Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
444 points
(01-08-2022, 01:35 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: We definitely have an explosive offense. With a better O-line I hope the numbers go up.

This is an excellent point you make as usual. The way we might restate the title of the thread is “Bengals Score 444 Points Behind a Bad Offensive Line.”

Now let’s be fair. The Cincinnati offensive line is better than it was in 2020 but, continuing to be fair, it had nowhere to go but up. The line went from historically bad to just plain bad.

For the Bengals to consistently not just make the postseason but to go deep into the playoffs on a regular basis there will be serious upgrades required in the trenches. This will help carry Cincinnati to multiple Super Bowls.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 04:27 PM)Tony Wrote: Ya ok, lol.. Marvin never lost a game being conservative? Are you serious? You can't be serious..

Yes I am 100% serious.

If it ever happened tell me when. Give me a specific example.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 02:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This X 1000

You will hear me talk a lot about how the Bengals were underdogs in a lot of their playoff losses or handicapped by injuries.  But that loss to SD was a complete "shit the bed" moment.  Dalton floundered.  Gio Fumbled the ball away inside the 5 yard line.  And our excellent run defense (5th in league) got shredded for 200 yards.

Quote:Sled21 Wrote:[url=http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Joey-B-vs-Andy-vibe?pid=1135407#pid1135407][/url] The Chargers game was the most complete shit the bed experience I have ever seen on a football field. That's on Marvin and his coaching staff.

fredtoast

Actually we outgained the Chargers by well over 100 yards but turned the ball over 4 times (including once inside the 5) to zero for the Chargers.

that is the last type of loss you can blame on the coaches.

ShockedShockedShockedShocked
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 04:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes I am 100% serious.

If it ever happened tell me when. Give me a specific example.

October 21, 2018.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 04:27 PM)Tony Wrote: Ya ok, lol.. Marvin never lost a game being conservative? Are you serious? You can't be serious..

Am still laughing at that comment

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 08:28 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Am still laughing at that comment

And you are still unable to give me an example of when it happened.

C'mon, It should be easy.  You act like it happened a lot.  surely you can give me just ONE specific example.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 06:27 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: October 21, 2018.

Thanks for demonstrating your level of knowledge concerning Bengal football.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 02:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Thanks for demonstrating your level of knowledge concerning Bengal football.

[Image: 62854051.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 02:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And you are still unable to give me an example of when it happened.

C'mon, It should be easy.  You act like it happened a lot.  surely you can give me just ONE specific example.

As much as i was part of this narrative, i don't think it really holds true. I did go back to their season records to find games they lead at the half, only to lose the game and then watched the 2nd half condensed versions of those games on GamePass. In every instance i watched, the Bengals threw more than they ran in the 2nd half. 

That brings us to what i saw. It was a three-fold problem.
1. The defense was not able to stop the opponent
2. The running game was largely ineffective, and
3. Andy Dalton missed many, many passes to extend drives. A couple in particular, 2018 at Baltimore and 2016 vs Pitt. He was given many chances to hit passes and extend drives and missed a lot of them. That Pitt game was really bad where the threw a pick and threw several passes really late for breakups. 

So, in conclusion, it wasn't really a problem being conservative, it was a problem with execution and not finishing. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 12:49 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: As much as i was part of this narrative, i don't think it really holds true. I did go back to their season records to find games they lead at the half, only to lose the game and then watched the 2nd half condensed versions of those games on GamePass. In every instance i watched, the Bengals threw more than they passed in the 2nd half. 

3. Andy Dalton missed many, many passes to extend drives. A couple in particular, 2018 at Baltimore and 2016 vs Pitt. He was given many chances to hit passes and extend drives and missed a lot of them. That Pitt game was really bad where the threw a pick and threw several passes really late for breakups. 

So, in conclusion, it wasn't really a problem being conservative, it was a problem with execution and not finishing. 

Uhh, what?
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 12:49 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: As much as i was part of this narrative, i don't think it really holds true. I did go back to their season records to find games they lead at the half, only to lose the game and then watched the 2nd half condensed versions of those games on GamePass. In every instance i watched, the Bengals threw more than they passed in the 2nd half. 

I would tend to agree. The NFL is quickly becoming passing dominant, so teams are more aggressive from this front. However, teams are still conservative on fourth down decisions. I’m sure if we combed through the games we can find various 4th downs that Marvin probably should have gone for but the proliferation of fourth down attempts has been more of a recent trend so I can’t really say he was dropping the ball that much.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 12:56 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Uhh, what?

lulz. ty

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 12:58 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I would tend to agree. The NFL is quickly becoming passing dominant, so teams are more aggressive from this front. However, teams are still conservative on fourth down decisions. I’m sure if we combed through the games we can find various 4th downs that Marvin probably should have gone for but the proliferation of fourth down attempts has been more of a recent trend so I can’t really say he was dropping the ball that much.

Agree. With Marv and even Taylor up till recently, kicking the FG and playing defense was the predominant thought. There were instances where Marv could have been more aggressive and didn't but i can't, now, agree that he was "too conservative" in costing them games, by running too much.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 03:06 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Nothing against Marv he seemed to get quite a bit out of talent Nelson Tory James Pac in special teams. He wasn't terrible but he wasnt great either. Zimmer and Marv worked quite well together. But Marvin never played to win it was always not to  lose we would be down 10 at our own 45 4th and 6 8 minutes to go Marvin would punt 100 percent of the time if he still had all his timeouts. He would instruct Dalton and Palmer to take a knee when the D jumps offsides. I'm happy Marvin wont be managing this playoff game thats for sure

That is a true statement, but only to a degree.  They were told to take a knee if the play has not been called, i.e. still receiving the call from the OC in hurry up; still calling the play at the line; or mid-audible.  It was meant to prevent the QB taking unnecessary hits because the line doesn't have a protection scheme in place or the wide outs not having routes yet.
Reply/Quote