Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 LB's??
(09-04-2019, 09:17 AM)Au165 Wrote: Correct, players signed after week 1 have non guaranteed contracts if they are vested veterans. I'd guess that is what will happen with Brandon Marshall.

Thanks.  I doubt they go after Marshall, but there could still be someone else or someone to poach off someone's PS.  Isn't it about time to go back and forth over a player with Indy again?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 09:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Thanks.  I doubt they go after Marshall, but there could still be someone else or someone to poach off someone's PS.  Isn't it about time to go back and forth over a player with Indy again?  

I was more so pointing out that was why a team most likely won't sign him until next week, I do think he could be in play but even if not here he will get a job somewhere after they don't have to worry about his lingering knee issue. There is nothing holding them up from grabbing someone off someones PS right now as you can't be on a PS if you are a vested veteran so that guarantee doesn't apply.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 04:32 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Is there an examples of teams that only carried 4 LB's on their roster that were successful teams? I mean it's not like our guys have been non-injury prone. Trying to understand the logic here. I get you're in Nickel a bunch and the talk about maybe utilizing Fej or Shawn Williams, but still wondering what kind of plan this really is.
Coach Taylor came in saying in today's NFL you have 5 DB's or more on the field 80 % of the time.  That means the need for 3 LB's is 20 & of the time.  Therefore Bengals carrying a lot more DB's than LB's.   80 % of the time Bengals will have 2 or 1 linebackers on the field. 

So what we need is DB's that can play nickle D but tackle RB's and QB if it's a run play.

I'm also guessing 1 or 2 D Linemen are considered Tweeners that can play D Line or LB if needed.

Get ready for 80 % of time 5 or more DB's. That's what the Man said coming in.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 09:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Thanks.  I doubt they go after Marshall, but there could still be someone else or someone to poach off someone's PS.  Isn't it about time to go back and forth over a player with Indy again?  

if we were going after someone on someone elses PS we would have just claimed them during cuts
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 09:54 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: if we were going after someone on someone elses PS we would have just claimed them during cuts

Taylor says Bengals will have 5 or more DB's on the field 80 % of the time.   

Considering how awful Bengals D was last year, I'm open to Change.  NEW DEY. 

Now lets look at Mahomes or Mayfield passing at will on Bengals as linebackers could not cover receivers. The new coach from Rams says you need 5 DB's or more on the field 80 % of the time in today's pass happy NFL.

Most LB's don't have a chance trying to cover a receiver. The new NFL rules favor a wide open passing game. Look for more teams to use more DB's and less LB's. The days of 4 LB's on the field are ancient history with all these receivers on the field. Bengals plan to use 3 LB's only 20 % of the time. A LB trying to cover a WR is an easy touchdown for the QB.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 01:47 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Imagine how bad Jefferson must feel to lose his roster spot to pretty much no one. He must have really sucked. Ive never heard of only keeping 4 LBs before. Seems risky.

It is risky, but if they kept a shitty LB they would have had to cut a good DL which makes no sense. So this one falls on Tobin for not egtting enough good players at the spot. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 10:07 AM)kevin Wrote: Taylor says Bengals will have 5 or more DB's on the field 80 % of the time.   

Considering how awful Bengals D was last year, I'm open to Change.  NEW DEY. 

Now lets look at Mahomes or Mayfield passing at will on Bengals as linebackers could not cover receivers.  The new coach from Rams says you need 5 DB's or more on the field 80 % of the time in today's pass happy NFL.

Most LB's don't have a chance trying to cover a receiver.  The new NFL rules favor a wide open passing game.  Look for more teams to use more DB's and less LB's.  The days of 4 LB's on the field are ancient history with all these receivers on the field.  Bengals plan to use 3 LB's only 20 % of the time.  A LB trying to cover a WR is an easy touchdown for the QB.

Yep. Unless you are a LB that runs a sub-4.6 40, you probably aren't going to cover a WR.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 11:40 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: It is risky, but if they kept a shitty LB they would have had to cut a good DL which makes no sense. So this one falls on Tobin for not egtting enough good players at the spot. 
No it doesn't.   They are going with more DB's on purpose.  Coach Taylor said they will use 5 or more DB's 80 % of the time.  What part of that aren't people understanding ?  They are going with more DB's on purpose.  NEW DEY
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 11:46 AM)kevin Wrote: No it doesn't.   They are going with more DB's on purpose.  Coach Taylor said they will use 5 or more DB's 80 % of the time.  What part of that aren't people understanding ?  They are going with more DB's on purpose.  NEW DEY

It is still a risk - the question would be, if one of the other LBs was good would they have kept 5? Hard to know unless you are in the room. Are they going with more DB's because of defensive philosophy or because they know the LB's suck and they want to at least make best use of the players they have. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 03:59 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: It is still a risk - the question would be, if one of the other LBs was good would they have kept 5? Hard to know unless you are in the room. Are they going with more DB's because of defensive philosophy or because they know the LB's suck and they want to at least make best use of the players they have. 

Maybe they think players like Hubbard, Lawson, Shawn and Fej can play Linebacker, not too far fetched.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 05:59 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Thats the way I am looking at it. 

I like it. Use the good players that we have. Don't force a bum onto the team, change the scheme and use the players to their strengths.

Agreed, they need to find ways to keep Hubbard and Lawson on the field.

(09-04-2019, 05:03 AM)treee Wrote: I think we'll probably have Williams in the box a lot filling the WLB duties when needed.

Definitely, and it was talked about back during the draft as well.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 03:59 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: It is still a risk - the question would be, if one of the other LBs was good would they have kept 5? Hard to know unless you are in the room. Are they going with more DB's because of defensive philosophy or because they know the LB's suck and they want to at least make best use of the players they have. 

It looks more on purpose, due to offenses these days and it not making sense to only have 4 if you really want/need 5 or 6. As "sucky" as a couple of those guys were, if your D philosophy calls for the typical number of 'backers, you keep that number, sucky or not cause you need the bodies.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
And here's the kicker...

It's kind of...or could be...innovative.

I know it's hard to imagine that out of your Cincinnati Bengals team, if it's being done with a purpose--isn't that what we all want? A staff that follows, adjusts and sets trends to stay competitive?

It could blow up in their face but i won't complain about it because at least they're trying to be like the better teams in the league.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 01:47 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Imagine how bad Jefferson must feel to lose his roster spot to pretty much no one. He must have really sucked. Ive never heard of only keeping 4 LBs before. Seems risky.

Think Paul Guenther mentioned they (Raiders) were only keeping 4 on Hard Knocks.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 10:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: And here's the kicker...

It's kind of...or could be...innovative.

I know it's hard to imagine that out of your Cincinnati Bengals team, if it's being done with a purpose--isn't that what we all want? A staff that follows, adjusts and sets trends to stay competitive?

It could blow up in their face but i won't complain about it because at least they're trying to be like the better teams in the league.

Agree 100%. It's true outside-the-box thinking and I like it.

I was trying to think of the last time they were that innovative and it's tough. Maybe 2009 if you count their use of the extra tackle on offense? Maybe 2005 if you credit them for helping to bring back the no huddle offense? It's definitely been awhile.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 04:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Maybe they think players like Hubbard, Lawson, Shawn and Fej can play Linebacker, not too far fetched.

I have no doubt Hubbard could in a pinch. He started his college career as a safety but quickly bulked up so they put him on the line. From what I remember from last year when he was asked to drop back into coverage he ok and was better than a couple of the LBs we had.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 10:31 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: I have no doubt Hubbard could in a pinch. He started his college career as a safety but quickly bulked up so they put him on the line. From what I remember from last year when he was asked to drop back into coverage he ok and was better than a couple of the LBs we had.

Yes sir, of those guys Hubbard is definitely the one I could see dropping back into coverage and helping out if we need him to.

Shawn has played Nickel Backer a bit and has done well when he did. Lots of options.

Lawson is more of a pass rusher, needs to work on playing in space. Fej has the size to play Nickel Backer on passing downs.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 10:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Think Paul Guenther mentioned they (Raiders) were only keeping 4 on Hard Knocks.

Yes, I was just about to mention that Gruden's Raiders are only carrying 4 this year....
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2019, 12:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Shawn has played Nickel Backer a bit and has done well when he did. Lots of options.

Before he was a starter at safety he played nickel backer in our goal line package.

His highlight film that year was called "Nickelback's Greatest Hits"

Yes
Reply/Quote
found a LBer we can pick up

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/06/giants-release-linebacker-nate-stupar/

Good Special teamer played all 16 last year.... And our DC should know him
Reply/Quote