Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
95% chance Marvin returns as Head Coach - just has to get back on "same page" as Mike
(01-02-2018, 12:41 PM)Takedown Wrote: Surprise surprise. Time for all of those "If ML returns I'm done/I'm going to root for another team if ML is back" fans to hit the road. Not being a jerk, but I was wondering what everyone thought was so different about this season than the last 15. He's back. It's like a bad horror movie. Predictable and too many sequels.

I'm merely waiting for it to be official, just in the event that MB develops a spine and a brain.  Once it is officially announced, you will never see me again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 02:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The subject of head coaching is a really hot topic at the moment, and seems extremely pertinent to the overall football discussion. I agree that the threads can get redundant at times, but there is a subforum to house them for now.

Unfortunately, it's been a "hot topic" for about 8 weeks now and now that it is extremely pertinent to football conversation it just seems like too much of the boy crying wolf. It is sad that it needs its own subforum as it is an issue worth of earnest discussion and subforums often get overlooked.

I do appreciate the civil response. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 02:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Unfortunately, it's been a "hot topic" for about 8 weeks now and now that it is extremely pertinent to football conversation it just seems like too much of the boy crying wolf. It is sad that it needs its own subforum as it is an issue worth of earnest discussion and subforums often get overlooked.

I do appreciate the civil response. 

It is THE topic of conversation because it affects every other topic.   Until the topic is settled, everything else is just background, just flailing in the dark.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 02:15 PM)McC Wrote: It is THE topic of conversation because it affects every other topic.   Until the topic is settled, everything else is just background, just flailing in the dark.

Sure it is THE topic now, but do you agree that it has been THE topic far too long? My point was simple: I am ready for Marvin to leave so we can talk football, because if he stays it will be THE topic all off season and plus this place will be very lonely as about 95% of the posters here say they will be done with the Bengals if Marvin returns. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 01:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We may not have an algorithm, but we did create a "coaching news" sub-forum and a "report a post" feature to alert mods to COC violations and misplaced threads. 

That way people don't have to whine about whining, which contributes to the boards even less than misplaced threads.

Unfortunately, the mods aren't ubiquitous...hence the report feature. Please use it. ThumbsUp

Speaking of the report feature, I think I've only ever used that one time since being a member, and it was when someone was constantly attacking me as a person over a Joe Mixon debate last offseason. I'm not usually irritated by people's posts apparently.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 02:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure it is THE topic now, but do you agree that it has been THE topic far too long? My point was simple: I am ready for Marvin to leave so we can talk football, because if he stays it will be THE topic all off season and plus this place will be very lonely as about 95% of the posters here say they will be done with the Bengals if Marvin returns. 

I don't know what you expect. It's January 2nd after a losing season. The subject of Marvin Lewis is clearly going to be heavy on the minds of Bengals fans, as it has all season...due to the losing and lame-duck status. It's just been building to a crescendo. Just because you don't want to talk about it doesn't mean the majority feels the same. We made a subforum so JN doesn't get clogged with Marvin related topics. Not sure what else it is you want.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 02:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure it is THE topic now, but do you agree that it has been THE topic far too long? My point was simple: I am ready for Marvin to leave so we can talk football, because if he stays it will be THE topic all off season and plus this place will be very lonely as about 95% of the posters here say they will be done with the Bengals if Marvin returns. 

I think the offseason chatter would shift to the Draft and what Marvin will do with his "New Power".

The Draft will bring people back to the Board, especially after round 1.

P.S.  I was away from the Board for a few days and didn't notice this Head Coach Discussion area. To me it looked like few people were talking about Marvin on Jungle Noise. I thought I had a Mini Scoop based on what Marvin had said but others were already talking about it elsewhere. Looking like he's coming back so we will get to see which Posters really Boycott and who gets sucked back in around Draft time.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 02:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Speaking of the report feature, I think I've only ever used that one time since being a member, and it was when someone was constantly attacking me as a person over a Joe Mixon debate last offseason. I'm not usually irritated by people's posts apparently.

Well you're not alone. Seriously, hardly anyone touches the thing. It'd really help us out if people did. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
When I say boycott that means $ spent for their products & tickets/stadium attendance.

Doesn't cost anything to post here or watch on TV.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 01:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not saying I believe Marvin Lewis either, but you left out some key words from that statement..."in my power."
If the rumors are true, Marvin wants more control and the org very well could be handcuffed due to how much Mike Brown likes to have his control and not change things.
In fact, many believe that a new coach would have less power than Marvin has had, so the results might be worse.
Mike Brown does want to win a championship, but he wants to do it on his terms. Being an owner comes with some arrogance and confidence that you know and have what it takes to be successful even when your customers might disagree with you.

It's feeling more and more like this is more on Marvin's terms of whether he wants to stay because he wants/needs a certain level of control to achieve the next level of success.
And maybe he actually will succeed with more control, but I don't there there's much confidence at all from this fanbase that he would actually achieve it.
I understand what you are saying and agree mostly. Where we differ is, I don't believe MB tells ML what scheme to run or anything that happens on the field. Sure he might have handcuff ML with PA, but I would think the HC would have a say in what way he wants the line to block? Pre-Zimmer as our DC, Lewis always employed the defense to not give up the big play and let the offense take anything underneath, Zimmer wanted no part of that and played aggressive. After Zimmer we went right back to Marvin's old scheme and we were terrible on D. So I guess my point is this, does ML want more control of draft picks and FA pickups to play in his crappy and outdated schemes or is he going to finally realize his schemes are crappy or outdated??
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:43 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Lol the fact that a coach with back to back losing seasons and an 0-7 playoff record with an expired contract is making demands about the team going forward is mind blowing.

Exactly! It's pretty pathetic.
Reply/Quote
If Marv is back i am definately taking a hiatus.

This team will NEVER win a playoff game with him at the helm and he has just gotten worse of a coach over the last
few years. He doesn't learn from his mistakes, he sabotages his own team with his ineptness.

I am done for awhile. **** this shit. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 02:49 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I understand what you are saying and agree mostly. Where we differ is, I don't believe MB tells ML what scheme to run or anything that happens on the field. Sure he might have handcuff ML with PA, but I would think the HC would have a say in what way he wants the line to block? Pre-Zimmer as our DC, Lewis always employed the defense to not give up the big play and let the offense take anything underneath, Zimmer wanted no part of that and played aggressive. After Zimmer we went right back to Marvin's old scheme and we were terrible on D. So I guess my point is this, does ML want more control of draft picks and FA pickups to play in his crappy and outdated schemes or is he going to finally realize his schemes are crappy or outdated??

I agree with this and if my previous statement implied otherwise, I apologize.
I think where the control comes in is roster and assistant coach decisions.
I think we can all agree that there have been some head scratcher decisions when it came to player and coaching personnel.
With that said, it's Marvin's responsibility at that point to work with what he's been given.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 03:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree with this and if my previous statement implied otherwise, I apologize.
I think where the control comes in is roster and assistant coach decisions.
I think we can all agree that there have been some head scratcher decisions when it came to player and coaching personnel.
With that said, it's Marvin's responsibility at that point to work with what he's been given.

Yeah and he sucks at it.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 03:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah and he sucks at it.

I agree, which is why I started my original statement with...
Quote:Not saying I believe Marvin Lewis either

My point was simply that there may be some truth that a coach needs more control to compete for the Super Bowl than Mike Brown is willing to give.
Do I think that Marvin Lewis could get the Bengals to the Super Bowl if given more control? No.
But if a new HC is brought in (or promoted), they might end up with the same mediocre performance as Marvin has had because they need more control on personnel decisions.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 03:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree, which is why I started my original statement with...

My point was simply that there may be some truth that a coach needs more control to compete for the Super Bowl than Mike Brown is willing to give.
Do I think that Marvin Lewis could get the Bengals to the Super Bowl if given more control? No.
But if a new HC is brought in (or promoted), they might end up with the same mediocre performance as Marvin has had because they need more control on personnel decisions.

Marvin has been given enough talent to win a playoff game more than once and couldn't do it.  He could have had the Niners of the 80's and been a one and done year after year.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 03:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree, which is why I started my original statement with...

I would bet about anyone would do better than Marv even if they had less control.

That is how bad of a HC Marvin Lewis is, and he has just gotten worse.

I would take Simmons, Paulie G, Lazor or even Urban over Marvin.

For him to stick his nose in the Offensive playcalling is beyond stupid.

Just stick to what you know. Is this too much to ask? The results are written in stone.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 12:26 PM)depthchart Wrote: * With Hue Jackson and Jay Gruden likely not available, Marvin being only 59 years old, with a home in Cincinnati, the ability to keep earning nice paychecks, another chance to win a playoff game to improve his legacy, more roster control if an aging Mike allows it, plus what Lewis has said below: I think the chances are 95% that Marvin returns as Head Coach.

Bengals' coach Marvin Lewis still unsure of future with team   -   (below from Article)

He said Monday that he's not sure he'll be back. He and Mike Brown had a general discussion about the team's future.

"If his direction is different than my direction, it's probably not good," Lewis said. "So we just have to make sure we're all on the same page."

Lewis said on Monday that the organization has to do a better job of building a team that can win the AFC North. During his 15 seasons in Cincinnati, he's lobbied for more sway over the makeup of the roster.

"We have to build better," Lewis said. "We've got to build a team that can win in this division, and we're not there obviously. So that's the first step."

The front office decided to go with a youth movement this season, giving Lewis one of his least-experienced teams.

Lewis said he's unsure how long it will take to decide whether he stays or looks for a coaching job somewhere else.

Asked what he would say to fans, Lewis said, "Well, I think if you're a real fan then you stay the course and understand we're not happy with what transpired this season and we're going to do everything — if I'm here, I'm going to do everything in my power to get us to be world champions."

I think if you’re a real fan you realize that giggles thinks he’s smarter than everybody else. You also realize the idea that he may not be smarter than everyone else has never crossed his mind. You also know he clearly isn’t or he’d have 5 super bowl rings like another HC who is smarter than everyone else. 

Instead he’s convinced our geriatric owner/GM that he just needs a 16th chance to prove how he’s always right and EVERYONE including fans and media have been wrong this whole time. He’s about to show us lol
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2018, 03:40 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I think if you’re a real fan you realize that giggles thinks he’s smarter than everybody else. You also realize the idea that he may not be smarter than everyone else has never crossed his mind. You also know he clearly isn’t or he’d have 5 super bowl rings like another HC who is smarter than everyone else. 

Instead he’s convinced our geriatric owner/GM that he just needs a 16th chance to prove how he’s always right and EVERYONE including fans and media have been wrong this whole time. He’s about to show us lol

Yeah, dude is baffled by his own brilliance.
Reply/Quote
A lot of tension in here today?

Reply/Quote