Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 years $46 mil for TE Travis Kelce 1yr ago. Do Bengals pay Tyler Eifert that?
(03-29-2017, 08:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't know. I feel like he's probably the safe choice. He's "only" 6'3, 259lbs, so he's not a proper giant like the Bengals seem to enjoy at DE. He's also only 20 right now and doesn't turn 21 until the end of June, so he's actually really young for an NFL prospect. Might mean he needs a year to grow into it. Hard to argue with that production, though.

Taco Charlton is probably more a Bengals-type guy at DE. 6'6, 277lbs, might need someone to keep him going full effort. (The knock on both MJ and Dunlap out of the draft.) He is two years older than Barnett, though.

Honestly, this is the first draft in awhile I didn't have a terribly strong opinion on who I wanted them to take. I would be fine with Barnett, Charlton, Mike Williams, or OJ Howard. One of the four should certainly be there when the Bengals pick. I just don't want a RB in the first (pointless with this OL) or Foster (due to medical).

Same here. I could defend a number of different picks. I was super hot on Fournette for awhile. We need something special to pair with AJ Green. People seem to think that Fournette won't be there, and I guess they're right. But I get your point about the oline. We seem to be to RBs what Cleveland is to QBs. 

That said, we do have Gio coming back from surgery and Hill coming back from back to back subpar seasons. I think we have to take a RB at some point. 

Barnett would be a totally new look for us. Could we be willing to follow the trend in terms of drafting edge rushers? Barnett fits the bill, but he's going to have to develop an inside move with his pass rush. He can't just go full bore to the outside on every down. 

I'd be ok with Taco in the 2nd. If they think they can develop his raw talent, then go for it. I was disappointed that Malik McDowell had such a bad combine with his interviews. He's one of the best DLinemen in this draft. I know he's more of a DT, but he could handle DE I think. At least move him in and out. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No way. Widely recognized as a great talent at TE, but also known for his horrible injury history. I don't think he'll have the kind of offers from other teams to really put the Bengals in a bad position.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 10:39 PM)bengalsnj Wrote: No way. Widely recognized as a great talent at TE, but also known for his horrible injury history. I don't think he'll have the kind of offers from other teams to really put the Bengals in a bad position.

The Browns would definitely offer him that kind of money.  They are eating $17 million on Osweiler, they would defnitely eat some on Eifert.
Reply/Quote
Any number of teams would gladly take a risk on a TE with elite level talent but injury concerns. So we absolutely need to either extend Eifert now or commit to tagging him next offseason and extend Tez now. Another offseason where we let our young talent walk and don't even use the tag will be disastrous.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 11:16 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The Browns would definitely offer him that kind of money.  They are eating $17 million on Osweiler, they would defnitely eat some on Eifert.

Sure, but it's not really the same. They're going to try and trade Osweiler away
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 11:24 PM)bengalsnj Wrote: Sure, but it's not really the same. They're going to try and trade Osweiler away

Which shows you exactly how smart their front office is.
Reply/Quote
No. Dude needs to go. RGIII of TEs.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 11:25 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Which shows you exactly how smart their front office is.

Very
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 06:29 PM)eoxyod Wrote: A multitude of concussions is career threatening

Not to mention back injuries, ankle injury and his arms (elbow and shoulder) are going to catch up with father time. 
I'm 57 years old, been in more than my share of fights over the years and haven't had half of the surgeries he's had in just a few years. 
The guy has talent to burn, but talent means didly squat on the sidelines. You don't pay millions of dollars for hospital visit salaries unless you're my age and have great insurance . 
Thinking about hospital visits the only reason I ever bother getting sick is for the nurses. If it weren't for the pretty nurses I wouldn't bother getting sick. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 07:26 PM)Joelist Wrote: All you need to do is look at the offense with Eifert versus without Eifert. Sorry but letting him go to bet on a draft pick, especially one where there are real questions about intensity, passion and desire is foolhardy.

Until that draft pick shows that they are quite capable also....and play more games since they are not always out injured. Like I said, Eifert needs to exhibit more durability before he should be offered a top tier extension. If he is out multiple games again next season, I would have no problem with the Bengals moving on from him. That is not a moratorium on my affection for Eifert, I love the guy, But more my practicality on the matter.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 08:57 PM)Shady Wrote: Same here. I could defend a number of different picks. I was super hot on Fournette for awhile. We need something special to pair with AJ Green. People seem to think that Fournette won't be there, and I guess they're right. But I get your point about the oline. We seem to be to RBs what Cleveland is to QBs. 

That said, we do have Gio coming back from surgery and Hill coming back from back to back subpar seasons. I think we have to take a RB at some point. 

Barnett would be a totally new look for us. Could we be willing to follow the trend in terms of drafting edge rushers? Barnett fits the bill, but he's going to have to develop an inside move with his pass rush. He can't just go full bore to the outside on every down. 

I'd be ok with Taco in the 2nd. If they think they can develop his raw talent, then go for it. I was disappointed that Malik McDowell had such a bad combine with his interviews. He's one of the best DLinemen in this draft. I know he's more of a DT, but he could handle DE I think. At least move him in and out. 

I have my fears about Barnett because he's not considered in the top tier of DEs with Garrett and Thomas. He's in tier 2, so we have to figure out if he's worth the #9 pick or if we should move down for him. I won't necessarily be upset with Barnett, but I'd rather take an offensive weapon than reach for lower ranked defensive prospect.

As for Fournette. I'm so torn on him. I agree that he could be a game changing RB, but our OL is what me makes hesitant to take a RB at #9. I just keep hearing the 2008 radio calls all over again in my head.

"Ced Benson gets the back and makes a defender miss in the backfield. He dodges another defender. Finally, a 3rd defender takes him down after Benson gets back to the line of scrimmage."

I feel like his rookie season would be a struggle.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 04:02 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I have my fears about Barnett because he's not considered in the top tier of DEs with Garrett and Thomas. He's in tier 2, so we have to figure out if he's worth the #9 pick or if we should move down for him. I won't necessarily be upset with Barnett, but I'd rather take an offensive weapon than reach for lower ranked defensive prospect.

As for Fournette. I'm so torn on him. I agree that he could be a game changing RB, but our OL is what me makes hesitant to take a RB at #9. I just keep hearing the 2008 radio calls all over again in my head.

"Ced Benson gets the back and makes a defender miss in the backfield. He dodges another defender. Finally, a 3rd defender takes him down after Benson gets back to the line of scrimmage."

I feel like his rookie season would be a struggle.

Nothing will ever be worse than 08 with Chris Perry running behind that garbage OL, and Fitzpatrick starting at QB
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 08:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I have no idea what you're referring to in response to my post. None of it seems to have anything to do with Dunlap. I talked about Bob Sanders, about LaFell not being a 1,000 yard WR, and Eifert being hurt a lot.

Not to mention the only thing I could recall people saying about Dunlap in the past is "they need to cut that freaking useless Geathers and start Dunlap".

Dunlap had injury issues early on in his career.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 07:27 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Considering he continues to get injured, very well could be. He's been on the injury report 22 times. 2 were injured reserves. 7 he was listed as out. 4 were doubtful. http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/tyler-eifert-player-injuries

He disloacted his elbow and missed 2014.

Ankle injury that kept him out for most of the year last year, then had a back injury. He had to get surgeries for both.

He had back issues all year, which is what kept him out of games and practices.

Multiple concussion issues.

13 of those 18 TDs came in 2015. He had 5 last year.

Outside of 2015, Eifert has 7 TDs in his other 24 games.
He had one concussion in his NFL career(not sure about his college career) so I doubt that makes him want to retire.  Anyways I understand that he has injury issues but he makes the offense go when he is in the ball game. The guy is an elite player and is worth the big money contract if he gets injured again and probes he can't play then you cut him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 05:14 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Nothing will ever be worse than 08 with Chris Perry running behind that garbage OL, and Fitzpatrick starting at QB

A shitty OL blocking for a broken RB and a bad QB.

Sure was a fun season on the boards. At least three "I quit this team" threads a week.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I dont understand why people are so inclined to let eifert go. Hes just as good as gronk when healthy. And its not like gronk has beeen healthy his whole career either. Hes had 9 surgeries in 7 years.
back (three times), forearm (four), knee (one) and ankle (one).
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2017, 07:50 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I dont understand why people are so inclined to let eifert go. Hes just as good as gronk when healthy. 

I don't want him gone either, but I think a highest paid TE in the NFL type of offer is unwarranted until he proves himself more durable. I think that due to his string of injuries a fair market value offer is acceptable from the Bengals. If Eifert chooses not to accept it and walk after that, then so be it. He has not proven he can stay on the field.
Reply/Quote
I just don't see a long term extension for Eifert in the Bengals future. He's one little bump away from the end of his football playing days and everyone knows that. 
Some other team might offer him a big contract, but unless he can string together a few very productive and injury free seasons it ain't happening in Cincinnati. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2017, 04:13 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: A shitty OL blocking for a broken RB and a bad QB.

Sure was a fun season on the boards. At least three "I quit this team" threads a week.
I finally quit quitting on this team. After so many quits and coming back I realized that there is no quitting this team. It must be the Mike Brown vulcan mind meld thing he does to all of us in our sleep or something.  

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2017, 10:21 AM)Beaker Wrote: I don't want him gone either, but I think a highest paid TE in the NFL type of offer is unwarranted until he proves himself more durable. I think that due to his string of injuries a fair market value offer is acceptable from the Bengals. If Eifert chooses not to accept it and walk after that, then so be it. He has not proven he can stay on the field.

Love the impact Eifert has on the field, but the Bengals have to factor injuries into negotiations. They'd be dumb not to. 

Honestly I think everything depends on this season. If he stays healthy and productive, you make every effort to sign him. If he misses 5+ games again, I'd just let him walk.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote