Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 weeks to Trade Deadline
Will the Bengals do anything? AJ wants out and Ross has been benched, those are the obvious guys that don't fit anymore but I don't think anyone would trade for them with their cost (AJ) and their lack of consistency (Ross). So would could/should the Bengals trade? Here's the list of players I think it makes sense to trade:

1. Lawson (sell high, we aren't getting a great pass rush anyway and we aren't going to make the playoffs, trade him for Oline help and a future pick to a team on the cusp of being a contender)
2. Jackson III (hasn't been completely consistent but assuming Trae Waynes is back in full force next year we could trade him for some Oline help this year)
3. Erickson (he's no really involved in the pass game and pretty much just fair catches every punt, he's a consistent guy you can count on to do his task either teams may need this, maybe trade for a backup Oline guy that has potential growth or a late pick)
4. Gio (he's not being used) he still can play but RB's are easy to come by and Traveyon is younger and waiting in the wings. Maybe trade him while we still can to someone that will use him as a pass catching 3rd down RB the way the Bengals should be using him.
5. Ross/AJ but I don't think anyone will take them on, especially AJ with his cost/injury history. Maybe Ross for like a 5th Rd someone might take a chance?

Just took a shot at this stuff and I'm not usually very good at predicting trades in the NFL, others with more insight feel free to critique or make your own suggestions of what we should do.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
I seriously doubt they are going to make a trade this season. Maybe Dunlap but it would have to be a great deal. I just don't see it happening infact I don't see it happening that much around the NFL
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
To me I really only see a few guys that we would be willing to move, that don't fit into next year's plans (in order):

1) Erickson- I could see someone like NE offering a 6/7 for him as he's cheap and would fill some kind of slot role for Belichek.

2) Ross- maybe the Raiders or Eagles offer up a 7th rd for the guy, but I see us taking some salary costs.

3) Shawn Williams- again maybe a 6/7 for someone with secondary injuries, we will be drafting his replacement anyway.

-Dunlap, AJ are just too expensive to move. I think we end up cutting Dunlap next year.

-I would be thrilled to move any of the above for 6/7 rd picks, it allows us to backfill the roster in the draft, or maybe move up into the 4/5 rounds.
Reply/Quote
Who in the hell is trading for Alex Erickson?

Man, JN never disappoints with some of it's trade talk.

It wasn't that long ago I was trying to explain to people that Dre Kirkpatrick and Cordy Glenn had no trade value. One guy valued both at at least a 3rd. I got a lot of "You mean to tell me another team is going to give something for a starting..."

And John Ross? Guy isn't even good enough to dress for a lower tier team, that is devoid of a deep threat, even though that's the only thing he can do. You really think some team wants to give up something for that guy, and take on the rest of a 5+ mll salary?
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 06:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: And John Ross?  Guy isn't even good enough to dress for a lower tier team, that is devoid of a deep threat, even though that's the only thing he can do.  You really think some team wants to give up something for that guy, and take on the rest of a 5+ mll salary?

Didn't MB say it isn't his job to make other teams better?  Getting another team to give up a pick for John Ross is the opposite of making them better, so he might actually try to get it done.  Or he will doze off in his recliner while watching Green Acres reruns while Pumpkin and Mr. Pumpkin go skiing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 06:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Didn't MB say it isn't his job to make other teams better?  Getting another team to give up a pick for John Ross is the opposite of making them better, so he might actually try to get it done.  Or he will doze off in his recliner while watching Green Acres reruns while Pumpkin and Mr. Pumpkin go skiing.

He goes with Gun Smoke from time to time.
Reply/Quote
If they can, which I doubt it. Get whatever they can for Geno, Carols, or AJ. Or Ross for that matter.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 06:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It wasn't that long ago I was trying to explain to people that Dre Kirkpatrick and Cordy Glenn had no trade value.  One guy valued both at at least a 3rd.  I got a lot of "You mean to tell me another team is going to give something for a starting..."

Dre is starting for the Cardinals.

They got him for peanuts in free agency because of his injury but now he is starting for them.

But at his age with his recent injury history we could not have traded him.  No team would have taken that contract.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 07:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dre is starting for the Cardinals.

They got him for peanuts in free agency because of his injury but now he is starting for them.

But at his age with his recent injury history we could not have traded him.  No team would have taken that contract.

And doing worse than horribly.

PFF (admittedly not gospel) has him graded at 38.2 and says he's allowed catches on 17 of the 23 targets (73.9%) in his coverage.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Wait, so we're supposed trade Lawson not only for a quality starting Oline player but also a draft pick? Or are you saying we trade Lawson and a pick for a quality Olineman?

Also, why would a team in playoff contention trade away a starting Olineman?
Reply/Quote
Partial list of players in a contract year:

Shawn Williams
A.J. Green
John Ross
William Jackson
Carl Lawson
Kevin Huber
Alex Erickson
Mackensie Alexander

If you wanted any of these players you would just wait until the end of the year and offer them more money than other teams will. Which is what you'd have to do anyways if you traded for them.

Oh and as for not using Gio, he's one the good blockers we have. That is why he is in on 3rd downs.

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 08:13 PM)TheFan Wrote: Wait, so we're supposed trade Lawson not only for a quality starting Oline player but also a draft pick? Or are you saying we trade Lawson and a pick for a quality Olineman?

Also, why would a team in playoff contention trade away a starting Olineman?

That's the question I keep asking.  Who has a quality lineman that they don't need and are willing to part with?  Answer, no one...
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 06:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Who in the hell is trading for Alex Erickson?

Man, JN never disappoints with some of it's trade talk.  

It wasn't that long ago I was trying to explain to people that Dre Kirkpatrick and Cordy Glenn had no trade value.  One guy valued both at at least a 3rd.  I got a lot of "You mean to tell me another team is going to give something for a starting..."

And John Ross?  Guy isn't even good enough to dress for a lower tier team, that is devoid of a deep threat, even though that's the only thing he can do.  You really think some team wants to give up something for that guy, and take on the rest of a 5+ mll salary?
I gotta agree here... No one is giving a bucket full of shit for either Erickson or Ross.. 
Reply/Quote
It might as well be tomorrow because we will have the same number of trades between now and then.
Reply/Quote
Would be nice if the team stopped keeping one foot in the past while trying to build for the future. Time to move on from the Big 3 left from the last era: Green, Atkins and Dunlap
Reply/Quote
I'd fully expect it to be like last year. Someone will call and inquire about a player. Duke will throw out a high pick as the required compensation. The other GM will say, "Okay, good to know," and nothing will happen.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Anyone who isn't in the plans for next season should be moved, even if we have to eat some of the money. That means decisions need to be made now on Green, Atkins, Dunlap, Ross, S. Williams, Price, Bernard, Erickson etc. I appreciate that's only going to bring in day 3 or even conditional picks but that's better than letting them go for free (remember if we spend in free agency we won't be getting compensatory picks for our free agents anyway) or just cutting them.
Reply/Quote
Gruden raised eyebrows with many moves he made with the raiders, but to his credit, the man had a plan. So far season 3 he has a winning team. Has Zac raised any eyebrows at all?
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately we need D linemen so I guess none of them are getting traded. Can't think of anyone else that anyone would want that we don't need for the future. Maybe Gio. I don't know.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
The NFL trade deadline usually doesn't involve the Bengals, so no deals will be made.
Reply/Quote