37 AM)Gohards Wrote: Theres this guy name Hue that we lost, has drastically effected us.

Also - going 12-4 does not win the chip. You have to win playoff games to "win a chip". So, in other words, we are not winning a chip with Marvin Lewis.
I will give you that Hue is a good coordinator but in 2014 the offense and similar problems and that was without Eifert and Marvin Jones.  In 2013 we had a top offense with Eifert and Jones and hue wasn't a coordinator. 
As for your statement on Marvin not being able to win in the playoffs I think you're wrong on it but that's just not an argument I am going to win .
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 10:35 AM)Benton Wrote: Personally, I think we're good at WR. It's not dissimilar to the situation we had at CB recently. A few good players and some good potential behind them. The potential doesn't play much because we've got good on the field.

Our WRs aren't our offensive woes. Look at Dalton's numbers. He's playing like a top 5 QB this year (third in total yardage, fifth in YPA). But we're bottom eight in passing scoring because... I honestly have no idea why. I think it's a mix of playcalling and our ineffectiveness on the ground, but that's just guessing.

I agree, I don't see receiver as a big need.  After that and quarterback though, this could be a long list.  Offensive line, defensive line, linebacker, possibly cornerback, maybe running back.  Remember when each year the talk was how we had no obvious holes to fill?  Those days may be gone.
Reply/Quote
1. 11 dominant starters on each side of the ball because the coaches suck.
2. An indoor practice facility
3. Mike Brown to retire and turn the team over 100% to Katie.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 11:19 PM)Gohards Wrote: Gohards

What happend to Michael Johnson? Didnt he have 10+ sacks one year? We cant give up on him if so. He just needs to be coaches up a little.

Michael Johnson was a lot like Robert Geathers. One flukey season and a career of mediocre. Like me and Zerker used to say, MJ collected most of those 11.5 sacks against backup tackles. Plus he turns 30 in February. I'd say most of the core is close to or past the end of their primes. 

Re-boot 3.0 might be coming soon.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
O-Line.

More D.

Weapons for Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 10:38 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Offensive Coordinator.
Offensive line coach.
Head coach.

What I was thinking when I read the title.

Reply/Quote