Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
50th Anniversary of the moon landing
The world watched.

[Image: moon.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
I watched "First Man" tonight on HBO and was watching the "From the Earth to the Moon" miniseries all day on HBO.

Truly amazing what was accomplished just 50 years ago and even farther back with the missions to space after Sputnik.

Just think, the Wright Brothers had their first flight at Kitty Hawk and 66 years later Niel Armstrong set foot on the moon.

Why are we not celebrating right now about the first person setting foot on Mars? The moon should be more or less routine with a base built but instead we have presidents saying "We are going back to the moon" then the next one says "Nope, we are going to Mars" and then the next one says, "Nope, we are going to the moon."

Pick one and do it!
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2019, 11:25 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Why are we not celebrating right now about the first person setting foot on Mars? The moon should be more or less routine with a base built but instead we have presidents saying "We are going back to the moon" then the next one says "Nope, we are going to Mars" and then the next one says, "Nope, we are going to the moon."

Pick one and do it!

One day we will land on the sun. Ninja

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2019, 11:25 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Why are we not celebrating right now about the first person setting foot on Mars? The moon should be more or less routine with a base built but instead we have presidents saying "We are going back to the moon" then the next one says "Nope, we are going to Mars" and then the next one says, "Nope, we are going to the moon."

Pick one and do it!

I'm assuming it's like most things at the federal level. The president can toss out decrees all day long, but someone still has to pay for it. And that's congress.

Which should explain a lot. It's hard to pay for advancement and achievement when you're busy making sure your donors have contracts.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 11:03 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: One day we will land on the sun. Ninja

It'll be ok, we'll just go at night.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 08:58 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: It'll be ok, we'll just go at night.

Hilarious

Reply/Quote
Aside from the fact it happened two days BEFORE my 10th birthday and still pisses me off to this day I also go from believing it happened to not believing it back to believing it. I really want to believe it, but on the same hand don't particularly trust the United States government to tell us the truth about much of anything anymore. Nearly everything coming from Washington today has an extreme partisan spin to make belief seem incredulous. The part that's bothered me for some time now is why has no nation ever returned. We've had people living in space for some time with untold missions into space, but nobody has bothered to go back to the moon for what reasons exactly? Certainly it's not the lack of money nor political will for that matter. If nations have the money to keep people alive on the ISS for long periods, launch untold satellites and probes to the furthest reaches of our solar system and beyond then what's the reasoning to never having returned to the moon in all this time?  Something about this just defies all logic and we're certainly not the only nation capable of going into space. 
Perhaps it is political since neither political party is willing to allow the other to achieve any accomplishments even if it means American prestige, technological advancement or anything else that might benefit the vast majority of the human race. The only thing either party seems willing to sign off on together is killing. They all seem to like the idea of military misadventures that cost us all untold dollars, but none seem willing to advance things that may benefit us all.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
[Image: 366e95fd3f539dcd7c6d630cbc4603bb.jpg]
Reply/Quote