Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
5 Sacks in First Game
I think it is fair to make a big deal iut of the 5 sacks & 7 hits. He dropped back 32 times & got hit on 7 of them. What is that, 22%? That is a big number. We made a big deal out of zero sacks allowed in preseason. Fair is fair.

But context matters, too. Hopkins was genuinely terrible. I hope it is rust. If he is healthy enough to start week 1, he was healthy enough to get more than 3 snaps in preseason. I'd much rather have had that rust knocked off when Burrow was not behind him.

Of the other three sacks, IIRC, Perine got beat for one and Sample/Perine one. The other was a combo of poor line play plus a Mixon mistake. Callahan rightfully took the blame for the scheme where Sample & Perine whiffed. Perine was good last year, but if Gio is still here, two (or maybe 3) of those sacks don't happen. For my money, Gio is a better pass blocker/receiver than anyone we have. Evans is our best receiver. Patrick our best short yardage rusher. Mixon our best 2 down rusher. Perine is none of those things.

Of the other two hits, one was on XSF on the TD to Higgins. Cannot remember the other.

While we did improve the line some (Reiff + rookie backups), I am firmly of the opinion we should have done more. Be it draft, FA, or both. Especially on the interior.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 11:21 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Lol let me elaborate a bit. Thought you’d have an opinion on if

1) the 5 sacks was how it’s going to be all year or if that’ll improve

And 2) if the protection remains as is… is Joe gonna get hurt again?

Last year people were saying he’d get hurt and low and behold he did, are you foreseeing that happening again? You’re usually a realist so curious what ya think is gonna happen.

We have to see, but I don’t think it bodes well for the rest of the season.

Bengals face a lot of tough defenses and pass rushes this year.

I think once the season is done and we look back, the 5 sacks in the minny game will def be on the high end of how many sacks the bengals allowed in a game.

But the 7 qb hits seems like something that can be eclipsed

We don’t know yet, but like I said, that wasn’t a great way to calm the nerves of the people worried about the franchise qb

Tough defenses on the schedule this year

and Perine looks horrendous in pass protection
Reply/Quote
Even though it's not his arm, if he takes a beating, especially early, this franchise 'could' be looking at another Greg Cook situation, even though it's not the arm, it's still a knee that needs to work.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 11:42 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote:  this franchise 'could' be looking at another Greg Cook situation

Right, because Burrow returning from his injury to complete 75% of his passes for 260 yards and 2 tds is almost exactly like Cook only completing one pass in his career after his injury.

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 11:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Right, because Burrow returning from his injury to complete 75% of his passes for 260 yards and 2 tds is almost exactly like Cook only completing one pass in his career after his injury.

Rolleyes
Don't be the farm on this!

Throwing arm versus left knee injury!  Don't think for a second, defenses aren't going after it!

It's well known that this was a serious injury, technology or not!

He needs to be protected GB!
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 11:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Right, because Burrow returning from his injury to complete 75% of his passes for 260 yards and 2 tds is almost exactly like Cook only completing one pass in his career after his injury.

Rolleyes

[Image: a1PrYOfzvxADGiXvuoPOOEbDP4oL4O8UbQ5Fuo-a...2ONn-Qsvmg]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 12:27 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Thanks...I thought it might mean:

Fractured Patella

Finally Petrified

Faulty Pipes

....or one that can't be posted on our family friendly platform. Tongue

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 11:56 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Don't be the farm on this!

Throwing arm versus left knee injury!  Don't think for a second, defenses aren't going after it!

It's well known that this was a serious injury, technology or not!

He needs to be protected GB!

Everyone here agrees that Burrow needs to be protected so he can safely recover from his injury.

But only the extreme drama queens are comparing his situation to Greg Cook.  Cook NEVER recovered from his injury.  He complete just one pass two years after his injury.  Burrow has recovered well enough to have one of the best passing games in the league on opening day and is not limited anyway in practice.
Reply/Quote
Maybe a stupid question, but can Burrow be coached to take sacks differently? I mean as far as body control?

He lands on his knees a lot and it is a major concern.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Everyone here agrees that Burrow needs to be protected so he can safely recover from his injury.

But only the extreme drama queens are comparing his situation to Greg Cook.  Cook NEVER recovered from his injury.  He complete just one pass two years after his injury.  Burrow has recovered well enough to have one of the best passing games in the league on opening day and is not limited anyway in practice.

It was also his best passing game (in terms of QB rating) of his career.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 12:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It was also his best passing game (in terms of QB rating) of his career.

a little balance in the play calling can do great things...  
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 01:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: a little balance in the play calling can do great things...  

Yes, and that is what seems to be the case. Going to the wide zone means a lot more under center, which is more conducive to running, and passing out of play action from that. It seems the staff is seeking a new identity this year, and it's probably no coincidence it started with the new line coach and his philosophy. I think that's why Zac gave control of the ground game to Frank.

Reply/Quote
Yes 5 sacks. But you need to look at where they came from. Three were the fault of Perine, Mixon and Sample/Callahan (slash here because Callahan in his interview said he called the wrong protection). Two were on Trey Hopkins flat out. Also it isn't like Burrow was getting blasted back there. 7 "hits" where 5 were the sacks (4 of which were regular tackles and one was a shot he took) of the other two they were impacts but not knockdowns. The rest of the time (as in most of it) he actually had a good pocket to operate in.

So if you are worried about the sacks the areas to address are:

a) Blocking by the backs. We are REALLY missing Gio on this.

b) Trey Hopkins needs to get it together. Hopefully we will see on Sunday that last week was an outlier borne of a lot of rust.

The Tackles and Guards did very well. And let's also remember a run game where the only run for a loss was the Jet Sweep to Chase that the Vikings were not fooled by and loaded up on it. We did not have the issue usually endemic to us where our RB has to fight through tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

So really it is Trey needs to shake the rust or be replaced by Hill (if he is ready) and the backs need to get their act together in blocking - and I am sure they heard about it after the game.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 11:16 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I don’t see Hopkins improving until late in the season. Think we have to accept he’s Bodine this year.(a liability)

Not his fault though. He really shouldn’t even be playing right now. It’s a miracle of modern medicine

If he could not  play now he would of been getting ran over all game he whiffed on two blocks after not playing in a long time. The guy was knocking the rust off he will be ok. 
Reply/Quote
Hopkins played bad. Get Trey Hill in there if he doesn't improve. The rest of the OL looked good.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 12:42 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Fudge Packer

Our qb will never finish this season and will be seriously injured SOON.. Number 73 of the oline got it handed to him all game.He is not a nfl ready tackle and it shows against top d linemen. Remember he got sacked 5 times BECAUSE of this offensive line.They are AVERAGE at best. And the rb is supposed to block as well and numbe 34 blew it twice and got our qb sacked.Our season greatly depends of this 0-line and they are porus at best.I am greatly concerned.Number 73 is not big enough or powerful enough. He gets man-handled ALOT. Cry Cry Cry Cry
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 03:06 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Number 73 of the oline got it handed to him all game.He is not a nfl ready tackle and it shows against top d linemen.

Jonah not only allowed zero sacks, but he did not even allow a single QB pressure the entire game.

You sure you got the right number?  Are you talking about our LT?
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 03:06 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Our qb will never finish this season and will be seriously injured SOON.. Number 73 of the oline got it handed to him all game.He is not a nfl ready tackle and it shows against top d linemen. Remember he got sacked 5 times BECAUSE of this offensive line.They are AVERAGE at best. And the rb is supposed to block as well and numbe 34 blew it twice and got our qb sacked.Our season greatly depends of this 0-line and they are porus at best.I am greatly concerned.Number 73 is not big enough or powerful enough. He gets man-handled ALOT. Cry Cry Cry Cry

LOL LOL LOL
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 01:21 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yes 5 sacks. But you need to look at where they came from. Three were the fault of Perine, Mixon and Sample/Callahan (slash here because Callahan in his interview said he called the wrong protection). Two were on Trey Hopkins flat out. Also it isn't like Burrow was getting blasted back there. 7 "hits" where 5 were the sacks (4 of which were regular tackles and one was a shot he took) of the other two they were impacts but not knockdowns. The rest of the time (as in most of it) he actually had a good pocket to operate in.

b) Trey Hopkins needs to get it together. Hopefully we will see on Sunday that last week was an outlier borne of a lot of rust.

The Tackles and Guards did very well. And let's also remember a run game where the only run for a loss was the Jet Sweep to Chase that the Vikings were not fooled by and loaded up on it. We did not have the issue usually endemic to us where our RB has to fight through tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

So really it is Trey needs to shake the rust or be replaced by Hill (if he is ready) and the backs need to get their act together in blocking - and I am sure they heard about it after the game.

Good post. But the part about the non-sack hits not being knockdowns is wrong, at least on one. He gets crunched on the TD to Higgins. Watch it again. XSF beat cleanly.   

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/32197548
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 01:21 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yes 5 sacks. But you need to look at where they came from. Three were the fault of Perine, Mixon and Sample/Callahan (slash here because Callahan in his interview said he called the wrong protection). Two were on Trey Hopkins flat out. Also it isn't like Burrow was getting blasted back there. 7 "hits" where 5 were the sacks (4 of which were regular tackles and one was a shot he took) of the other two they were impacts but not knockdowns. The rest of the time (as in most of it) he actually had a good pocket to operate in.

Trey didn't blame the rust, he manned up and said it was wrong technique on his part. So, it sounds like not having enough reps in camp in regards to new technique from Pollack. I don't think it's panic button time just yet.

Reply/Quote