Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(11-11-2018, 07:59 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Coming in today we have played 5 top 10 offenses and 4 out of 5 top 5 offenses. So yeah it's a misnomer that they will not improve.

Would they still be those ranks if they didn't play the Bengals? Wouldn't the 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th ranked offenses stomp on this D enough to push them into the Top 10?

For instance, New Orleans was a Top 10 offense, but after dropping 509 yards on the Bengals, they are likely going to be a Top 5.

They have faced good offenses, sure, but this defense also makes good offenses look great.

No matter how you cut it, the Saints averaged 34.9 points per game. 51 is way more than that.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 08:11 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Through 9 games the Bengals have the 2nd worst defense in - NFL history.
Coming into todays game we was giving up 450 yards a game the Saints hold the record giving up 470 a game...I think we can beat that if we try hard enough. 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 06:47 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Yeah, that's my point too. What does Geno have to say about this. I mean if you're good at your job, your opinion weighs more than others (like Dre's), he must have some advice or thoughts on the piss poor performance.

I miss Adam Jones.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I never liked the hire to begin with.

Quote:This feels weak and lazy. Kinda like the Zampese hire. They were passive, wanted Guenther back, then hired the first guy they interviewed? I mean, Austin can't be the greatest candidate out there, right? Why not interview someone else?

People are trying to spin things as so different, but it sure looks pretty status quo to me.

Quote:I'm willing to give any new guy a chance, but I've played the "lets force ourselves to get excited about an unexciting player/coach" game before, and I'm just done with it. Unless the player/coach has a good resume, I'm not going to force myself to come up with reasons to get excited about it. Austin's resume is mediocre at best. Hopefully Lazor does a better job filling out his offensive staff - particularly our next o-line coach....seeing how that coach could be around for the next quarter-century.

Neither did Wyche and a few others:

Quote:Dude's squad made our 32nd ranked offense look like world beaters. Forgive me for being less than ecstatic......

Guess we're stuck with the guy until Marv inevitably uses him as a fall guy. We hired a DC whose ranking had fallen every year he's been coaching, and lo and behold - his ranking is falling to the bottom. Worst defense in NFL history. Amazing.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 08:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Would they still be those ranks if they didn't play the Bengals? Wouldn't the 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th ranked offenses stomp on this D enough to push them into the Top 10?

For instance, New Orleans was a Top 10 offense, but after dropping 509 yards on the Bengals, they are likely going to be a Top 5.

They have faced good offenses, sure, but this defense also makes good offenses look great.

No matter how you cut it, the Saints averaged 34.9 points per game. 51 is way more than that.

Drew Brees has had 3 other games with completing over 80% of passes, Pittsburgh put 50 up on Carolina, Tampa had over 500 yards today, and Kansas City is on record shattering pace. They have played great offenses not just good ones. 
Also they have played them with major players down Vigil, Vontaz, Dennard,and Lawson. Three of those guys should be back soon.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 09:10 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Drew Brees has had 3 other games with completing over 80% of passes, Pittsburgh put 50 up on Carolina, Tampa had over 500 yards today, and Kansas City is on record shattering pace. They have played great offenses not just good ones. 
Also they have played them with major players down Vigil, Vontaz, Dennard,and Lawson. Three of those guys should be back soon.

You’re just completely delusional. I wish I had that quality, for reals
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 09:12 PM)N_B Wrote: You’re just completely delusional.  I wish I had that quality, for reals

How by mentioning facts?
J24

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 08:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I miss Adam Jones.
I agree. Not only because he tells you how it is but because he is better then most of our CB.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 06:41 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati defense now allows an average of 32.00 points per game after coughing up 51 points to the Saints.  This number isn’t going to decrease as the season progresses, either, and without a defensive coordinator change the Bengals will continue to lose.  I had great expectations of Teryl Austin as the season began but he’s the worst defensive coordinator I’ve ever seen in Cincinnati; worse, even, than Leslie Frazier and Chuck Bresnahan.  That’s not just bad.  It’s historically bad.

Even in the pass- and points-happy NFL, defense still wins championships.

Somebody in the locker room yelled, "Hey guys, we're making history!"
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 09:14 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: How by mentioning facts?

Here’s one. We are on pace to give up the most yardage by a defense EVER
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 08:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Would they still be those ranks if they didn't play the Bengals? Wouldn't the 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th ranked offenses stomp on this D enough to push them into the Top 10?

This same NO offense just made the Rams defense look humble last week.  Face it, New Orleans has a strong offense.

This isn't to excuse the lack of defense on the part of the Bengals, they're at the point where when something goes wrong, everything comes unraveled..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 09:22 PM)McC Wrote: Somebody in the locker room yelled, "Hey guys, we're making history!"

Funny — and possibly true!

Marvin Lewis was hired as Cincinnati’s head coach largely on his prowess as the defensive coordinator for the Ravens. In 2000 the Ravens set a scoring defense record which in my opinion will never be broken. In that year the Baltimore defense allowed an average of 9.4 points per game.

That’s sick.

The 2018 Bengals give up almost that many points — 8 — per quarter. Wrap your heads around this.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 09:51 PM)N_B Wrote: Here’s one.  We are on pace to give up the most yardage by a defense EVER

So we played 4 out of the 5 top offenses in the NFL in perhaps the most of offensive season in NFL history. Pitt and Chargers are the only 2 legit offenses we play the rest of the year and we're getting multiple starters back. The numbers will probably go down.
J24

Reply/Quote
Does this defense have any pride at all ?
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 08:03 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: And this after a bye and a nice week of rest.  Imagine if this game had been on a normal week, and/or flexed to 8:30.  Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, it would been a damn pinball machine out there.

Rumor has it that they will flex the game against the Ravens next Sunday so the nation can see how horrifically bad this defense is. 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 10:00 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: So we played 4 out of the 5 top offenses in the NFL in perhaps the most of offensive season in NFL history. Pitt and Chargers are the only 2 legit offenses we play the rest of the year and we're getting multiple starters back. The numbers will probably go down.

Dude, what type of offenses do you think we would play in the playoffs? We are getting run off the field by average to elite offenses. And if we aren’t gunning for championships, then what’s the point?
Reply/Quote
Austin is getting fired. It will be announced tomorrow. Not that it really matters
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 10:38 PM)UDBengalsFan Wrote: Austin is getting fired. It will be announced tomorrow. Not that it really matters

It matters because defense still wins championships.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 10:36 PM)N_B Wrote: Dude, what type of offenses do you think we would play in the playoffs?  We are getting run off the field by average to elite offenses.  And if we aren’t gunning for championships, then what’s the point?

Exactly

We've been the worst team in the league near 60% giving up 3rd downs from week 1. And it's been the same every game, good offense, bad offense, great offense, doesn't matter.

There's no tap dancing around that
Reply/Quote
To make matters worse, this offense isn't scoring 32+ points a game to offset the defense.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote