Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 free agents Cincinnati should sign following NFL Draft
(05-05-2017, 09:47 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: You can't tell Paul Alexander his Oline sucks. You just can't. I'm sure he truly believes this years oline didn't even need their two best players from last year (their only decent oline players) to be great this year. Waiting on a fluff piece with quotes hyping up Bodine and Ogbeuhi to confirm my suspicions...

PA works with what hes given he doesn't hand out contracts to keep his OL
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 10:03 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I would not expect any signing until May 10th as 5/9 is the last day signings count towards the Compensary pick formula

I had no idea, thought any FA signed counted. This is very important. TY for sharing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 11:17 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I had no idea, thought any FA signed counted. This is very important. TY for sharing.

just learned that myself yesterday reading about another free agent
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 12:49 AM)jj22 Wrote: If anything happens it'll happen after June 1st. Comp picks still in play. They should make another move at OT at the very least.

Comp picks are not effected after May 9th.

And dunlap, mangold, clady were all released meaning no comp picks associated.
Reply/Quote
Echoing others, we'll sign one or two after the deadline

Reply/Quote
Those guys are both washed up OT's not capable of starting.

As bad as CO has been...I'd rather play a young guy than an older guy that is washed up as the young guy has a chance to improve.

Levi Jones wasn't great his 1st year starting. Maybe Ced will improve?
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 11:36 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Those guys are both washed up OT's not capable of starting.

As bad as CO has been...I'd rather play a young guy than an older guy that is washed up as the young guy has a chance to improve.

Levi Jones wasn't great his 1st year starting. Maybe Ced will improve?

Somebody that gets it! Dunlap isn't any better at this stage of his career that Ced. He is a revolving door. Clady is not even close to the player he was a couple of years ago, same with Mangold. I know the Bengals are high on Redmon and Westerman, so I wouldn't guess what this year's Oline will start out as. Nothing makes a player better than experience. Not saying Ced or Jake are going to take the NFL by storm either..
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 11:31 AM)jeremydc Wrote: Echoing others, we'll sign one or two after the deadline

There is no deadline for the 3 OT listed
Reply/Quote
I have no interest in Dunlap.  He was never any good, is older than Andre Smith, and besides that was arrested just a few months ago.

Mangold and Clady are (were) better players, but I see them more as veteran backups as this stage of their careers.  Since Mangold has refused to play guard, I see him as less useful than Clady.  But neither one would excite me.

Odrick is intriguing.  I don't see him providing a huge upgrade to the D-line -- except maybe over Gilberry? -- but he seems like a solid rotational guy who would be fit our system.  Plus, I'm amused by his instagram pictures ...

[Image: 18161686_290665838035207_854179516832232...%3D%3D.2.c]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 09:15 AM)Au165 Wrote: Smith can still play Tackle and we have plenty of guards who can slide in for Smith.

Completely shuffling the line like that (and playing Smith at yet another new position - LT) is always a good idea.

And what if Andre is hurt (he's missed most of the last 2 seasons)? Then what?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 12:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Completely shuffling the line like that (and playing Smith at yet another new position - LT) is always a good idea.

And what if Andre is hurt (he's missed most of the last 2 seasons)? Then what?

Well you would kick Andre to RT if it was a LT situation and play Fisher at LT I'd assume. As for what if he is Hurt, then we are missing two starters and we are boned anyways.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 12:49 PM)Au165 Wrote: Well you would kick Andre to RT if it was a LT situation and play Fisher at LT I'd assume. As for what if he is Hurt, then we are missing two starters and we are boned anyways.

If you shift Andre to RT, you are then playing someone like Westerman at RG and (once again) shifting Fisher to yet another position - midseason, no less) ...when he's suggested he's tired of moving around and wants to concentrate on one spot. Seems like a lot of trouble just to avoid signing someone to back up Ogbuehi.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 12:20 PM)shanebo Wrote: I have no interest in Dunlap.  He was never any good, is older than Andre Smith, and besides that was arrested just a few months ago.

Mangold and Clady are (were) better players, but I see them more as veteran backups as this stage of their careers.  Since Mangold has refused to play guard, I see him as less useful than Clady.  But neither one would excite me.

Odrick is intriguing.  I don't see him providing a huge upgrade to the D-line -- except maybe over Gilberry? -- but he seems like a solid rotational guy who would be fit our system.  Plus, I'm amused by his instagram pictures ...

I feel sorry for the guy next to him. He was probably thinking, 1st class and leg room till this big lineman sat down next to him!!Lol
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 01:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If you shift Andre to RT, you are then playing someone like Westerman at RG and (once again) shifting Fisher to yet another position - midseason, no less) ...when he's suggested he's tired of moving around and wants to concentrate on one spot. Seems like a lot of trouble just to avoid signing someone to back up Ogbuehi.

Not really. You have roster limits your tackle really is a swing tackle or else someone has to because you can't carry two back up tackles on the 53.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 12:20 PM)shanebo Wrote: I have no interest in Dunlap.  He was never any good, is older than Andre Smith, and besides that was arrested just a few months ago.

Lol guy next to him saying to himself "I'm so scared right now" kinda looks like Adam Sandler
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 02:43 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Lol guy next to him saying to himself "I'm so scared right now" kinda looks like Adam Sandler

"always get stuck to these XXXXL guys on tiny planes lol
Reply/Quote
May not be any of these guys, but I guarantee we will sign at least one veteran O-lineman to compete for a roster spot.
Reply/Quote
We really need somebody who can play LT if Ogbuehi bombs, which is more likely than not based on last year. Not to mention he has a history of back issues, so even if he is playing well there is a good chance the he might not make it through a full year. I really wish we would have traded McCarron to Cleveland for their 2nd and used that 2nd rounder to get a good LT which was still available. Dalton is going to get killed this year which sucks because we have so many weapons.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 05:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: May not be any of these guys, but I guarantee we will sign at least one veteran O-lineman to compete for a roster spot.

I hope that you're right.  Besides, there are always a few "camp casualties", veterans that get cut in the first wave in favor of cheaper, younger up and comers.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I doubt we sign any of these players. Bengals are not going to cut Bodine, seem to like and trust T.J. Johnson and just drafted Dielman. Mangold doesn't fit into their plans, even if we on the outside think he's a clear upgrade over Bodine.

Also, to take things a step further, I don't think replacing Bodine was ever on the offseason agenda for them. With all the turnover already in store for the Oline, and knowing our coaches' love for stability, I think there was basically no way they were going to replace Bodine this year. They plan to give Ogbuehi and Fisher as much familiarity as they can. Once they see what they have in our young tackles this year they will look into replacing or extending Bodine in the 2018 offseason.

If one of our starters or important depth pieces (Winston, Johnson) goes down in camp/preseason we might see a FA signing, but it won't be Mangold. It'll be someone with a lower profile.
Reply/Quote