Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd QB in NFL History
Joe became the third QB drafted first overall to win his first two playoff games.

The other two both have Super Bowl victories, Jim Plunkett and Troy Aikman.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
First QB drafted first overall to win Divisional playoff game in his first two years!
Reply/Quote
Excellent company for Joe.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:27 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Excellent company for Joe.

Well... not really lol.

Aikman was surrounded by one of the greatest offenses at each level, in NFL history. I mean, he made the PB throwing 12 TDs to 13 INTs and his career rating is 81.6

And Plunkett is on Stabler/Namath levels of bad. Of his 14 seasons in the NFL, only 5 did he have more TDs than INTs.

Their TEAMS were stud teams, which speaks even more to how good Joe is, as he carries the team, not the team carrying him.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Over/under super bowl for Burrow’s career has to be 1.5
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:46 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Well... not really lol.

Aikman was surrounded by one of the greatest offenses at each level, in NFL history. I mean, he made the PB throwing 12 TDs to 13 INTs and his career rating is 81.6

And Plunkett is on Stabler/Namath levels of bad. Of his 14 seasons in the NFL, only 5 did he have more TDs than INTs.

Their TEAMS were stud teams, which speaks even more to how good Joe is, as he carries the team, not the team carrying him.

We won't agree here, Truck. When you watched Troy, you saw a great QB. The offense was so centered around Emmitt that it hurt Troy's numbers. Most of the TDs went to Emmitt, but Troy was more than capable.

They didn't win those chips without Troy.

Plunkett not so much, but he had his moments late in his career. Both SB winners.

Also, Joe is great, but he doesn't "carry" us. That is an insult to all the great talent we have on this team.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:50 AM)PlayadLc Wrote: Over/under super bowl for Burrow’s career has to be 1.5

It's weird, rodgers only has 1, but I think burrow has something rodgers doesn't, the ability to coagulate. Brady's got it. The best arm doesn't win. Name one person who hates joe burrow (and not out of spite because he's eating everyone alive like a bengal tiger would). I can name a ton who don't like aaron lol. Everything has to go a team's way to win the superbowl it makes no sense that brady has 7.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 02:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We won't agree here, Truck. When you watched Troy, you saw a great QB. The offense was so centered around Emmitt that it hurt Troy's numbers. Most of the TDs went to Emmitt, but Troy was more than capable.

They didn't win those chips without Troy.

Plunkett not so much, but he had his moments late in his career. Both SB winners.

Also, Joe is great, but he doesn't "carry" us. That is an insult to all the great talent we have on this team.

That's fine.

I've never disparaged Aikman, but I've always thought he was overrated and a product of the team around him, as opposed to him carrying the team.

Burrow definitely carries the offense though; without him, Chase and Higgins don't have the years they do and we don't win as many games for sure.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 12:42 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That's fine.

I've never disparaged Aikman, but I've always thought he was overrated and a product of the team around him, as opposed to him carrying the team.

Burrow definitely carries the offense though; without him, Chase and Higgins don't have the years they do and we don't win as many games for sure.

He had a great team around him, no doubt about that...but most SB winners do. If anything, I think Troy gets underrated because the Cowboys were so centered around Emmitt.

Troy's prime ran from 1991 to 1996.

During that time frame, here's his rankings in comp % and passer rating:

1991: 2nd in % - 6th in rating
1992: 5th in % - 3rd in rating
1993: 1st in % - 2nd in rating
1994: 2nd in % - 6th in rating
1995: 2nd in % - 3rd in rating
1996: 2nd in % - 12th in rating

Now consider that he was elite in passer rating while Emmitt was vulturing most of the TDs. Then you start to understand how impressive Troy was.

I look at him as an elite QB who was used like a game manager. Thanks to the greatness of Emmitt (and the defense), this led to a dynasty. That said, it also hurt Troy's legacy.

People view him as a game manager. Question his HOF legitimacy. He sacrificed his numbers for the good of the team.

On Burrow, now I agree with ya. I just don't like that "carry" word. LOL

Burrow is why we are where we are, but no QB gets this far without a great cast.
Reply/Quote
1st QB in NFL history to be taken 1st overall and make the conference championship game in his first two years.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 03:57 PM)Big Boss Wrote: 1st QB in NFL history to be taken 1st overall and make the conference championship game in his first two years.

I decided to dig in to this. Only 26 QBs have been taken 1st overall.

I didn't dig through all 26, but picked out 11 that probably had the most success in their careers.

Terry Bradshaw
John Elway
Troy Aikman
Drew Bledsoe
Peyton Manning
Mike Vick
Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Jared Goff

8 of those QBs made a Super Bowl, and all won playoff games.

In their first 2 years, these guys had a 2-9 playoff record, with only Vick and Luck winning a playoff game. 4 of them didn't even make the playoffs (Bradshaw, Aikman, Palmer, Newton).

Part of this credit goes to Burrow, but part of it should go to how quickly the FO rebuilt this team, spending plenty in FA and hitting on so many picks.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 06:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I decided to dig in to this. Only 26 QBs have been taken 1st overall.

I didn't dig through all 26, but picked out 11 that probably had the most success in their careers.

Terry Bradshaw
John Elway
Troy Aikman
Drew Bledsoe
Peyton Manning
Mike Vick
Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Jared Goff

8 of those QBs made a Super Bowl, and all won playoff games.

In their first 2 years, these guys had a 2-9 playoff record, with only Vick and Luck winning a playoff game. 4 of them didn't even make the playoffs (Bradshaw, Aikman, Palmer, Newton).

Part of this credit goes to Burrow, but part of it should go to how quickly the FO rebuilt this team, spending plenty in FA and hitting on so many picks.

You nailed it Shake.

The FO built a team that could both reach and win in the post season.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 06:40 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: You nailed it Shake.

The FO built a team that could both reach and win in the post season.

Even weirder is prior to the Burrow pick absolutely nobody with a brain thought the FO even remotely capable. If you took a poll I bet 90% would have thought Burrow's career was over before it began.. How would you have liked to have made a few thousand bucks bet for Burrow and the FO?  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It’s a lot easier to sign good FA’s when you have a true franchise QB. Just sayin

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 06:49 PM)grampahol Wrote: Even weirder is prior to the Burrow pick absolutely nobody with a brain thought the FO even remotely capable. If you took a poll I bet 90% would have thought Burrow's career was over before it began.. How would you have liked to have made a few thousand bucks bet for Burrow and the FO?  

How quickly we forget there was discussion he might refuse to sign if we took him.
Reply/Quote
Pretty specific. I mean tell me someone is the first UDFA to win their first two playoff games and I’ll be impressed.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I don't think anyone had a clue just how tough and determined he was going to be.. I'm not sure even Joe knew it himself till this season after the knee injury.. It kind of worries me though.. I worry he might start taking a lot more unnecessary risks.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 06:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s a lot easier to sign good FA’s when you have a true franchise QB. Just sayin

Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Bates, Wilson, Hubbard, etc were drafted by the team.

Also, in the future I'll agree with ya, but I doubt a rookie QB or one with a 2-7-1 record was the #1 reason we were able to land Reader, Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, Hill, Hilton, Awuzie, Bell, etc.

We landed those guys because the FO opened the wallet, and they were also very smart as far as the type of guys they went after.

Joe deserves credit for a lot of things. A lot. But the front office also deserves credit.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 07:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Bates, Wilson, Hubbard, etc were drafted by the team.

Also, in the future I'll agree with ya, but I doubt a rookie QB or one with a 2-7-1 record was the #1 reason we were able to land Reader, Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, Hill, Hilton, Awuzie, Bell, etc.

We landed those guys because the FO opened the wallet, and they were also very smart as far as the type of guys they went after.

Joe deserves credit for a lot of things. A lot. But the front office also deserves credit.

I believe the bolded names each publicly stated they came here to play with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 07:24 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I believe the bolded names each publicly stated they came here to play with Burrow.

Of course they did. Were they supposed to say "It's all about the Benjamin's"?

We gave them VERY good contracts, and the FO sought out these players. Not Joe Burrow.

I'm all for giving credit where it's due, but sometimes it feels like people are bordering on worship of Joe.

It's not ALL him.
Reply/Quote