Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
3rd Round-Zachary Carter-DT-Florida
So Safety, Cornerback and now Defensive Tackle. They needed Defensive Tackle depth due to Ogunjobi.

First 3 Rounds look like a great Draft, especially considering picking 31 due to being AFC Champ Bengals in SUPER BOWL.

GO BENGALS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Prototypical Bengal interior Rusher; will play end on run downs and move inside in passing situations.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 12:28 AM)J24 Wrote: Prototypical Bengal interior Rusher; will play end on run downs and move inside in passing  situations.

Right, they have good run tackling Defensive Tackles up the gut that played great in Play-Offs to Super Bowl.  What they needed was a Pass Rushing Defensive Tackle added in.  Get that Pass Rush up the gut on 2nd or 3rd and long. 

Florida plays big time football.  Collinsworth would like it. Bengals added a Big Gator. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
PFF hates the pick. I'll trust the coaches with this one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 12:45 AM)jj22 Wrote: PFF hates the pick. I'll trust the coaches with this one.

Tell Tale Sign my friend.  Smirk

Wink

BTW Ochocincos still has his Mock going with these 3 picks. Never seen this before.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
Fits the mold of being a "relentless" type of guy.  Maybe he'll be the next Wallace Gilberry? His athletic profile is similar to Gerald McCoy and George Uko. Lou Anarumo gets to play mad scientist with all of these guys. Maybe we'll see more 3 man and 5 man rushes this season. 
Reply/Quote
I have never seen, nor heard of this guy? I'll just trust the coaches on this one.
Reply/Quote
Career depth guy
Reply/Quote
The Bengals identified their needs and filled them very well in these first three rounds. I think they got extreme value with Hill in the first (he was being talked about as a top 15 to 20 player routinely). I think they got good value with CTB in the 2nd (He was being talked about right around where we picked him) and I am curious to see how Zach Carter works out. He is the most controversial pick so far because there does not seem to be a consensus about him. Some publications had him as a 3rd to 4th rounder (https://www.nfl.com/prospects/zach-carter/32004341-5278-6801-508d-115b8e175a05 https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Zachary-Carter-DL-Florida https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/zachary-carter/wyjwkbS5zA)

Others, like Dane Brugler and PFF, had him as a 6th round prospect.

It is worth noting, however, that Dane Brugler had him rated strictly as an edge defender. He did not put him in the IDL category. He wrote:

Quote:Pros: Moldable frame with adequate length ...
accelerates quickly and gets into the chest of blockers ...
transfers the energy from his first two steps into contact and leverages his body to generate movement ...
hands are a blur ...
has an array of rush moves, including an efficient arm-over and swipe technique to slingshot past blockers ...
quick to fire through gaps and reset his vision to find the ball carrier ...
uses length to lock out, read, and contain the edge in the run game ...
wins with extra effort, and his motor stays cranked ...
versatile, with experience up and down the defensive line from the A-gap to outside the tackle.

Cons: Narrow rusher and doesn’t have the body flexibility to bend the edge ...
average explosion and inconsistent snap anticipation, a bad combo for a defensive lineman ...
doesn’t have natural pass rush instincts ...
flashes a variety of rush moves but struggles to efficiently patch them together ...
physical hands can knock him off his rush track ...
finds himself out-flanked in the run game ...
late to unwind from blocks and must improve his shed skills ...
lack of flexibility hurts his ability to break down in small spaces, leading to missed tackles ...
below-average production and averaged less than three tackles per game as a college starter.

Summary: A two-year starter at Florida, Carter was used up and down the defensive line in former defensive coordinator Todd Grantham’s scheme, spending most of his time as either a three-technique or five-technique. His pass rush efficiency and backfield production improved each season in Gainesville, with 20.5 tackles for loss over his final 24 games. Carter is at his best with a runway, where he can rush head-up with physical hands to generate power, extending into blockers and putting them on skates. He has quick read-and-react ability in the run game, but powerful blockers can out-leverage him, leaving him late to shed. Overall, Carter is
limited in the ways he wins as a pass rusher because of his stiffness and undeveloped counters, but he is a high-effort, quick-footed athlete who is well-versed with various defensive techniques. He projects as a rotational base end in the NFL.

The way he talks about him, I can see why he would rate him as a 6th round player at edge. But some of his weaknesses (lacking flexibility to bend around the edge, below average production [presumably for a DE, as his production is outstanding for a DT], underdeveloped counters) seem to be alleviated by moving him inside and some of his strengths (transfers energy with his first two steps, quickness to fire off the ball, excellent motor and effort) all seem ideal for an interior pass rusher.

It's worth noting many of his weaknesses were also listed for Perrion Winfrey (body stiffness, below average Change of direction, struggles to break down in small spaces, underdeveloped pass rush counters, lacking pass rush instincts, poor tackle production) and their strengths are similar as well (length, powerful fast hands, good pass rush moves), but Winfrey was graded as a DT, not an edge. And he happens to have Winfrey as a 2nd round player, something we already know the NFL disagrees with.

One thing Dane mentions several times with Winfrey is that he was not overly impressed with the tape of Winfrey during college ("A two-year starter at Oklahoma, Winfrey lined up at nose guard in former defensive coordinator Alex Grinch’s 3-3-5 base scheme. It was tough to get an accurate read on him in the Sooners’ slanting front, however, his skills were unleashed at the Senior Bowl and allowed him to show scouts his flashes of dominance."), but was blown away by his performance at the Senior Bowl. So, you know, that may be the dividing line here. Because if there's one thing we've learned over the years, it's that the Senior Bowl creates hype for players that the NFL doesn't really carry over (you saw it with the Senior Bowl's darling, Jermaine Johnson, falling from where media reporters thought he'd go [top 10] to right where he was predicted to go prior to the Senior Bowl [late first - early second]).
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 12:45 AM)jj22 Wrote: PFF hates the pick. I'll trust the coaches with this one.

Right.  Do we have a good Defensive Coordinator.  You bet we do.   ESPN had Carter rated good enough to go in round 3.   

It's simple. Ogungobi is gone and he was our DT Pass Rusher.  This Carter is a DT Pass Rusher.  It's that simple.  

jj22 nails it.  Trust our Super Bowl coaches and GM Tobin.  We have a great Defensive Coordinator, so trust this pick.

I bet if we would go on YouTube and watch Carter highlights at Florida, we would be happy about this SEC DT.    Trust our Super Bowl Defensive Coordinator, you better believe it. 

ADD ON : I just went on YouTube and saw his highlights. What's not to like about this dominate SEC Defensive Player. The Zach Attack looks great in his Florida Gator footage and Senor Bowl. He can line up at DE or DT. The Zach Attack is an SEC Monster. One look at the YouTube footage and you see why our great Defensive Coordinator would want him. That is what they call Zach Carter, " The Zach Attack ". Those who have no info on him need to throw away your draft cheat sheets and look at this monster SEC player on YouTube Highlights. These are not easy teams he is dominating, these are Alabama, LSU, Tennessee BIG MAN SEC Teams.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Well this pff guy was comparing him to Walker a few days ago.
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-florida-zachary-carter-midround-steal-2022-nfl-draft

"At the pro day, Carter ran the 20-yard shuttle in 4.3 seconds. That figure would’ve ranked fourth-best among edge rushers at the combine and best among defensive tackles. For comparison, Walker, a potential first overall pick, ran a 4.32."

I liked his highlights. And this hot take
https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/67747/zachary-carter

"When his motor is running, Carter looks like an unstoppable force"
Reply/Quote

pff what would they know
Reply/Quote

4 less reps on the bench than Ja’Marr?

Reply/Quote
I'm not against taking him here myself. He's basically a 4th rounder at this point of the draft. He'll be more of a situational pass rusher supplementing the starters his rookie year more or less from the 3t or how Lou sees fit.

One thing that is encouraginging with him I have read from different sources out there, is that he has a very high motor every play. That kind of intangible can't be measured, and hopefully will help him improve more quickly going into his second year.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
4 less reps on the bench than Ja’Marr?

Does he have long arms?  The longer the arm length the less reps.
Reply/Quote
How quickly we forget. Lou took guys like Larry Ogunjobi and BJ Hill that are 6'3'' 305 lbs about and made them have career years. Guys who were unnoticeable. Lou has certain specs he's looking for that can make role players look stellar. Zach Carter is almost the same, but lighter. He seems to operate the same too. May lightning strike thrice.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 05:28 AM)Yogo Wrote: How quickly we forget. Lou took guys like Larry Ogunjobi and BJ Hill that are 6'3'' 305 lbs about and made them have career years. Guys who were unnoticeable. Lou has certain specs he's looking for that can make role players look stellar. Zach Carter is almost the same, but lighter. He seems to operate the same too. May lightning strike thrice.

Marion Hobby was more responsible in the success of the DL
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 05:28 AM)Yogo Wrote: How quickly we forget.  Lou took guys like Larry Ogunjobi and BJ Hill that are 6'3'' 305 lbs about and made them have career years.  Guys who were unnoticeable.  Lou has certain specs he's looking for that can make role players look stellar.  Zach Carter is almost the same, but lighter.  He seems to operate the same too.  May lightning strike thrice.

Yep. And really there are no perfect prospects in the 3rd Round. Guys will all have flaws.

Heck in this draft, the #1 pick has questionmarks.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 02:16 AM)kevin Wrote:  
Right.  Do we have a good Defensive Coordinator.  You bet we do.   ESPN had Carter rated good enough to go in round 3.   

It's simple. Ogungobi is gone and he was our DT Pass Rusher.  This Carter is a DT Pass Rusher.  It's that simple.  

jj22 nails it.  Trust our Super Bowl coaches and GM Tobin.  We have a great Defensive Coordinator, so trust this pick.

I bet if we would go on YouTube and watch Carter highlights at Florida, we would be happy about this SEC DT.    Trust our Super Bowl Defensive Coordinator, you better believe it. 

ADD ON : I just went on YouTube and saw his highlights.  What's not to like about this dominate SEC Defensive Player.  The Zach Attack looks great in his Florida Gator footage and Senor Bowl.  He can line up at DE or DT.   The Zach Attack is an SEC Monster.  One look at the YouTube footage and you see why our great Defensive Coordinator would want him.   That is what they call Zach Carter, " The Zach Attack ".   Those who have no info on him need to throw away your draft cheat sheets and look at this monster SEC player on YouTube Highlights.  These are not easy teams he is dominating, these are Alabama, LSU, Tennessee BIG MAN SEC Teams.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

TDN had Carter as their 105th overall prospect, which is the last comp pick in Rd 3.
Bengals may have felt Carter wouldn't have made it all the way to their 4th rounder.

And I agree with some others, I think he's going to be a better 3T than DE.
Anarumo plans to put him at traditional 3T initially and then eventually give him some 5T reps once he is comfortable inside.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote