Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 LB's??
(09-03-2019, 06:02 PM)corpjet Wrote: poor Taylor Mays was 5 years ahead of his time......someone in that mold would excel in todays game

Or 25 years too late.

Fulcher would be a LB in today's game.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 06:02 PM)corpjet Wrote: poor Taylor Mays was 5 years ahead of his time......someone in that mold would excel in todays game

I think hes available.
Reply/Quote
I like what they're doing, to be honest. I think they're going to go 5 DL sometimes and heavy in the secondary on others. I do worry about teams able to run the no huddle against us, though, because we definitely seemed geared around switching personnel a lot.
Reply/Quote

Hey, the Bengals were almost cutting edge.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
What a horrible idea to go with 4 linebackers. They get hurt a lot more than other positions it seems. There’s no way they stay with 4 all year. Special teams n goalline defense look out.
Reply/Quote
I think they'll use a safety as a cover LB. ZT is one that thinks outside the box a bit. We'll see what he comes up with.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 05:47 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I don't think I've seen one good argument to keep only four LBs. I really don't understand it. Unless we are running some heavily modified 5-2. If that's the case, I'd want more DBs. I guess we will see. Maybe ZT was hiding the defense from everyone!?

The ones we cut blow chunks that's the argument. They are so bad Nickerson was the best among them. I am sure the team would love to have 1 or 2 more who are at least NFL caliber. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 12:31 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The ones we cut blow chunks that's the argument. They are so bad Nickerson was the best among them. I am sure the team would love to have 1 or 2 more who are at least NFL caliber. 
No doubt.

I think a big problem is that there just aren't enough good ones to go around.  Try and name a team just loaded with good LB's.  Even the best defenses only seem to have one or two quality LB's and then hopefully at least average after that.  And now they have to be good in coverage, which narrows the field even further.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Imagine how bad Jefferson must feel to lose his roster spot to pretty much no one. He must have really sucked. Ive never heard of only keeping 4 LBs before. Seems risky.
Reply/Quote
I think we'll probably have Williams in the box a lot filling the WLB duties when needed.
Reply/Quote
All the focus on so many WRs, QBs and RBs... I hope Zac is not forgetting the D.

D wins you super bowls, mmmarite?
Reply/Quote
He tackled like his eyes was shut hit our guys more then the other team. He injured a few of our players and he cant cover the pass.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 05:03 AM)treee Wrote: I think we'll probably have Williams in the box a lot filling  the WLB duties when needed.
Drop him down at last sec and it changes the defense look up on the QB make them think and slow down their quick release. Or bring him down in box early and drop back into safety spot last sec.
Reply/Quote
Not with his lack of recognition and uncanny ability to be wandering around out of position showing up late clearing off the pile self.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 06:01 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Drop him down at last sec and it changes the defense look up on the QB make them think and slow down their quick release. Or bring him down in box early and drop back into safety spot last sec.

Or have him show blitz and then slide out to cover the flats, or act like he's dropping to a deep 2nd or 4th for a step or two and then come in through the interior o-line on a delayed blitz. There's really so many more options when you don't have them playing 2 deep.
Reply/Quote
They must be pretty confident Fej or Williams can come down and help out against the run and covering tight ends. Im pretty suspect at this 4 linebacker situation.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I don't know if they will actually pull the trigger on it, but I'd be more comfortable with Shawn Williams as the 5th linebacker than Nickerson or Jefferson haha.

There's no question that running on us will be a favored strategy, but that was going to be the favored strategy whether we kept 4, 5 or 6 linebackers out of camp.

Because our Linebackers in camp were shit.

I don't know if there were any good waiver wire pick ups that the Bengals passed on or why, but I am comfortable with these 4 LBs being the only ones on the roster, at least for now. I just don't think there were any better options.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 04:32 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Is there an examples of teams that only carried 4 LB's on their roster that were successful teams? I mean it's not like our guys have been non-injury prone. Trying to understand the logic here. I get you're in Nickel a bunch and the talk about maybe utilizing Fej or Shawn Williams, but still wondering what kind of plan this really is.

Is there some stipulation that if you sign a vet after a certain date that his contract isn't guaranteed?  Could there be something like that in play?
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 04:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: Keeping 11 on the Dline is equally interesting. 5-1-5 looks you'd think, but we short on db's too so who knows.

Don't be surprised if Hardy is still lurking waiting to return ala Jerry. While we think they've got some master plan involving a fresh face with potential getting added sometime down the line.

I don't know if it is 5-1-5 or just 5-2-4, but the line of Dunlap-Geno-Billings/Glasgow-Hubbard-Lawson would make a lot of sense to prevent Wilson from getting outside and could also help stuff the run.  

I have little faith in Brown other than plugging a rush lane, so a lot will be on Vigil to cover anyone slipping out of the backfield.  I think he is the key to our defense this week if they go with this alignment a great deal.  
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 09:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Is there some stipulation that if you sign a vet after a certain date that his contract isn't guaranteed?  Could there be something like that in play?

Correct, players signed after week 1 have non guaranteed contracts if they are vested veterans. I'd guess that is what will happen with Brandon Marshall.
Reply/Quote