Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
60+ votes to repeal Obamcare over six years...and the GOP still doesn't have a plan
They don't have a replacement.

Trump doesn't have a plan, a really great plan, plans you never even though of.

They have nothing except...ours will be better.  We promise.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/12/05/paul-ryan-obamacare-phaseout-leave-no-one-worse-off/95002488/

Quote:Paul Ryan: Obamacare phaseout will leave 'no one worse off'

House Speaker Paul Ryan said Monday he envisions an extended transition from Obamacare that ensures “no one is worse off” after Congress votes to repeal the program.

The speaker declined to say how long it would take Republicans to design a replacement so that the millions of people now covered by the Affordable Care
Act can be transitioned off it.

“It will clearly take time. It took them about six years to stand up Obamacare. It’s not going to be replaced come next football season,” Ryan said in an interview Monday with the Journal Sentinel.
[/url]

[url=http://www.usatoday.com/story/sponsor-story/doctors-without-borders/2016/11/30/doctors-without-borders-5-stories-care-and-compassion/94555454/]
Ryan said there will be an early repeal vote next year, but after that, “clearly there will be a transition and a bridge so that no one is left out in the cold, so that no one is worse off. The purpose here is to bring relief to people who are suffering from Obamacare so that they can get something better.”

Some Republicans have suggested it would take years to perform the complex process of phasing out and replacing the health care law.

Critics and some analysts have predicted that a GOP strategy of quickly voting to repeal the program but delaying its effective end date would create chaos and disruption for the people currently in it.

Ryan rejected that, saying “Obamacare is failing and failing quickly,” and “there is nowhere to go but up with respect to Obamacare.”

Ryan also addressed other issues in the interview:
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I just wrote an editorial about that yesterday. Mitch McConnell over the weekend said pretty much the same thing, that it would be impossible to just snap your fingers and undo it, especially without a plan (paraphrasing).

And my first thought was "why did you waste tens of millions of dollars on something if you knew that even on the far remote chance you succeeded, that you'd ultimately have to repeal your repeal because you didn't have a plan?"

It's amazing how un-conservative the GOP has gotten.

Of course, some of it is due to Trump changing course and saying he wants to keep some of Obamacare. I wouldn't look for anything to change, definitely not heading into mid-term when they'll keep banging that drum saying they need the majority to undo the stuff they're now saying they can't undo.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
LOL they will repeal it, but they need a plan ready to roll. Otherwise they can kiss re-elections bye bye.

We all knew a repeal was not going to happen overnight, and if you thought it was, well then you just don't know how things work.
(12-06-2016, 12:44 PM)Benton Wrote: I just wrote an editorial about that yesterday. Mitch McConnell over the weekend said pretty much the same thing, that it would be impossible to just snap your fingers and undo it, especially without a plan (paraphrasing).

And my first thought was "why did you waste tens of millions of dollars on something if you knew that even on the far remote chance you succeeded, that you'd ultimately have to repeal your repeal because you didn't have a plan?"

It's amazing how un-conservative the GOP has gotten.

Of course, some of it is due to Trump changing course and saying he wants to keep some of Obamacare. I wouldn't look for anything to change, definitely not heading into mid-term when they'll keep banging that drum saying they need the majority to undo the stuff they're now saying they can't undo.

He/they were building political capital for this year's election. Lathering up the masses in prep for a GOP sweep. Constant criticism of any negative aspect really helped in feeding the unrest growing nationally, regardless of political stripe. There was little or no interest in presenting an alternative. That wasn't their goal at all. Booting out the left was the goal.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(12-06-2016, 10:29 AM)GMDino Wrote: They don't have a replacement.

Trump doesn't have a plan, a really great plan, plans you never even though of.

They have nothing except...ours will be better.  We promise.

What do you have against a "really great plan" for our country's healthcare system? Ninja
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(12-06-2016, 12:50 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: LOL they will repeal it, but they need a plan ready to roll. Otherwise they can kiss re-elections bye bye.

We all knew a repeal was not going to happen overnight, and if you thought it was, well then you just don't know how things work.

If anybody has the confidence and guts to try to change it all literally over night - possibly through a single 3am Tweet - it's Trump. Ninja
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(12-06-2016, 12:50 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: LOL they will repeal it, but they need a plan ready to roll. Otherwise they can kiss re-elections bye bye.

No, sadly there are plenty of people who thought they would repeal it and that would be that.

Because it's "bad" "awful" "horrible", etc.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-06-2016, 01:35 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: He/they were building political capital for this year's election. Lathering up the masses in prep for a GOP sweep. Constant criticism of any negative aspect really helped in feeding the unrest growing nationally, regardless of political stripe. There was little or no interest in presenting an alternative. That wasn't their goal at all. Booting out the left was the goal.

This is the type of thing that leaves a bad taste in the mouths of the people that know better, and causes the rubes that actually buy this type of stuff to become further polarized.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

That's part of the issue though.

For years all we've heard is it's an abomination that's destroying our country, but the GOP would save everyone if they could just get a majority. They got it, and now they're saying they... uh... well... never really knew what came next.

It would have made sense (or saved some face) if Ryan and McConnell came out and said there was a plan, they were going to phase Obamacare out and the Republicare in over the next several years. Instead, they're saying they're going to work on it. In a couple years. Probably.
(12-06-2016, 03:28 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is the type of thing that leaves a bad taste in the mouths of the people that know better, and causes the rubes that actually buy this type of stuff to become further polarized.

The Mitch McConnells of our government have held this country hostage due to their agenda. Publicly announcing they were against anything Obama was the seed. From that point on, all sides sinned with regard of not putting their, and our, country first. In a time when we needed leaders, all we got were angry and selfish politicians whose actions put us further in a hole. I'm not as much anti GOP or Democrat as I am anti bullshit. What few statesmen we have get laughed off the stage.

And now we have what is being perceived as the 'absurdity of Trump'. And the funny (or maybe scary) thing about that just might be who he has supporting/advising him now. The possibility of him looking rational is increasing. Simple polarization might someday become welcomed .....

(12-06-2016, 03:46 PM)Benton Wrote: That's part of the issue though.

For years all we've heard is it's an abomination that's destroying our country, but the GOP would save everyone if they could just get a majority. They got it, and now they're saying they... uh... well... never really knew what came next.

It would have made sense (or saved some face) if Ryan and McConnell came out and said there was a plan, they were going to phase Obamacare out and the Republicare in over the next several years. Instead, they're saying they're going to work on it. In a couple years. Probably.

Exactly! I have to believe that most people wanted to see alternatives when their criticisms were being shouted out. I know my first reaction to someone who says "this is wrong" is to ask "what is right, then?".  Give me something to consider. Obamacare is not a good plan, but it was a good start toward addressing the real problem - out of control healthcare costs and services. But just saying it's bad w/o proposed corrective action from our elected officials is simply not acceptable. Add to this that after 6 years, there still is no detailed alternative proposed for consideration, which is salt in the wound. We need responsible adults in these positions, and our voters still have their heads in the ground.

Providing affordable health care coverage for people while still pumping billions of dollars into health insurance profits (which pay for zero health care) is very complicated and maybe even impossible. But the GOP has had six years to work on it.

So far they have a plan to provide tax credits for people to help pay for health insurance, but how the hell does that save any money?
(12-06-2016, 06:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Providing affordable health care coverage for people while still pumping billions of dollars into health insurance profits (which pay for zero health care) is very complicated and maybe even impossible.  But the GOP has had six years to work on it.  

So far they have a plan to provide tax credits for people to help pay for health insurance, but how the hell does that save any money?

It wouldn't. It would mostly be helping people who are already paying for it at the cost of those who are already paying for it.
Don't care what comes after it. I just know "it won't cost you a dime more" and "you can keep your plan, keep your doctor" was two of the biggest piles of BS told. I don't know anyone who has been positively affected by the ACA.

I know people who are paying significantly more, I know people who are avoiding going to the doctor because they can't afford the new deductibles, I know people who got the hours at their job cut so they were below the ACA part time limit, I know people who were negatively effected by the extra taxes on the medical goods they sold for a living, I know people who have been crushed by medication prices since the ACA passed, I know people who are 100% healthy who are still being forced to pay into a program they don't need, I know people who had to go to a shittier dentist because their dentist wasn't covered anymore under their plan, and I know people who have been kicked off their spouse's work because of the rise in costs meaning the work refused to cover their spouse if the spouse could get health care through their work (even if it was worse or more expensive).

I don't know, though, anyone who's life (or wallet) has been improved by it, though.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(12-06-2016, 07:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't care what comes after it. I just know "it won't cost you a dime more" and "you can keep your plan, keep your doctor" was two of the biggest piles of BS told. I don't know anyone who has been positively affected by the ACA.

I know people who are paying significantly more, I know people who are avoiding going to the doctor because they can't afford the new deductibles, I know people who got the hours at their job cut so they were below the ACA part time limit, I know people who were negatively effected by the extra taxes on the medical goods they sold for a living, I know people who have been crushed by medication prices since the ACA passed, I know people who are 100% healthy who are still being forced to pay into a program they don't need, I know people who had to go to a shittier dentist because their dentist wasn't covered anymore under their plan, and I know people who have been kicked off their spouse's work because of the rise in costs meaning the work refused to cover their spouse if the spouse could get health care through their work (even if it was worse or more expensive).

I don't know, though, anyone who's life (or wallet) has been improved by it, though.

I know of several people who are now covered by insurance that were unable to get coverage before due to pre-existing conditions and people that have been able to keep dependents covered longer that have been happy about it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(12-06-2016, 07:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I know of several people who are now covered by insurance that were unable to get coverage before due to pre-existing conditions and people that have been able to keep dependents covered longer that have been happy about it.

I also know people benefiting from it, but I don't expect that sort of thing to hold a candle to the popularity of lying about having a solid gold alternative.  I actually wonder if "Appealing Trumpcare" will be a big selling point in elections to come.

Anyways, as someone else said the GOP has been telling us Obamacare is absolutely terrible and (hopefully) planning for 6 whole years on an alternative.  Having 6 years to plan an alternative to something that is completely awful?  This should be a slam dunk, right? This would be like having 6 years to come up with a better starting QB than Ryan Leaf, right?