Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(11-11-2018, 10:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It matters because defense still wins championships.

Our defense is trying to earn a spot in the Guinness book of world records. (Bad)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 09:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This same NO offense just made the Rams defense look humble last week.  Face it, New Orleans has a strong offense.

This isn't to excuse the lack of defense on the part of the Bengals, they're at the point where when something goes wrong, everything comes unraveled..

Oh, I never claimed the Saints weren't good on offense.

My problem was more with the Top-5 and Top-10 threshholds. A 5th ranked offense that has played the Bengals D might not be as good of and offense as a 6th ranked offense who hasn't played the Bengals. The same with 9th-10th versus 11th-12th. The offenses the Bengals went against would still be good, but they would likely drop a rank/a couple ranks if they didn't play the Bengals.

The Saints were a good offense. They were averaging 402 yards and 34.9 points per game. They put up 509 and 51 against the Bengals. Playing against the Bengals D makes them look even better than their already good level.

This guy was trying to make it sound like if it weren't for playing these unstoppable offenses, and if Dennard and Vigil were back, they wouldn't be terrible. It is hard to properly convey how historically bad this defense has been.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 06:41 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati defense now allows an average of 32.00 points per game after coughing up 51 points to the Saints.  This number isn’t going to decrease as the season progresses, either, and without a defensive coordinator change the Bengals will continue to lose.  I had great expectations of Teryl Austin as the season began but he’s the worst defensive coordinator I’ve ever seen in Cincinnati; worse, even, than Leslie Frazier and Chuck Bresnahan.  That’s not just bad.  It’s historically bad.

Even in the pass- and points-happy NFL, defense still wins championships.

Why did you have great expectations for Austin? His defenses got worse every year he was with the Lions.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 11:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why did you have great expectations for Austin? His defenses got worse every year he was with the Lions.

That’s a good point. Maybe he misled me in his initial press conference. Teryl Austin stressed fundamentals, generating turnovers, and pressure. That sounded good to me.

Unfortunately what we got was poor tackling, a choice between apple and cherry turnovers in the team cafeteria, and the only pressure is the pressure to find another defensive coordinator.
Reply/Quote
The players are not well coached either...out of position a lot.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 11:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Oh, I never claimed the Saints weren't good on offense.

My problem was more with the Top-5 and Top-10 threshholds. A 5th ranked offense that has played the Bengals D might not be as good of and offense as a 6th ranked offense who hasn't played the Bengals. The same with 9th-10th versus 11th-12th. The offenses the Bengals went against would still be good, but they would likely drop a rank/a couple ranks if they didn't play the Bengals.

The Saints were a good offense. They were averaging 402 yards and 34.9 points per game. They put up 509 and 51 against the Bengals. Playing against the Bengals D makes them look even better than their already good level.

This guy was trying to make it sound like if it weren't for playing these unstoppable offenses, and if Dennard and Vigil were back, they wouldn't be terrible. It is hard to properly convey how historically bad this defense has been.

I get what you're saying, but one game out of 9 or 10 isn't going to skew the averages enough to give a false ranking.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 11:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Oh, I never claimed the Saints weren't good on offense.

Agreed. The defense wasn't performing much better if any when Vigil, Lawson, Dennard, and Burfict were on the field. Even with all 4 of them today, I doubt that would've stopped the Saints from completely dominating the Bengals. The argument seems to be that Andy Dalton is a big reason for how historically bad this defense is performing.
Reply/Quote

1.) The Bengals have played 4 top 5 offenses in the last 4 weeks. Tampa had 500 yards offense today, Brees hasn't been sacked in three weeks, has had 3 other games this season with over 80% completion rate, has won 8 straight games, and has perhaps the top offensive line in the NFL with Two elite RBs, The Steelers just put up over 50 points against the panthers, and the Chiefs have a QB who is having a season that is comparable to only Tom Brady's 2007 season and Peyton Manning 2013 season.  It's not like these teams are not just playing well against us there doing it against the whole NFL.

2.) Really three starters wouldn't make a difference to a team. Especially considering that 2 of those guys have been absent for the last 4 games and another was just comming off a suspension. 
The first 5 games of the year the Bengals averaged 7 YPPA ; while during the last 4 the Bengals have given up 9.4 YPPA. You're telling me that those guys don't make a difference especially  Dennard and Vigil who played a ton in those games. 

I am not going to dispute that our defense has been bad this season or that it is on a record pace. however what I will acknowledge that know else will is that having major injuries and playing Elite offenses at the same time have been attributing factors to the lack of success.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:26 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: 1.) The Bengals have played 4 top 5 offenses in the last 4 weeks. Tampa had 500 yards offense today, Brees hasn't been sacked in three weeks, has had 3 other games this season with over 80% completion rate, has won 8 straight games, and has perhaps the top offensive line in the NFL with Two elite RBs, The Steelers just put up over 50 points against the panthers, and the Chiefs have a QB who is having a season that is comparable to only Tom Brady's 2007 season and Peyton Manning 2013 season.  It's not like these teams are not just playing well against us there doing it against the whole NFL.

2.) Really three starters wouldn't make a difference to a team. Especially considering that 2 of those guys have been absent for the last 4 games and another was just comming off a suspension. 
The first 5 games of the year the Bengals averaged 7 YPPA ; while during the last 4 the Bengals have given up 9.4 YPPA. You're telling me that those guys don't make a difference especially  Dennard and Vigil who played a ton in those games. 

I am not going to dispute that our defense has been bad this season or that it is on a record pace. however what I will acknowledge that know else will is that having major injuries and playing Elite offenses at the same time have been attributing factors to the lack of success.

Again, it. Doesn’t. Matter.

Are you happy just being mediocre? These are the same teams we’d be playing for championships....are you fine getting a 6 seed and then getting punked in the playoffs again?
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:26 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: 1.) The Bengals have played 4 top 5 offenses in the last 4 weeks. Tampa had 500 yards offense today, Brees hasn't been sacked in three weeks, has had 3 other games this season with over 80% completion rate, has won 8 straight games, and has perhaps the top offensive line in the NFL with Two elite RBs, The Steelers just put up over 50 points against the panthers, and the Chiefs have a QB who is having a season that is comparable to only Tom Brady's 2007 season and Peyton Manning 2013 season.  It's not like these teams are not just playing well against us there doing it against the whole NFL.

I'm not saying having those players healthy wouldn't help at all, but there is an obvious scheme issue. This goes far beyond playing top offenses. This boils down to coaching and schemes. The Saints didn't have to punt today. Even when we knew they were just going to run they were able to rip off chunks of yards. Teryl Austin may very well be our own worst enemy. It hasn't mattered what the personnel has been this season, the defense has played poorly. Much, much worse than they did just a season ago.

There is a huge problem here and it's not just the schedule.
Reply/Quote
Big Payday Geno has 0 sacks in the last 4 games. 1 QB Hit.

That is awful.
Reply/Quote
Technically they are giving up 30.4sh a game, if you take out the punt return for a TD and that one pick 6.

For some reason most of the sites won't separate points scored. Its the same for offensive points, as they will add special teams and defensive scores into that the overall offensive scoring number. Like this year the Bengals defense scored 4 tds, but those are included in offensive points, which skews it a tad bit.

I know it's nitpicking, but my inner statistician gets annoyed by that.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I get what you're saying, but one game out of 9 or 10 isn't going to skew the averages enough to give a false ranking.

New Orleans is actually going to move from 7th total offense to at least 5th just from this week.

That said, 107 yards and 16 points more than you average is a large amount. If they were 107 yards and 16 points BELOW what they averaged, they would have put up 295 yards and 19 points, which would put them at 29th and 26th compared to the other teams averages.

If the Bengals put up 107 yards and 16 points more than their years average every week, it would be enough to make them the 1st ranked offense in both yards and points.

The Saints offense is really good, but it's not THAT good. Heck, no offense is that good without facing a turrible defense.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2018, 09:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I never liked the hire to begin with.

Neither did Wyche and a few others:

Guess we're stuck with the guy until Marv inevitably uses him as a fall guy. We hired a DC whose ranking had fallen every year he's been coaching, and lo and behold - his ranking is falling to the bottom. Worst defense in NFL history. Amazing.

Yeah....I was skeptical, but thought with the talent on the defense, they'd be AT LEAST mediocre. They're not even close to that. Time to flush this turd.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I get what you're saying, but one game out of 9 or 10 isn't going to skew the averages enough to give a false ranking.

I dunno.....when you give up over 100 more YPG, and 20 more PPG than a team averages, it's gonna help that team's numbers...lol.

Reply/Quote
Before the Saints essentially quit trying to score, we could not stop the Saints on 3rd down.

Austin has to be a terrible teacher of fundamentals. The guys are totally out of lanes on runs.

How a team with a HOF DT and a really good DE and 3 1st Round CB's could be this bad...
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:08 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Agreed. The defense wasn't performing much better if any when Vigil, Lawson, Dennard, and Burfict were on the field. Even with all 4 of them today, I doubt that would've stopped the Saints from completely dominating the Bengals. The argument seems to be that Andy Dalton is a big reason for how historically bad this defense is performing.

Hell, you know it's always Andy's fault....

I used to say the same thing when Palmer had a bad game and the defense shit the bed.  The question fans need to ask around here is...."why does our QB ALWAYS have to have a great game to win?". It happens occasionally, but it seems if our QB has a bad game, other phases can't pick up the slack.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 01:18 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Before the Saints essentially quit trying to score, we could not stop the Saints on 3rd down.

Austin has to be a terrible teacher of fundamentals. The guys are totally out of lanes on runs.

How a team with a HOF DT and a really good DE and 3 1st Round CB's could be this bad...

The Scary thing is, the Saints only have 1 good WR on the roster. 

Even with Green Out, we had a top 10 pick, and a second rounder on our team.
Reply/Quote

When you lose 51-14...it's past the time to make excuses.

The bottom line is that if it wasn't for opportunistic turnovers that led to scores...we'd like be 3-6 or 2-7 right now.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 01:15 AM)Wyche Wrote: I dunno.....when you give up over 100 more YPG, and 20 more PPG than a team averages, it's gonna help that team's numbers...lol.

IF a team has played 10 games, and they gain 100 yards over their average in one game, then their per game average has improved by 10 yards/game.

Not quite a HUGE jump in average.  I'm not making excuses for the Bengals performance, because there is no excuse for these sort of performances.  I'm just stating that the Saints have been putting up numbers  on most teams they play, and that their offensive ranking is earnest, rather than an anomaly from playing the Bengals. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote