Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
444 points
2nd most points in franchise history 88 team had 448. 3rd best ppg average including 14 game seasons. What we have done is quite remarkable best chance to win a playoff game since 1991.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 01:13 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: 2nd most points in franchise history 88 team had 448. 3rd best ppg average including 14 game seasons. What we have done is quite remarkable best chance to win a playoff game since 1991.

Kind of a deceptive stat because the entire league is scoring more points now.

This 2021 team is 5th in scoring.  When that '88 team scored just 4 more points they were #1 in the league by a substantial amount. The '05 team was 4th, and the '15 team was 4th before Dalton got injured (finished 7th).  The '13 team was 6th.

Key to winning also includes points allowed.  This 2021 is 9th in point differential (+89).  The '13 team was 5th (+125) and so was the '15 team (+140).  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 01:13 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: 2nd most points in franchise history 88 team had 448. 3rd best ppg average including 14 game seasons. What we have done is quite remarkable best chance to win a playoff game since 1991.

We definitely have an explosive offense. With a better O-line I hope the numbers go up.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 01:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Kind of a deceptive stat because the entire league is scoring more points now.

This 2021 team is 5th in scoring.  When that '88 team scored just 4 more points they were #1 in the league by a substantial amount. The '05 team was 4th, and the '15 team was 4th before Dalton got injured (finished 7th).  The '13 team was 6th.

Key to winning also includes points allowed.  This 2021 is 9th in point differential (+89).  The '13 team was 5th (+125) and so was the '15 team (+140).  

Oilers scored 424 that season 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 01:39 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Oilers scored 424 that season 

Almost an entire full game behind the Bengals.

Oilers averaged 26.5 points per game and finished 24 points behind the Bengals.
Reply/Quote

I think Cincinnati has a great shot, probably the best since either 2013 or 2005 in my opinion. That 2013 team had some rough injuries headed into the postseason, though, so probably 2005. I charted out the Cincinnati playoff teams by offensive and defensive EPA for easy viewing. One note, look at that 2005 team. Elite level offense but a terrible defense lol. 

[Image: 3X0REgX.png]

This current team is the most complete team since 2015, which I believe was a Super Bowl caliber team. 
Reply/Quote

This isn’t really true.

Their best chance to win a playoff game was 2014. Home vs SD. Bengals were 7 pt favs. But dalton dalton’d with 3 turnovers and another 20 QBR/60ish rating playoff dud.

The bengals won’t be favored by more than 4 vs any current possible opponents
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 02:11 PM)OhioValley Wrote: Their best chance to win a playoff game was 2014.  Home vs SD.  Bengals were 7 pt favs.  But dalton dalton’d with 3 turnovers and another 20 QBR/60ish rating  playoff dud.

This X 1000

You will hear me talk a lot about how the Bengals were underdogs in a lot of their playoff losses or handicapped by injuries.  But that loss to SD was a complete "shit the bed" moment.  Dalton floundered.  Gio Fumbled the ball away inside the 5 yard line.  And our excellent run defense (5th in league) got shredded for 200 yards.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 02:11 PM)OhioValley Wrote: This isn’t really true.

Their best chance to win a playoff game was 2014. Home vs SD. Bengals were 7 pt favs. But dalton dalton’d with 3 turnovers and another 20 QBR/60ish rating playoff dud.

The bengals won’t be favored by more than 4 vs any current possible opponents

Your folly is looking at Vegas odds in hindsight, when I'm sure Vegas would adjust their odds with the current knowledge of Marvin's 0-7 playoff record.

0-3 without Dalton, btw...and all 3 other QBs had a "60ish" QB rating as well.

Simply put, a team coached by Zac has better odds than any Bengals team coached by conserva-Marv.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 02:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This X 1000

You will hear me talk a lot about how the Bengals were underdogs in a lot of their playoff losses or handicapped by injuries.  But that loss to SD was a complete "shit the bed" moment.  Dalton floundered.  Gio Fumbled the ball away inside the 5 yard line.  And our excellent run defense (5th in league) got shredded for 200 yards.

Iir. Gios fumble occurred on the sd 15. Driving. 1st down. Bengals tied 7-7 with a few minutes left in the half.

Ended half up 10-7.

Didn’t score another pt in the second half

They had 5 straight drives that resulted in a turnover. 3 dalton picks/fumbles. And then 2 more on drives that didn’t convert 4th down.

Depressing
Reply/Quote
Nothing against Marv he seemed to get quite a bit out of talent Nelson Tory James Pac in special teams. He wasn't terrible but he wasnt great either. Zimmer and Marv worked quite well together. But Marvin never played to win it was always not to lose we would be down 10 at our own 45 4th and 6 8 minutes to go Marvin would punt 100 percent of the time if he still had all his timeouts. He would instruct Dalton and Palmer to take a knee when the D jumps offsides. I'm happy Marvin wont be managing this playoff game thats for sure
Reply/Quote

Well, I agree with all of that. In terms of pre-game chances.  But.....

Our best shit was the 2015 game vs Pitt.  Under 2:00. The lead.  The ball. Deep in Pitt territory. All we had to do was run 3 plays and kick a FG. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 03:06 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote:  But Marvin never played to win it was always not to  lose 

The difference between "playing not to lose" and "playing to win" is just silly semantics.  Many times the coaches "playing to win" actually lose while the coaches "playing not to lose" win.

Marvin never lost a single game by being too conservative with a lead.  But he did lose a game by "playing to win" and throwing the ball around with a big lead late against Tampa Bay in '10.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 03:18 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: All we had to do was run 3 plays and kick a FG.  .  .  AND STOP PITT FROM SCORING A TD

FIFY
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 02:33 PM)OhioValley Wrote: Iir.  Gios fumble occurred on the sd 15.  Driving.  1st down.  Bengals tied 7-7 with a few minutes left in the half.

Ended half up 10-7.

Didn’t score another pt in the second half

They had 5 straight drives that resulted in a turnover.   3 dalton picks/fumbles.  And then 2 more on drives that didn’t convert 4th down.

Depressing

The only playoff game I have ever attended.
Reply/Quote

Don’t forget Green dropped a sure TD in the fourth quarter too
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 03:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The difference between "playing not to lose" and "playing to win" is just silly semantics.  Many times the coaches "playing to win" actually lose while the coaches "playing not to lose" win.

Marvin never lost a single game by being too conservative with a lead.  But he did lose a game by "playing to win" and throwing the ball around with a big lead late against Tampa Bay in '10.

You don’t necessarily need to have a lead, or even for the game to start, before you play on not to lose. Exhibit A - UC vs Bama
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 04:13 PM)N_B Wrote: Don’t forget Green dropped a sure TD in the fourth quarter too

Wasnt that against Houston? In one of the two losses to them?

Dalton threw a dime and AJ brick fingered it down the right side of the endzone for easy 6 (Very similar to the weird Chase bobble v San Diego 6 weeks ago)
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 04:15 PM)N_B Wrote: You don’t necessarily need to have a lead, or even for the game to start, before you play on not to lose.  Exhibit A - UC vs Bama

Agreed, but my point still stands.  It is just silly semantics.  Coaches that "play to win" sometimes lose games because of that strategy while coaches who "play not to lose" often win because of theirs.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 03:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The difference between "playing not to lose" and "playing to win" is just silly semantics.  Many times the coaches "playing to win" actually lose while the coaches "playing not to lose" win.

Ya ok, lol.. Marvin never lost a game being conservative? Are you serious? You can't be serious..
Reply/Quote