Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6 months
I was reading another message board the other day and one of their posters had this topic.  He went to the doctor last month because of severe back aches and after running a bunch of tests the doctors came back with Stage IV pancreatic cancer as the diagnosis. He was told to not expect recovery.  As Paul Newman's character in 'Hud' said, "no one is getting out of here alive;" his time table has just been moved up. Obviously he's dealing with this the best he can but its been devastating to his wife.  His daughter in law is an oncology nurse at a different hospital in town and she's been an absolute blessing for them.  She's setting up him up for 2nd opinion and being the rock for the family at this time and helping them understand all the medical terminology being thrown at them. 

My question to you is what would you do if this was you?  You have 6 months to go.  Do you quit your job?  Do you stick around and try to fight it?  Will you travel?  Go visit places you only dreamed of before?  Try to track down long lost friends? 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 01:06 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I was reading another message board the other day and one of their posters had this topic.  He went to the doctor last month because of severe back aches and after running a bunch of tests the doctors came back with Stage IV pancreatic cancer as the diagnosis. He was told to not expect recovery.  As Paul Newman's character in 'Hud' said, "no one is getting out of here alive;" his time table has just been moved up. Obviously he's dealing with this the best he can but its been devastating to his wife.  His daughter in law is an oncology nurse at a different hospital in town and she's been an absolute blessing for them.  She's setting up him up for 2nd opinion and being the rock for the family at this time and helping them understand all the medical terminology being thrown at them. 

My question to you is what would you do if this was you?  You have 6 months to go.  Do you quit your job?  Do you stick around and try to fight it?  Will you travel?  Go visit places you only dreamed of before?  Try to track down long lost friends? 

My first goal would be not to leave my wife with debt. So if that ment keep working till i drop i will do so. unless a family member with money wants to pay for me to quit work and live my dreams.

Demand a threesome lol
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 01:06 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I was reading another message board the other day
Sad
Reply/Quote
Heroin...always wanted to try it. Have never for fear of you know...becoming a heroin junky...but with 6 months....who cares.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 03:30 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: Heroin...always wanted to try it.  Have never for fear of you know...becoming a heroin junky...but with 6 months....who cares.

This, plus lots and lots of credit card applications.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 03:03 PM)Benton Wrote: Sad

No worries.......This is where my  :heart:  lies.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Quitting would definitely be a must-do. I would not want to spend my last days going to work, and I'm confident my wife would tell me to quit, too. I'd go to Paris, which I haven't visited since I was a teen too young to really appreciate it. I would spend what time I could with my family. I'd tell the ex 'no hard feelings.' I'd let go of my regrets and disappointments and savor each day I had left, like it was gold in my hand.

And, two chicks at once.

[Image: lawrence.jpeg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Pull a Clint Eastwood in Gran Turino.

Find someone in dire need of protection
Find a way of protecting them by sending them to jail for murdering me

No, I don't think I could do that.

Hell, I don't know what I would do and I hope to never find out.
Reply/Quote
Work till I drop. Quitting would cause me to lose my life insurance and I hate not getting my moneys worth in something I've invested in.

Reply/Quote
Make sure the peeps that I love know it. See some of the natural world that has only been read about ( glaciers, giant redwood trees,rock of gibraltar, pyramids,kim kartrashians ass-j/k )
Reply/Quote
Personally, I think that I would continue on with my routine until I could physically no longer do so. This includes working and doing whatever else I do.

IMO quitting work and altering your lifestyle is the same as just giving up and waiting to die. I guess in some way it could be seen as being in denial, but I feel that continuing on with my life is the best defense. 
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 07:37 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Personally, I think that I would continue on with my routine until I could physically no longer do so. This includes working and doing whatever else I do.

IMO quitting work and altering your lifestyle is the same as just giving up and waiting to die. I guess in some way it could be seen as being in denial, but I feel that continuing on with my life is the best defense. 

I don't see it that way at all.  I see it as embracing my final days with my loved ones, doing the things I enjoy in the precious time I have left, instead of toiling away with a bunch of people that, compared to my family, don't mean a lot to me.  Besides, who wants to deal with the gossip and the whispers and the inane, repeated questions all day while you try to do a job.  I mean, if you don't have anyone to be with as you slide toward oblivion, then work is a good distraction, I guess, but it's not the end I'd want.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 08:15 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I don't see it that way at all.  I see it as embracing my final days with my loved ones, doing the things I enjoy in the precious time I have left, instead of toiling away with a bunch of people that, compared to my family, don't mean a lot to me.  Besides, who wants to deal with the gossip and the whispers and the inane, repeated questions all day while you try to do a job.  I mean, if you don't have anyone to be with as you slide toward oblivion, then work is a good distraction, I guess, but it's not the end I'd want.  

I understand your point and I agree.

Just different ways of handling a bad situation. Im just stating how I would see it and how I would handle it. I don't think that there's a one size fits all answer and Im almost positive that my way is in the minority. 

Just count your blessings that neither of us have to deal with such a situation. 
Reply/Quote
Find the peace within'

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Being an old fart, I've actually given this a little thought. And I've come to the conclusion that I would probably just continue doing what I normally do. I would just spend a little more time with the family and loved ones. That time would gradually increase as the end drew nearer.

I would love to leave some ultra-profound messages for my son. But, how ultra-profound can something be when you are hammering them with ultra-profound stuff every day. No, if he hasn't picked up on a better way of living and that I love him just by being around me for the past nine years, what deathbed words are gonna matter?
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
I'd volunteer for experimental treatments... signing all waivers. Who knows, perhaps there could be a breakthrough some years off and my death might mean something to someone 20 years from now.

I'd spend as much time with family and friends as I could. Also transition my clients to other people in the office so they could be well taken care of. I'd travel a bit at first too, just to see a few of the places I still have on my dream list.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Drugs, and a lot of strip clubs.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Travel to some remote island in the South Pacific and rent an tiny isolated hut. Spend my final days snorkeling and laying in a hammock on the beach in the shade.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2016, 03:34 PM)Beaker Wrote: Travel to some remote island in the South Pacific and rent an tiny isolated hut. Spend my final days snorkeling and laying in a hammock on the beach in the shade.

I'm in for this, just with drugs and hookers.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm quitting my job. I'm young so not much life insurance, plus I have no real dependents. So traveling to all 50 states. I'm at 10 so far, and I just want to life every day as a party. But also give my all. Help people. I may die but my kind words may not. I've lost friends and things they've said and done continue to resonate in me, so I'd like to do the same. They may not remember my name, but they'll remember my heart and actions.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote