Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
5 Players That Could Follow Hue to Cleveland
McCarron won't be dealt and both Smith and Tate could happily go to Cleveland.

I think the Bengals could be a good fit for Travis Benjamin...
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 01:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Of course it would depend on what Hue would offer, but I think flipping McCarron from a 164th pick to a 32nd pick (or so) that can contribute NOW would be a great move. It's all speculative, but I think the best chance we have of winning in the next 2 years or so would be with Dalton staying healthy (as he usually does) and making use of a high-pick player that we get in exchange for AJ McCarron.

That seems more likely to me than AJ having to fill in for Dalton again and notching significant wins in his absence. Ideally, we got our use out of AJ so now we flip him for a higher pick, get a contributor for a QB who (in best cases) spends the entire season on the bench, and Hue and AJ beat the Steelers 2 times a year. AJ is walking in 2 years, so if it honestly comes down to getting a pick for him now or nothing for him in 2 years, I obviously want something NOW NOW NOW.

That's my take, but the Browns will probably go the Wentz/Goff and McCown route so it's moot.

Not gonna get a 2nd rounder for mccarron...
Reply/Quote
Really like McCarron. But would trade a back up QB in a second if thinking a starter or two could be had in return.

Plus who needs a QB controversy every time Dalton throws a pick.

But understand wanting to keep him on the cheap. But that will only get you nothing in return when he walks the year after next to become a starter elsewhere, and disgruntled.

Give him his shot now, he has earned it and done the Bengals well. Because it will take an injury again for him to surpass Dalton as starter at this point.

A perfect time to shop him because Bengals do not have to trade him if right deal does not arise. Yet if the right one pops up, it would be foolish not to make the move imo.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Let's just say it's now or never when it comes to trading McCarron. His worth will never be higher.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 01:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Of course it would depend on what Hue would offer, but I think flipping McCarron from a 164th pick to a 32nd pick (or so) that can contribute NOW would be a great move.  It's all speculative, but I think the best chance we have of winning in the next 2 years or so would be with Dalton staying healthy (as he usually does) and making use of a high-pick player that we get in exchange for AJ McCarron.  

That seems more likely to me than AJ having to fill in for Dalton again and notching significant wins in his absence.  Ideally, we got our use out of AJ so now we flip him for a higher pick, get a contributor for a QB who (in best cases) spends the entire season on the bench, and Hue and AJ beat the Steelers 2 times a year.  AJ is walking in 2 years, so if it honestly comes down to getting a pick for him now or nothing for him in 2 years, I obviously want something NOW NOW NOW.

That's my take, but the Browns will probably go the Wentz/Goff and McCown route so it's moot.

This would be the ridiculously one sided deal I spoke of.  I'd jump all over it.  That said, it's a pretty good luxury to have a backup that doesn't send the team in a tailspin if he has to play.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 02:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: Let's just say it's now or never when it comes to trading McCarron. His worth will never be higher.

I dunno man.....future star written all over him.... Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 02:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not gonna get a 2nd rounder for mccarron...

Especially from Cleveland who is going to draft high enough to get a pretty good QB.  I mean if they offered the 32nd pick we take it - the value is too good and we can reload 3 of the 4 biggest needs in the first 3 picks (Run stopper, cover LB, upgrade at Center, quality replacement for Sanu)

I can see Smith, Nelson (or Iloka) and Sanu going to Cleveland.   Unless they give us the 32nd pick McCarron stays put and Tate will stay on our roster.  If they're smart they'll go ahead and overpay Jones right now.  We can't afford to lose him and hope to get to the playoff caliber team we were this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 03:48 PM)3wt Wrote: Especially from Cleveland who is going to draft high enough to get a pretty good QB.  I mean if they offered the 32nd pick we take it - the value is too good and we can reload 3 of the 4 biggest needs in the first 3 picks (Run stopper, cover LB, upgrade at Center, quality replacement for Sanu)

I can see Smith, Nelson (or Iloka) and Sanu going to Cleveland.   Unless they give us the 32nd pick McCarron stays put and Tate will stay on our roster.  If they're smart they'll go ahead and overpay Jones right now.  We can't afford to lose him and hope to get to the playoff caliber team we were this year.

Why?  Why would they jump off this rolling train to jump onto a train that isn't even on the tracks?  Cleveland won't be throwing over the top money at any of our guys.  They have too many holes to fill to shoot too much of a wad any one guy.  Maybe, emphasis on maybe, one of those guys will go there.  But four or five?  No way in hell.

I believe we re-sign pretty much everyone we want.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 11:13 AM)jj22 Wrote: I'd be all for trading McCarron. Jones is as good as gone as he's at the top of the list for Cleveland, Patriots, Dolphins, and Lions. We are also likely to lose both starting safeties. Reports came out last week that the Dolphins will make a strong run at Adam Jones. We need all the draft picks we can get to replace some big pieces we will have to replace this offseason.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3127/pacman-jones

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7503/marvin-jones

It's a weak wideout class this offseason. We aren't going to be able to compete, win a bidding war (we never are able to anyway) with other teams when it comes to our big free agents. We aren't going to break the bank on Jones, who is the top wideout free agent. 2016 quietly is a rebuilding year (obvious if you look at the turnover in coaching staff, and number of free agents we will lose) with a lame duck HC, and when you rebuild you go for as many draft picks as you can get.

Any GM that thinks signing Adam Jones to play in Miami is a good idea is a fool.  He may not be "Pacman" anymore, but he still has his brushes with the law from time to time.  

I'm sure he'd be content to just stay home and watch TV if he lived in South Florida.  No way he's out drinking or in strip clubs.  LOL.  Would be a disaster waiting to happen.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 02:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not gonna get a 2nd rounder for mccarron...

I know, I'm just making my stance against people who think trading a 5th round pick backup QB for a near 1st round pick would be a BAD move.

(02-03-2016, 03:54 PM)McC Wrote: Why?  Why would they jump off this rolling train to jump onto a train that isn't even on the tracks?  Cleveland won't be throwing over the top money at any of our guys.  They have too many holes to fill to shoot too much of a wad any one guy.  Maybe, emphasis on maybe, one of those guys will go there.  But four or five?  No way in hell.

Meh, is this train really rolling?  We've stalled out in the exact same place 5 years in a row.  I get it, the Bengals are doing better than many teams, but I can also see why people aren't putting the Bengals in the same pile as the Patriots, Seahawks, Broncos, etc. when it comes to "I'd take less to go there because they're a likely spot to win it all."  I have to think that players see Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown and visualize a ceiling.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 01:55 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: CincyJungle lists five players that could follow Hue Jackson to Cleveland.

After McCarron just took Hue to the playoffs and was a fumble and a bogus penalty away from winning our first playoff game in 25 years, you have to think that he'd give up a lot and feel comfortable with AJ running his team on offense.  

The Browns also have the second and thirty-second picks in the draft, and I doubt they'd give up the second pick, but the thirty-second seems like a definite possibility.  

Dalton's injury may turn out to have been at a perfect time because he proved that he's good enough to take us to the next level (you can argue he still needs to do it in the playoffs, but he was on another level this season), so we wouldn't need AJ, but AJ proved that he's good enough to be a winner in the NFL.

If we can get them to pull the trigger, I think it's a definite must to make the trade.

I'd be happy if Sanu took Jones place on this list, and Jones is valuable, so I think that we need to give him a good chunk of money because teams won't see/care that a big reason he was so productive was because he had AJ on the other side.  Marvin was a hell of a #2, though, so I hope that we can keep him.

Pretty sure that we're done with the headache that is/was Andre Smith.  It's a shame because I always liked him, but it might be time to move on, especially since we have two young tackles waiting in the wings.

I think, with his age, it's time to move on.  We have Iloka and Wiliams in waiting, plus I think Derron Smith could be a sleeper ball hawk, not to mention that Josh Shaw could probably play safety, and we could also use a draft pick on one.

Dear God, please let him be gone.

It would have to be a really nice pick for us to part with McCarron as we'd then have to draft and train his replacement. We know what we have in McCarron and the QBs in the draft are much less certain.

Looks to me like we can expect some decent compensatory picks in 2017.

I expect that we'll either sign Iloka to a long term deal or tag him, but Nelson, Marvin Jones, Adam Jones and even Andre Smith could all sign for enough to bring decent compensatory picks.

Sanu as a #2 WR is unexciting. Reminds me of 2014 all over again as we'd be one dinged up AJ Green from Sanu being the #1 guy. I expect we'll draft a decent WR or two in this draft regardless.

I'd almost pay someone to take Tate off our hands so that we have to draft a decent return guy.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 05:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I know, I'm just making my stance against people who think trading a 5th round pick backup QB for a near 1st round pick would be a BAD move.

Meh, is this train really rolling?  We've stalled out in the exact same place 5 years in a row.  I get it, the Bengals are doing better than many teams, but I can also see why people aren't putting the Bengals in the same pile as the Patriots, Seahawks, Broncos, etc. when it comes to "I'd take less to go there because they're a likely spot to win it all."  I have to think that players see Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown and visualize a ceiling.

it be great unless you think hes worth more as a back up than whatever the pick we get would be as there is no gaurentees in the draft. And we know AJ can step in if dalton is hurt and the ship doesnt go straight to the bottom of the sea.

To give that up i would want more than a pick even a 2nd rounder ( by that i mean i want a more sure thing.... not trading what i know for a roll of the dice). But if it does happen it will happen on draft day when we know who is sitting there for whatever pick is traded. We could draft another QB but he wouldnt be ready for a while so we would probly have to pickup a journeyman as well which would mean 1 less roster spot elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 05:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I know, I'm just making my stance against people who think trading a 5th round pick backup QB for a near 1st round pick would be a BAD move.

I believe the comparison is to the Browns and I'm pretty sure we're a helluva lot farther along than them.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 11:59 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hope hue fails and is out of cleveland in 2 years.   Same to all the players that follow him

Hopefully it is a ploy to make us better!  Trade us their top draft pick for AJ McCarron and a few of their other picks for random reasons and let him get fired and become our head coach in 2 years!!!  
Reply/Quote
I'm surprised Jeremy Hill wasn't mentioned. I don't know if Hue made the pick but I'd guess he see's Hill as a bright prospect who might be had for cheap at this moment.

Marvin Jones seems unlikely. We'll probably make him a decent offer and if it gets beat (and it might) it won't be by the Browns.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 07:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: it be great unless you think hes worth more as a back up than whatever the pick we get would be as there is no gaurentees in the draft.   And we know AJ can step in if dalton is hurt and the ship doesnt go straight to the bottom of the sea.

To give that up i would want more than a pick even a 2nd rounder ( by that i mean i want a more sure thing....  not trading what i know for a roll of the dice). But if it does happen it will happen on draft day when we know who is sitting there for whatever pick is traded. We could draft another QB but he wouldnt be ready for a while so we would probly have to pickup a journeyman as well  which would mean 1 less roster spot elsewhere.

I understand a bird in the hand and all that. And he's been developed. That said, what if it was a 2nd and a 3rd? That would seem to be hard to pass up. There will be other talented QBs that fall in the draft to be had as a backup. 

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 07:31 PM)McC Wrote: I believe the comparison is to the Browns and I'm pretty sure we're a helluva lot farther along than them.

Winners don't compare themselves to the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 03:54 PM)McC Wrote: Why?  Why would they jump off this rolling train to jump onto a train that isn't even on the tracks?  Cleveland won't be throwing over the top money at any of our guys.  They have too many holes to fill to shoot too much of a wad any one guy.  Maybe, emphasis on maybe, one of those guys will go there.  But four or five?  No way in hell.

I think we DO sign pretty much everyone.  I don't think we sign Smith, both safeties and both wide receivers.  

I think Sanu, Smith and Iloka would be happy to go play for Hugh if the money was right.  And I think Hugh would be happy to have all three.  Doesn't mean they will,  but I could see it.
Reply/Quote
I don't think we should be so quick to cast out Nelson. The guy just had a break out year. Every team is going to be conscious of his age, so he likely won't command much more money anywhere else he goes. I think we will get him back at a real reasonable rate.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 09:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Winners don't compare themselves to the Browns.
If the topic is guys leaving to go to the Browns, the comparison seems inevitable.

Reply/Quote