Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 free agents Cincinnati should sign following NFL Draft
(05-04-2017, 10:20 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: I'm still confused on why they think going into next year with this o line which was terrible last year and lost its two best players is a good idea

Welcome to the Mike Brown world, a world that defies logic in its most basic form. Mike Brown is the anti-Spock of decision making.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 12:35 AM)TKUHL Wrote: We don't need depth at Oline we have Nick Vigil. Rumor is that's why FA offensive players are afraid to come here.

My thoughts exactly.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 05:44 PM)Slythe Wrote: I doubt we sign any of these players. Bengals are not going to cut Bodine, seem to like and trust T.J. Johnson and just drafted Dielman. Mangold doesn't fit into their plans, even if we on the outside think he's a clear upgrade over Bodine.

Also, to take things a step further, I don't think replacing Bodine was ever on the offseason agenda for them. With all the turnover already in store for the Oline, and knowing our coaches' love for stability, I think there was basically no way they were going to replace Bodine this year. They plan to give Ogbuehi and Fisher as much familiarity as they can. Once they see what they have in our young tackles this year they will look into replacing or extending Bodine in the 2018 offseason.

If one of our starters or important depth pieces (Winston, Johnson) goes down in camp/preseason we might see a FA signing, but it won't be Mangold. It'll be someone with a lower profile.

As much as I wanted to see the Bengals go after a premiere Center, the way that things turned out with Whitworth and Bodine now makes me think otherwise.  You make some valid points.  They are already turning over 3 of the 5 spots to guys that didn't start there, last year, throwing a new Center into the mix would only further cloud the matter.  Boling and Bodine are going to be the only consistent pieces of the 5 man unit.  Meager as it was, at least Bodine showed some improvement as last season wore on.

I, much like most of the fans on here, would like to see them at least pick up some viable veteran backup at the T position.  Sure, Winston is good for some spot duty, and an occasional start.  Realistically?  We don't want him having to play multiple games in a row.

Honestly, I sure hope that the Bengals staff was able to look into some sort of crystal ball, and see phenomenal development happening from Ogbuehi and Fisher, because their lack of any serious attention to OL in the draft really scares the crap out of me. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 05:32 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: We really need somebody who can play LT if Ogbuehi bombs, which is more likely than not based on last year.  Not to mention he has a history of back issues, so even if he is playing well there is a good chance the he might not make it through a full year.  I really wish we would have traded McCarron to Cleveland for their 2nd and used that 2nd rounder to get a good LT which was still available.  Dalton is going to get killed this year which sucks because we have so many weapons.
I don't think there were any sure-fire OTs in this draft. So picking up a serviceable tackle after roster cuts are made is our only hope unless a FA happens to stop by for a visit. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 01:20 AM)Au165 Wrote: Mangold is just a name people know he graded out as basically the same guy as bodine last year.

Wasn't he injured?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 10:04 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: PA works with what hes given he doesn't hand out contracts to keep his OL

Yes....but he is the guy who "pounded on the table" for some of these guys....and insists Bodine is a good center.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 01:20 AM)Au165 Wrote: Mangold is just a name people know he graded out as basically the same guy as bodine last year.

While I agree, he was still graded as the Jets best OL last year?  So if you swapped the two, isn't it possible that mangold would have been better with better Gaurd play?  And also make bodine worse?  It's tough to grade OL as they work as a unit.  

Hopefully that makes sense...
Reply/Quote
Maybe we'll see a vet signing or two now that the comp picks won't be affected. We really do need a vet LT on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 08:23 AM)Wyche Wrote: Wasn't he injured?

Well there are two problems with Mangold.. injuried and went he played I read he graded lower than Bodine.. as thin as many teams are at center besides the Bengals.. i would think it would be a bit of a Red Alert that he is still out there anyway.. PASS
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2017, 06:55 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well there are two problems with Mangold.. injuried and went he played I read he graded lower than Bodine.. as thin as many teams are at center besides the Bengals.. i would think it would be a bit of a Red Alert that he is still out there anyway.. PASS

A lot of vets that should be on teams weren't being signed until the comp pick deadline passed on May 9th. We'll probably see more filler signings start to happen now.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2017, 08:14 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: A lot of vets that should be on teams weren't being signed until the comp pick deadline passed on May 9th. We'll probably see more filleer signings start to happen now.

Well good some other team can  take the old man then
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2017, 11:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well good some other team can  take the old man then

They aren't all old, mostly just backup quality. Examples being the Vikings signing Michael Floyd and the Cardinals signing Blaine Gabbert today.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 10:20 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: I'm still confused on why they think going into next year with this o line which was terrible last year and lost its two best players is a good idea

Because we are doing what the fans want and going with the young guys.... Wink
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 08:11 AM)McC Wrote: We are really thin at T, with only Winston as a backup.  We almost have to sign another T somewhere along the line.

Andre Smith will most likely be the backup RT.  If Ced goes down or sucks ass (again), Fisher will move to LT and Andre will man the right side.  
Reply/Quote
I am not trying to call anyone in particular out for supporting these potential FA maneuvers, but I find it very interesting that we didn't want the Bengals to keep rolling out retreads on the defensive side of the ball (Dansby, Sims, Hunt, Maualuga), but suddenly someone else's garbage is going to improve our offense over the young talent that we have invested significant draft picks to attain?

We spent our FA dollars signing key, young talent on this team. Guys that we drafted and developed that got their proverbial "second bite of the apple". We will have others coming up for their second contract as well: Eifert, for one. Do we want to risk not having the salary to sign a key weapon like Eifert because we sign someone that no one else sees as much value in signing, either? I sure don't.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 11:36 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Those guys are both washed up OT's not capable of starting.

As bad as CO has been...I'd rather play a young guy than an older guy that is washed up as the young guy has a chance to improve.

Levi Jones wasn't great his 1st year starting. Maybe Ced will improve?

Neither was Whit, and he started at Guard...I remember Feeney schooling him when he got his first shot at tackle.  Whit had that deer in the headlights look and was shaking his head in the huddle, as if to say he needed help.  How quickly we forget.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 12:20 PM)shanebo Wrote: I have no interest in Dunlap.  He was never any good, is older than Andre Smith, and besides that was arrested just a few months ago.

Mangold and Clady are (were) better players, but I see them more as veteran backups as this stage of their careers.  Since Mangold has refused to play guard, I see him as less useful than Clady.  But neither one would excite me.

Odrick is intriguing.  I don't see him providing a huge upgrade to the D-line -- except maybe over Gilberry? -- but he seems like a solid rotational guy who would be fit our system.  Plus, I'm amused by his instagram pictures ...

[Image: 18161686_290665838035207_854179516832232...%3D%3D.2.c]

He looks like the lead singer of The Counting Crows on some serious roids....
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 09:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Andre Smith will most likely be the backup RT.  If Ced goes down or sucks ass (again), Fisher will move to LT and Andre will man the right side.  

Hasn't it been said Andre will play RG this year?

Or am I mistaken? 
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 12:13 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: They aren't all old, mostly just backup quality. Examples being the Vikings signing Michael Floyd and the Cardinals signing Blaine Gabbert today.

old as in.. 30s for a lineman,, been hurt of late... bottom line we drafted a center, we have a veteran as a backup now.. we won;t be going after Mangold. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 09:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As much as I wanted to see the Bengals go after a premiere Center, the way that things turned out with Whitworth and Bodine now makes me think otherwise.  You make some valid points.  They are already turning over 3 of the 5 spots to guys that didn't start there, last year, throwing a new Center into the mix would only further cloud the matter.  Boling and Bodine are going to be the only consistent pieces of the 5 man unit.  Meager as it was, at least Bodine showed some improvement as last season wore on.

I, much like most of the fans on here, would like to see them at least pick up some viable veteran backup at the T position.  Sure, Winston is good for some spot duty, and an occasional start.  Realistically?  We don't want him having to play multiple games in a row.

Honestly, I sure hope that the Bengals staff was able to look into some sort of crystal ball, and see phenomenal development happening from Ogbuehi and Fisher, because their lack of any serious attention to OL in the draft really scares the crap out of me. 

This has been a huge disconnect between what the fans view as needing more priority/talent and what the Bengals think/value.
We've been clamoring for years for the Bengals to invest more into the C position, but they have openly said they value the T positions post, following by OG and then C last.
They view the C position as the position on the OL that can have the most success with a lower draft pick.
Given they lost their starting LT and RG, they weren't going to put any priority on replacing C.
Hopefully Ogbuehi and Fisher really progress this year so the Bengals can focus on interior OL early in the draft next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote