Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 More Problems That Should Infuriate Americans
Via Cracked.com

It's a comedy website, but the article hits on some serious problems.

Maybe even more serious that illegal immigration or witch hunts!

Quote:35 States Have A Legal Loophole That Lets Police Officers Accused Of Sexual Assault Avoid Investigation

Missouri Is Home To "Wedding Tourism" For People Avoiding Statutory Rape Charges

Letting Meals On Wheels Die Is Costing Us Millions (Oh, And Killing The Elderly)

Lots Of Homeless People Work Real Jobs, But Don't Earn Enough To Afford Shelter

America's Bridges Are Collapsing At A Staggering Rate

Details, links and sources are at the link.

I thought maybe some of these were worthy of discussion if anyone wants to read the article.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
These all do infuriate me, and I have possible solutions. They just wouldn't make the public happy.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-05-2018, 01:32 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: These all do infuriate me, and I have possible solutions. They just wouldn't make the public happy.

Changing the laws for one and two should work.  I'll let you tackle the other three.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Build homeless housing projects under bridges to keep them from falling.
(07-05-2018, 01:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Build homeless housing projects under bridges to keep them from falling.

Two more taken care of.  Only one left.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-05-2018, 01:32 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: These all do infuriate me, and I have possible solutions. They just wouldn't make the public happy.

I'd be curious to hear.
(07-05-2018, 01:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'd be curious to hear.

I already suffer mockery for posting tomes. Were I to lay out my policy perspectives on some of these it would be rather sizeable. It would also take me a while. Maybe I'll start writing something up in Word and copy it over here. Gives me a chance to edit and formulate cohesive points rather than the stream of consciousness those posts of mine tend to be.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-05-2018, 01:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I already suffer mockery for posting tomes. Were I to lay out my policy perspectives on some of these it would be rather sizeable. It would also take me a while. Maybe I'll start writing something up in Word and copy it over here. Gives me a chance to edit and formulate cohesive points rather than the stream of consciousness those posts of mine tend to be.

And a new thread for each problem?  That way all the arguments and shaming can be kept to one thought at a time.   Smirk
(07-05-2018, 01:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I already suffer mockery for posting tomes. Were I to lay out my policy perspectives on some of these it would be rather sizeable. It would also take me a while. Maybe I'll start writing something up in Word and copy it over here. Gives me a chance to edit and formulate cohesive points rather than the stream of consciousness those posts of mine tend to be.

Technically the tome remark was aimed at Zona, but I can see how you thought it was at you. Tongue

(07-05-2018, 02:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: And a new thread for each problem?  That way all the arguments and shaming can be kept to one thought at a time.   Smirk

Four of the five have been solved in three sentences.

(07-05-2018, 02:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Technically the tome remark was aimed at Zona, but I can see how you thought it was at you. Tongue

Well, ya know. LOL

Honestly, I don't mind it. I know that length does not automatically mean that a post is well thought out, but a lot of issues we discuss require a bit more effort to explain than we tend to give them. Because of this, when I have some knowledge about something I like to give it a little more attention.

(07-05-2018, 02:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, ya know. LOL

Honestly, I don't mind it. I know that length does not automatically mean that a post is well thought out, but a lot of issues we discuss require a bit more effort to explain than we tend to give them. Because of this, when I have some knowledge about something I like to give it a little more attention.

and despite my jokes, if I'm involved in the topic I generally read them.  Although I do admit I get lost sometimes.

(07-05-2018, 02:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: and despite my jokes, if I'm involved in the topic I generally read them.  Although I do admit I get lost sometimes.

I freely admit I get a little wonky in my posts, sometimes. In all seriousness, if you, or anyone, were to call me out on that when I get going on something I will gladly try to find a better way to explain it.

I know some people will go "well, duh" to this, but I have issues with social interactions where I'm horrible at reading people in person, so online it is even worse. I'm also a very literal person in many ways and I tend to forget that just because I know something doesn't mean others don't as well. There are bits of knowledge, as well as ways I process information, that are very second nature to me and I try hard to keep in mind that others don't think that way, but it doesn't always work when I start typing something out. So if you ever get lost, let me know and I will try to find a way to explain it differently.

(07-05-2018, 01:47 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Changing the laws for one and two should work.  I'll let you tackle the other three.

More taxation. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-05-2018, 02:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: More taxation. 

Well, that would be part of it, yes.

Done and done.

(07-05-2018, 02:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Done and done.

No.  Just more spending.  No one cares about the national deficit anymore.  See: tax breaks to corporations during a boom when they are recording record profits and historic stock values. 
(07-05-2018, 02:41 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I freely admit I get a little wonky in my posts, sometimes. In all seriousness, if you, or anyone, were to call me out on that when I get going on something I will gladly try to find a better way to explain it.

I know some people will go "well, duh" to this, but I have issues with social interactions where I'm horrible at reading people in person, so online it is even worse. I'm also a very literal person in many ways and I tend to forget that just because I know something doesn't mean others don't as well. There are bits of knowledge, as well as ways I process information, that are very second nature to me and I try hard to keep in mind that others don't think that way, but it doesn't always work when I start typing something out. So if you ever get lost, let me know and I will try to find a way to explain it differently.

See I'm the  opposite.  I know a little about a lot of things. (in other words I'm dangerous)

For instance I can sound impressive for about 5 sentences when speaking of (i'm literally thinking of an example here)  say the Battle of Crecy.  Then Zona can come in, give me an atta boy and take over.  I then agree.  Or to sound particularly educated I will question one small part of his post.  Then I'll agree.  

That's why I don't actually mind the long posts. I generally learn a few things.

(07-05-2018, 02:09 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Four of the five have been solved in three sentences.

Pull back the billions and billions (trillions over the decades) that goes into the Department of Defense/National Security black budgets that has no oversight or 'gets unaccounted' for, and use it to fix these problems.

Granted there would be some serious pushback on that, so it would have to take a lot of balls to make that happen.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(07-05-2018, 03:25 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Pull back the billions and billions (trillions over the decades) that goes into the Department of Defense/National Security black budgets that has no oversight or 'gets unaccounted' for, and use it to fix these problems.

Granted there would be some serious pushback on that, so it would have to take a lot of balls to make that happen.

I can see the conference now.

President: "We're long overdue on fixing our nations infrastructure. So, for one year we're going to close 70% of our military bases, withdraw our troops from the Middle East, and only pay for on the books operational expenses at the Pentagon/DoD. We'll use this money to fix about 90% of the bridges in need of repair across the country, and provide safe drinking water in hundreds of rural communities and cities like Flint. We're going to stop taking taxes from local bases just to turn around and send that money into foreign markets. Instead, we're going to solidify our local communities first and provide thousands of jobs doing it!"

Fox News five minutes later: "Destroying freedom was the president's message today."