Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
70 million dollars wasted
(09-19-2022, 11:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's not a simple debate. If 1 of the players suck its a simple debate.

With Sewell...I doubt we go to the SB last year.

But what about this year, and next, and next, and next. Sustainable success.

vs. Last year and..... blowing the whole thing up in 3 years (Folks already calling for changes to the coaching staff).

I'll still argue Burrow before he got Carr'd would have made any receiver a star if he was protected. We wouldn't need an elite receiver.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's not a simple debate. If 1 of the players suck its a simple debate.

With Sewell...I doubt we go to the SB last year.

This debate should have died last season, however we have no idea what happens in the rest of the draft if they go with Sewell. What happens if they get Armon Ra in round 4 instead of say Smith at tackle? The whole draft plays out different and who knows where it goes.

Doesn't matter, what's done is done.

The team went out this offseason and invested heavily on the OL and tried to fix the issue yet they still have an issue. So now, you have to start trying to find the other reasons this team is failing to get results. Coaching is certainly the top of the list.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:48 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This debate should have died last season, however we have no idea what happens in the rest of the draft if they go with Sewell. What happens if they get Armon Ra in round 4 instead of say Smith at tackle? The whole draft plays out different and who knows where it goes.

Doesn't matter, what's done is done.

The team went out this offseason and invested heavily on the OL and tried to fix the issue yet they still have an issue. So now, you have to start trying to find the other reasons this team is failing to get results. Coaching is certainly the top of the list.

There's no wr with Chases impact in late rounds.

Without Chase we likely have a plodding offense that lacks big plays and can't score.
Reply/Quote
An elite receiver is more valuable than an individual lineman. Sewell is turning into a fantastic player, but Chase has had a bigger impact thus far. This is coming from an Oregon fan who was pounding the table for Sewell.

Chase was the correct pick.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:39 PM)jj22 Wrote: But what about this year, and next, and next, and next. Sustainable success.

vs. Last year and..... blowing the whole thing up in 3 years (Folks already calling for changes to the coaching staff).

I'll still argue Burrow before he got Carr'd would have made any receiver a star if he was protected. We wouldn't need an elite receiver.

We weren't 1 ol away last year. We were 3-4.

Reiff was fine until injured. Guard and C were the issues...until Reiff got hurt.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's no wr with Chases impact in late rounds.

Without Chase we likely have a plodding offense that lacks big plays and can't score.

Again, look at Armon-Ra St Brown. He finished his rookie season with 90 receptions for 912 receiving yards and 5 receiving touchdowns to go along with 61 rushing yards and 1 rushing touchdown with Jared Goff under center.

This year, 17 for 180 and 3 TDs. Kid is good, and if Burrow is as good as everyone talks about, he'd make an above average guy catching balls from Goff look elite. Look no further then Green Bay, or Kansas City. They lose Hill and Adams and don't replace them yet one team is 2-0 the other 1-1. Great QB's elevate the talent around them when protected.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 12:04 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Again, look at Armon-Ra St Brown. He finished his rookie season with 90 receptions for 912 receiving yards and 5 receiving touchdowns to go along with 61 rushing yards and 1 rushing touchdown with Jared Goff under center.

This year, 17 for 180 and 3 TDs. Kid is good, and if Burrow is as good as everyone talks about, he'd make an above average guy catching balls from Goff look elite. Look no further then Green Bay, or Kansas City. They lose Hill and Adams and don't replace them yet one team is 2-0 the other 1-1. Great QB's elevate the talent around them when protected.

Burrow did that with Uzomah last year

single handedly got the man PAID
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 11:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: Those teams you mentioned shored up their Olines first.... Rams should be a painful reminder (what were they before Big Whitt showed up) since you brought them up.

You build for the inside out isn't as outdated as you may hope given the Chase selection.

No they didn’t. At least not Miami. They had one of the worst OL’s in the league the last couple years, and still took Waddle in the 1st round over guys like Sewell and Slater. That’s why they had to bring in Armstead in FA this past offseason.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 04:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No they didn’t. At least not Miami. They had one of the worst OL’s in the league the last couple years, and still took Waddle in the 1st round over guys like Sewell and Slater. That’s why they had to bring in Armstead in FA this past offseason.

You mean when they had Karras? Miami's line was not as bad as ours. Not by a long shot. They needed an OT, but their LT was still better than any tackle we have. They were not needing 4 new lineman when they took Waddle.

Miami's record has been far better then people give them credit for the last 3 years. Tua's winning percentage specifically. They have been a good team with sustained success.

Fake News has made Tua out to be some bum, they made Flores out to be a failed coach. But Tua's winning percentage is best out of the draft class, and Flores wasn't nearly as bad as they made him out to be. Everyone said Miami was built right. They are a perfect example of why 1 year of success shouldn't be the goal but sustained success even if it takes an extra year should be.

Miami's time has come. It looks sustainable.

Reply/Quote
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/20/ted-karras-our-line-has-to-earn-joe-burrows-trust/

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:53 AM)jj22 Wrote: Miami's line was not as bad as ours. Not by a long shot. They needed an OT, but their LT was still better than any tackle we have. They were not needing 4 new lineman when they took Waddle.

This is just patently false. They were ranked dead last in 2021.

32. MIAMI DOLPHINS (NO CHANGE)

LT Liam Eichenberg | 50.7
LG Austin Jackson | 49.9
C Michael Deiter | 60.6
RG Robert Hunt | 67.4
RT Jesse Davis | 52.5

Miami’s offensive line surrendered a league-leading 235 pressures this season and recorded the worst pass-blocking efficiency score in the NFL. The unit did this despite being well protected by a quarterback getting rid of the ball quickly and by the team running the third-most RPOs in the league. The offensive line was run blocking on almost one out of every five passing plays, removing the chance of being exposed in pass protection. Miami gambled that their young players would develop this season and the line would improve, but that unquestionably backfired.

And I mentioned their LT that you’re talking about (Armstead). They just acquired him this past offseason in free agency.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2022, 08:58 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Seriously, just sign 5 guys from this forum to play on the o-line. They'll perform just as well as the real thing, save so much cap... It'd be hilarious to watch too. I say we poll it and see which 5 of us we'd all most like to see get embarrassed on an NFL field every Sunday.

LMAO, I wouldn't make it one play.... I'd be getting MURDERED on here! Hilarious

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 12:28 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Drew Brees
Kirk Cousins

Off the top of my head. Probably a couple more but I doubt there is a ton more.

I think franchise QBs largely stay out of FA because if they aren't going to stay with their current team, the teams trade them. Franchise QBs are too valuable to let them leave for zero compensation.

I also think "prime" is very subjective for QBs. They aren't like other positions where their legs die on them and it's over. Plenty of them actually get even better in their 30s.

I doubt the Chargers draft Rivers if Brees never tears his shoulder up. That was kind of an outlier.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Hate to say it, but 70 million bucks is why I don't blow money on football..  I don't make anywhere NEAR that kind of money and even if i did it still wouldn't go to the likes of the Brown and Blackburn family..  If it makes you all feel better if I ever stumble across a few bazillion bucks I'll buy the team and you can blame every damned bad thing that ever happens with the team on me.. I have thick skin..  Mellow And I'll rename the stadium to TheBengalsBoard Colosseum and you can all have deluxe heated seats on the 50 yardline with deluxe cup holders at a 5% discount..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 12:35 PM)grampahol Wrote: Hate to say it, but 70 million bucks is why I don't blow money on football..  I don't make anywhere NEAR that kind of money and even if i did it still wouldn't go to the likes of the Brown and Blackburn family..  If it makes you all feel better if I ever stumble across a few bazillion bucks I'll buy the team and you can blame every damned bad thing that ever happens with the team on me.. I have thick skin..  Mellow And I'll rename the stadium to TheBengalsBoard Colosseum and you can all have deluxe heated seats on the 50 yardline with deluxe cup holders at a 5% discount..

As I've said before, if I get a zillion bucks I'm making my own football league called the "What Everyone Apparently Wants For Some Reason Football League" or the WEAWFSRFL for short.  The rules are as follows:

1. every team MUST fire their HC after a loss
2. every team MUST have a starting QB and a backup QB but MUST start the backup QB
3. if the backup QB is starting the starting QB must be traded and a new backup QB brought in who MUST play because teams already know what they have in the starter and they should see what we have in the kid on the bench
4. despite all this QB crap I just mentioned, teams MUST run the ball 90% of the time because THAT'S HOW FOOBAWWW IS WON
5. NO showboating or celebrating, we want team-focused players, not glory hog attention seekers who want to be on TikTok
6. NO stupid flags for celebrating because geez come on, let the guys have some fun
7. Players MUST taunt after a tackle, because that's what NFL players did back in the day
8. All head trauma will be ignored and anything short of decapitation will be referred to as "Gettin your bell rung"
9 Any team under .500 MUST immediately start tanking for the next big QB
10. All teams MUST give up on the next big QB as soon as he goes under .500
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:25 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: We got manhandled pretty good on the line. Hopefully they can gel. 7 sacks. Damn it man.
Joe was jittery and hesitant. Never seemed comfortable.

He's gone sooner or later. The only reason he may not demand a trade at the end of this season would be his stubbornness and refusal to "give up". Dude is a fighter. For better or for worse...

For the sake of his career, he needs to play somewhere else. He's just too special. I'm sorry to say that, especially since he and Chase are such a great story, but I care about Burrow, that being said, even though I also care about the Bengals, this is precisely what everyone was afraid of when he got drafted. He won't last another 3 years behind this line. Granted, some of it is on him, but you have to think he doesn't trust the O Line even though he would never say that.

Bengals were such a feel good story last year. I wouldn't consider myself a "Bengals fan" as much as a Burrow/Chase fan, but I've screamed just as loud during Bengals games as I do during Saints games. It's a shame. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 12:59 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: He's gone sooner or later. The only reason he may not demand a trade at the end of this season would be his stubbornness and refusal to "give up". Dude is a fighter. For better or for worse...

For the sake of his career, he needs to play somewhere else. He's just too special. I'm sorry to say that, especially since he and Chase are such a great story, but I care about Burrow, that being said, even though I also care about the Bengals, this is precisely what everyone was afraid of when he got drafted. He won't last another 3 years behind this line. Granted, some of it is on him, but you have to think he doesn't trust the O Line even though he would never say that.

Bengals were such a feel good story last year. I wouldn't consider myself a "Bengals fan" as much as a Burrow/Chase fan, but I've screamed just as loud during Bengals games as I do during Saints games. It's a shame. 

I wonder if Joe will get to the Palmer situation of New Coach or Trade me.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 12:59 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: He's gone sooner or later. The only reason he may not demand a trade at the end of this season would be his stubbornness and refusal to "give up". Dude is a fighter. For better or for worse...

Please go away. This section of the board if for Bengals fans, not Joe Burrow fans. You’ve been told this before.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 12:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: As I've said before, if I get a zillion bucks I'm making my own football league called the "What Everyone Apparently Wants For Some Reason Football League" or the WEAWFSRFL for short.  The rules are as follows:

1. every team MUST fire their HC after a loss
2. every team MUST have a starting QB and a backup QB but MUST start the backup QB
3. if the backup QB is starting the starting QB must be traded and a new backup QB brought in who MUST play because teams already know what they have in the starter and they should see what we have in the kid on the bench
4. despite all this QB crap I just mentioned, teams MUST run the ball 90% of the time because THAT'S HOW FOOBAWWW IS WON
5. NO showboating or celebrating, we want team-focused players, not glory hog attention seekers who want to be on TikTok
6. NO stupid flags for celebrating because geez come on, let the guys have some fun
7. Players MUST taunt after a tackle, because that's what NFL players did back in the day
8. All head trauma will be ignored and anything short of decapitation will be referred to as "Gettin your bell rung"
9 Any team under .500 MUST immediately start tanking for the next big QB
10. All teams MUST give up on the next big QB as soon as he goes under .500

I get what you're saying, but Zac Taylor isn't a great coach, I'd been saying that all last season. Yeah, he got to the Super Bowl. So did Barry Switzer, Jon Gruden, Mike Ditka, etc.. sometimes people get the right team at the right time. 

Burrow is no stranger to making coaches look good. I get that NFL and college are different animals, but just look at what happened to LSU's coaching staff when they left for other jobs after Burrow was gone. All, except Dave Aranda, were fired within 2 seasons (in Brady's case, half a season). Burrow made them all look like geniuses. I just don't think it's as easy to do that at the pro level. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 01:02 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I wonder if Joe will get to the Palmer situation of New Coach or Trade me.

It's definitely not in his nature, but everyone has their limits. I mean he's already had a major injury and he's only played one full season in the NFL. The dude could be a top 3 QB in the NFL for years to come, but the way things look on the Bengals, his talent is going to be wasted for the foreseeable future. I mean, how much longer do you think he can take a beating like this all season? I also think Zac Taylor is a mediocre to bad coach, but I don't put all of it on Taylor. 

I'm still hoping something clicks. As an LSU fan and now a Bengals fan (I would pull for y'all over the Saints, and that's sacrilege), it was the most FEEL GOOD story of my football watching days. For these guys to turn it around for the Bengals would be the best. I just don't know if it's going to happen.
Reply/Quote