Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
7th Round Welcome Jeffrey Gunter
https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player-news?page=2

"Bengals selected Coastal Carolina EDGE Jeffrey with the No. 252 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.  

Gunter (6'4, 258) is a two-time All-Sun Belt first-teamer who was invited to the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl and East-West Shrine Bowl. 2020 was arguably his best season as he finished with a career-high 6.5 sacks and six forced fumbles. His relative athletic score makes him an exciting prospect, running an elite 4.7 40 with a 35.5-inch vertical and a 2.7 20-yard split. For context, his elite RAS of 9.73 was just ahead of Kayvon Thibodeaux. As a pass rusher, he has an impressive stab-and-swipe move, and his ability to burst through the line helped him get to the quarterback at the collegiate level. His lack of strength stops him when he's cinched up, and he doesn't have the chopping skills to counter an offensive lineman's punching hands. He'll need to gain some strength if he wants to make it at the next level, but his athleticism gives him a chance to be a value pick for Cincy."
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Love it. Great value pick in the seventh when I had him going in the fifth at the latest.

He needs some work but I think this kid could do some damage for us!
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 08:12 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player-news?page=2

"Bengals selected Coastal Carolina EDGE Jeffrey with the No. 252 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.  

Gunter (6'4, 258) is a two-time All-Sun Belt first-teamer who was invited to the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl and East-West Shrine Bowl. 2020 was arguably his best season as he finished with a career-high 6.5 sacks and six forced fumbles. His relative athletic score makes him an exciting prospect, running an elite 4.7 40 with a 35.5-inch vertical and a 2.7 20-yard split. For context, his elite RAS of 9.73 was just ahead of Kayvon Thibodeaux. As a pass rusher, he has an impressive stab-and-swipe move, and his ability to burst through the line helped him get to the quarterback at the collegiate level. His lack of strength stops him when he's cinched up, and he doesn't have the chopping skills to counter an offensive lineman's punching hands. He'll need to gain some strength if he wants to make it at the next level, but his athleticism gives him a chance to be a value pick for Cincy."

(04-30-2022, 08:12 PM)pally Wrote:

Really like this guy's size and hands. Needs to gain some strength in the weight room but he has everything else.

As shown, very athletic with great hands and moves. Crazy he fell to the 7th, our End rotation is deep and I think Cam Sample 
will fill in wherever we need him same with Zach Carter who will be our pass rushing 3-tech behind BJ Hill.

We may have upgraded our DL big time with these selections. Ossai and Hubert coming back should be gravy.

With Hendrickson, Reader, Hubbard, Ossai, BJ Hill, Zach Carter, Cam Sample, Tupou, Tyler Shelvin, Khalid Kareem, Wyatt Hubert
and Jeffrey Gunter we can stop the run and rush the passer with the best of them now.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 08:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Really like this guy's size and hands. Needs to gain some strength in the weight room but he has everything else.

As shown, very athletic with great hands and moves. Crazy he fell to the 7th, our End rotation is deep and I think Cam Sample 
will fill in wherever we need him same with Zach Carter who will be our pass rushing 3-tech behind BJ Hill.

We may have upgraded our DL big time with these selections. Ossai and Hubert coming back should be gravy.

With Hendrickson, Reader, Hubbard, Ossai, BJ Hill, Zach Carter, Cam Sample, Tupou, Tyler Shelvin, Khalid Kareem, Wyatt Hubert
and Jeffrey Gunter we can stop the run and rush the passer with the best of them now.

He def needs to get stronger in the lower body and core. He put up 30 reps of 225.
Reply/Quote
Interesting how heavily defense we went.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 08:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting how heavily defense we went.

Yes, was expecting at least a WR or a TE in this Draft. But hey, maybe something is still in the cards.

Still need a 4th WR that can step in in case of injury. Love the guys we got but the trade ups took away 2 picks.

Love the picks though. CTB and Tycen Anderson could be future stars. CTB is a ballhawk and Tycen's length and speed are insane.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 08:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting how heavily defense we went.

We did go very offensive in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 08:23 PM)pulses Wrote: He def needs to get stronger in the lower body and core. He put up 28 reps of 225.

This can be worked on. Gunter is a natural with his hands, athleticism and bend. Some edge rushers just don't have these things 
and get washed out of the League. Happens all the time. You can work on your strength, but man do you really have to work to 
improve your hands, athleticism and bend. Most cannot ever work enough to improve these things enough to remain in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 08:41 PM)M.W. Wrote: We did go very offensive in free agency.

True, just need depth at WR honestly is my only thought.

We might be looking at extending Hurst at TE as he is only on a 1 year deal.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 08:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This can be worked on. Gunter is a natural with his hands, athleticism and bend. Some edge rushers just don't have these things 
and get washed out of the League. Happens all the time. You can work on your strength, but man do you really have to work to 
improve your hands, athleticism and bend. Most cannot ever work enough to improve these things enough to remain in the NFL.
Yeah we def might have gotten a gem there with him.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 08:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, just need depth at WR honestly is my only thought.

Or we get thru the year with Hayden and then draft TE next year in round 1 or 2.

Wrs are so easy to get in FA. I get not drafting one
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 08:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting how heavily defense we went.

I guess they’re really trying to stock up on defense now so they can devote all their money to paying Tee and Burrow in a couple years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
This was a really deep edge rusher class and I thinks it’s the reason we got him. In a normal year I don’t think an edge rusher with his physical traits and testing numbers stays on the board as long as he did.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 08:12 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player-news?page=2

Not gonna lie…..i do not like when a lineman’s main con is lack of strength. Not like you can coach that. You draft this guy in the hopes that he perfects 1 or 2 moves and gets really really good at those moves. So good that it makes him playable on 3rd downs where your main guys are tired
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:42 PM)Stewy Wrote: What are you talking about?  Ever heard of a weight room?  His arms are super strong.....he just needs more time spent on "leg day"

Are there notable players that weren’t naturally strong but became that in the league and succeeded? I feel like some things you’ve just got to have at birth.
-Housh
Reply/Quote

I didn't think it helped that they basically got rid of two of their Day 3 picks.
Those could have been invaluable in adding depth.

There's still a few depth holes to be filled that I won't feel comfortable with a UDFA.

WR4 is probably the biggest.
Irwin, Morgan, and Thomas are bad on offense.
Luckily, Bengals have enough cap space to still go get a few cheap veterans, and there are quite a few solid veteran WRs available still.

I'd be a big fan of Bengals snagging up Dede Westbrook.
Dude is only 28 years old, so he should still have a few good years left.
He's been an accomplished WR2/3 with JAX in the past, and he's done 69 punt returns with 1 TD. His best year as a PR was 2018 when he averaged 14.0 YPR.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Check out this 3 minute video of Gunter vs Zach Wilson. Gunter definitely bring some competitiveness, I thought the commentary was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqVsUtXYxVg
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 08:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, just need depth at WR honestly is my only thought.

I heard this from some friends before the draft. i see it differently. WR Depth of Trent Taylor, Trenton Irwin, Mike Thomas, & Stanly Morgan is EXCELLENT and young in my opinion. If a young buck UDFA can come unseat one of them, great.... But, honestly, that is a good enough 4,5,6,7 to me.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 06:04 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I heard this from some friends before the draft. i see it differently. WR Depth of Trent Taylor, Trenton Irwin, Mike Thomas, & Stanly Morgan is EXCELLENT and young in my opinion. If a young buck UDFA can come unseat one of them, great.... But, honestly, that is a good enough 4,5,6,7 to me.

I think (hope) your joking. In football terms they are not
Young, and the production is atrocious. Also to note, if chase goes down, we have ZERO speed on offense.

Trent Taylor (28) 5th round pick in 2017 - 772 career yards. 4.6 forty

Trenton Irwin (26) Undrafted in 2019 - 30 career yards.

Mike Thomas (27) 6th round pick in 2016 - 328 career yards. 4.54 forty

Stanley Morgan (25) undrafted in 2019 - 29 career yards. 4.5 forty
Reply/Quote