Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
5 Players That Could Follow Hue to Cleveland
I bet marvin jones goes to cle to be a number one. Just saw a post he was going to "explore" free agency:

http://m.espn1530.com/onair/james-rapien-56340/marvin-jones-plans-to-test-the-14344644/

But if josh gordon comes back, he will be the #1. Marvin jones will go to cleveland and i will laugh
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 11:27 PM)McC Wrote: If the topic is guys leaving to go to the Browns, the comparison seems inevitable.

Ok, then I'm back to my original point of:

"Gee, if only I stayed in Cincinnati I'd have won the Super Bowl!"

...said no person ever.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 02:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Not gonna get a 2nd rounder for mccarron...

It's very possible, but that's just mco.

He was projected to be a second round draft pick and then fell to the fifth, so having experience with Hue and coming a fumble and bullshit call away from winning a franchise's first playoff game in 25 years gives him a lot of value.

Hue feels more comfortable with him and will likely want him over an unproven rookie, so it makes sense.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 03:48 PM)3wt Wrote: Especially from Cleveland who is going to draft high enough to get a pretty good QB.  I mean if they offered the 32nd pick we take it - the value is too good and we can reload 3 of the 4 biggest needs in the first 3 picks (Run stopper, cover LB, upgrade at Center, quality replacement for Sanu)

I can see Smith, Nelson (or Iloka) and Sanu going to Cleveland.   Unless they give us the 32nd pick McCarron stays put and Tate will stay on our roster.  If they're smart they'll go ahead and overpay Jones right now.  We can't afford to lose him and hope to get to the playoff caliber team we were this year.

It may not just be Hue looking to pilfer. Zimmer is well liked by many players too and Gruden brought a lot of them in as well. Could see all three making bids for our FA.  

Sadly you are absolutely right that Tate will remain on Bengals roster. Probably until death do we part. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
So say that they do deal McC..Our backup then becomes Weddle and that's it.. That's not going to happen right after AJ stepped in and played as well as he did..
As far as Tate, I just don't get the hatred.. The guy isn't flashy as a returner, having someone who doesn't put the ball on the ground is pretty darn important. So he doesn't get TD returns, but the opposing team doesn't get the ball back every time they punt. I'll take a steady hand as returner 10 times out of 10 times over someone who fumbles 8 times a season.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 01:25 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's very possible, but that's just mco.

He was projected to be a second round draft pick and then fell to the fifth, so having experience with Hue and coming a fumble and bullshit call away from winning a franchise's first playoff game in 25 years gives him a lot of value.

Hue feels more comfortable with him and will likely want him over an unproven rookie, so it makes sense.

and Hue is known to ante up for players he wants. Obviously will not get a Carson like return. But Hue may reach with his 2nd pick. QB's are a priority in this league. 

If not AJ would remain a Bengal and the Browns can try their luck at drafting another starter. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 02:22 AM)grampahol Wrote: So say that they do deal McC..Our backup then becomes Weddle and that's it.. That's not going to happen right after AJ stepped in and played as well as he did..
As far as Tate, I just don't get the hatred.. The guy isn't flashy as a returner, having someone who doesn't put the ball on the ground is pretty darn important.  So he doesn't get TD returns, but the opposing team doesn't get the ball back every time they punt. I'll take a steady hand as returner 10 times out of 10 times over someone who fumbles 8 times a season.

If Bengals traded AJ then a FA QB would probably be added and maybe drafted as well. 

Tate ? Well just think this can be upgraded easily. Even the only thing good you name about him is that he does not fumble often. Good quality no doubt. Just think one can be found that can contribute in more aspects than just a kick off returner and part time punt returner. Already they let Jones return punts over him if he is not winded. 

Agree though that he is better than a guy who would fumble 8 punts a years. But do not want that guy either. He was already released once and really had nobody ringing the phone off the hook.  

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 11:47 AM)jj22 Wrote: Hobs said that Gio and Eifert are candidates for extensions this offseason. I think the front office knows it's unlikely they'll be able to keep a lot of our top free agents. Our cap space may be used to resign some of our other players not up yet up. And of course you know funny math drill they'll feed us. So we have 30 million in cap room, but Hobs will soon tell us 10m will role over for future contracts, 5 million will go to rookies, 6 million will go to injury backup. We probably only will have enough to make a run at Hall and Sanu.

You'll have to come up with an argument and some historical precedent for the Bengals sacrificing current free agent priorities for future free agent priorities. I just don't see how they would. You make this year's free agents the priority in March and April, and work on future free agents in the summer. That's what we, and other teams do.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 09:52 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: They would have to trade McCarron, and I personally do not see that happening.  They have him for the next two years, each year at well under $1 million.  Dalton has proven to be durable, but that tackle showed us that he is always one play away from missing time.  Having a competent backup, especially one with a low salary, is a real luxury.

Agreed.

And he would have won the playoff game if not for those meddling kids. He didn't play a great game, but he managed it well enough we should have won. It's not his fault Burfict went bonkers and Jerry Porter wandered around the field toward every Bengals player.

Unless the Browns are willing to give up a first, it's not worth it for us. Not that I think he's worth a first, but it's not worth it to us.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 09:52 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: They would have to trade McCarron, and I personally do not see that happening.  They have him for the next two years, each year at well under $1 million.  Dalton has proven to be durable, but that tackle showed us that he is always one play away from missing time.  Having a competent backup, especially one with a low salary, is a real luxury.

This.

It is not as easy to find a back up QB as some of you seem to think.  Also having a good back up QB is more important than many people think.
Reply/Quote
Let them follow Hue...All the way to the bottom again.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 01:31 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Let them follow Hue...All the way to the bottom again.

Marvin already has his four "12th Place Playoff Participant" ribbons...maybe he wants to get paid now.  Can't blame him.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 02:49 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Fine with all happening except losing Marvin Jones. Hope to keep him if possible to do without monetarily killing our cap.

Smith and Tate can go on their merry way for all I care.

Nelson would like to still keep but he is aging so would not want to go deep on money for anything long term. 2 year deal, yes.

McCarron would love to keep as back up. But would not turn down a good trade offer that Hue may potentially offer.  2nd rounder or better and he is shipping out if it was my call.

Yeah, i want MLJ back here. He will test the waters but we have enough money to match most teams
and keep him, Iloka and Adam here at the very least. I still don't think we have even seen a scratch of
what MLJ can do, he is a special wideout and i have thought that since his 2nd season.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 02:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Marvin already has his four "12th Place Playoff Participant" ribbons...maybe he wants to get paid now.  Can't blame him.

Let him go get that "31st non playoff participant ribbon" in Cleveland then and see how that tastes. 

Not to mention going airborne to make catches like he likes to do in 2 games a season against Burfict.  

Do agree with you and him though that it is time to get paid. Can not blame him one bit, but Cleveland would not be my first choice if I were him though. 

AFC North is brutal these days and the Browns game has now become even more of a rivalry for Bengals with Hue in the equation. Especially if he successfully poaches some players from us. but whoever pays the most should win. It is a job. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 02:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, i want MLJ back here. He will test the waters but we have enough money to match most teams
and keep him, Iloka and Adam here at the very least. I still don't think we have even seen a scratch of
what MLJ can do, he is a special wideout and i have thought that since his 2nd season.

Agree and understand the sentiment around here. Because I can remember many people pimping him on the Mothership before we ever even drafted him, certain you do as well. 

Do like him a lot, but believe the new pay structure in NFL dictates that you have to have a good balance between top paid players and solid players on the rookie pay scale. 

Have to choose very wisely about the few who get paid the big bucks. AJ Green and Eiffert is where I would put my money on catches. If he can be retained affordably ? Hell yes ! Agree with you also that he is just now scratching the surface of his potential. Still hard to pay a #2 #1 money without releasing other good players that are needed. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 02:28 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and understand the sentiment around here. Because I can remember many people pimping him on the Mothership before we ever even drafted him, certain you do as well. 

Do like him a lot, but believe the new pay structure in NFL dictates that you have to have a good balance between top paid players and solid players on the rookie pay scale. 

Have to choose very wisely about the few who get paid the big bucks. AJ Green and Eiffert is where I would put my money on catches. If he can be retained affordably ? Hell yes ! Agree with you also that he is just now scratching the surface of his potential. Still hard to pay a #2 #1 money without releasing other good players that are needed. 

For sure, and after hearing him talk on the subject i think some team might pay him #1 money and we will not do that.

Bring back Mo, draft a replacement or get that guy Rishard Matthews from Miami in FA.

Corey Coleman is the dude i want if we draft a wideout in the 1st. Doubt he makes it to our pick though.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 02:39 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: When you dislike Marvin so much that you become blind to how awful Cleveland is.

Please find the post where I said Cleveland is even an average franchise.  I realize this is a Bengals message board, so I should realize the same people who had no idea how NFL defenses were going to cover Denarius Moore AND stop Jeremy Hill from getting 6 yards every rush at the same time should also wonder why any WR would dare leave this franchise that is oh so obviously 1 lucky bounce away from becoming a dynasty of epic proportions for a shoddy franchise that will overpay him.

Yes, the Browns are garbage but some people act like that team should only be staffed by CFL rejects and players who are obviously insane.  What is every NFL player supposed to do?  Beg to sit the bench in New England so they can "win" a ring?
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 11:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually we have a long history of paying top dollar to keep our best players

Yep,

Problem is we have a long history of keeping a horrible HC.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 11:47 AM)jj22 Wrote: Hobs said that Gio and Eifert are candidates for extensions this offseason. I think the front office knows it's unlikely they'll be able to keep a lot of our top free agents. Our cap space may be used to resign some of our other players not up yet up. And of course you know funny math drill they'll feed us. So we have 30 million in cap room, but Hobs will soon tell us 10m will role over for future contracts, 5 million will go to rookies, 6 million will go to injury backup. We probably only will have enough to make a run at Hall and Sanu.

Yes, that's the annual message.

But somehow they do tend to get most of the guys they want resigned. Not always, but usually. This is a tough year because so many players have expiring contracts.

Not sure what we'd offer Gio as a part time RB, but Eifert is going to command a substantial contract. Getting that one done this off season would be awesome.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 05:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yes, the Browns are garbage but some people act like that team should only be staffed by CFL rejects and players who are obviously insane.  What is every NFL player supposed to do?  Beg to sit the bench in New England so they can "win" a ring?

Bengals fans see other teams through the fans' lense, which is emotional. Players and coaches see it in the logical, cold light of a business. Hue isn't going to leave, the fan says, and even if he does, he sure as hell won't go to that dumpster fire in Cleveland. Well, guess again. Ken Anderson would never work for the Steelers after they damn near killed him on the field, they're a scumbag organization. Yeah, but they're hiring.

It's a business. All our players have a price, it's just a matter of Hue and the Stains having the money to meet it. If they do, they're out the door.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote