Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
9th Circuit states no right to carry concealed
http://www.wsj.com/articles/appeals-court-upholds-concealed-carry-restrictions-1465483920

Quote:Americans have no Second Amendment right to carry concealed guns in public, a federal appeals court in California ruled on Thursday in a significant blow to gun-rights activists and gun owners in a large swath of the Western U.S.

The San Francisco-based Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, in a 7-4 ruling, upheld a California law requiring residents to show “good cause” for carrying a concealed handgun.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
In before fireworks....
Let's just criminalize firearms, so we can get the war over with.
(06-09-2016, 03:49 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Let's just criminalize firearms, so we can get the war over with.

Actually this reaffirms (really more so uses the precedent) a 1890 supreme court ruling that concealed carry in public is not a protected right under the 2nd amendment.
(06-09-2016, 03:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: Actually this reaffirms (really more so uses the precedent) a 1890 supreme court ruling that concealed carry in public is not a protected right under the 2nd amendment.

basically saying you have the right to guns, just not to walk around with said guns, right?
People suck
(06-09-2016, 03:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: Actually this reaffirms (really more so uses the precedent) a 1890 supreme court ruling that concealed carry in public is not a protected right under the 2nd amendment.

I guess my biggest issue is that in Ohio, Open Carry is legal and I see douchebags making people nervous in public, with sidearms.
Concealed carry just seems more practical and safe.

I was under the impression that was the case as well.

Also, if anyone comes across a better link, feel free to share as I know sometimes WSJ will make you pay.

Edit: Here we go, Bloomberg's article on it: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-09/california-s-strict-concealed-gun-rules-restored-by-court

I came across the story early and couldn't find many sources.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-09-2016, 03:53 PM)Griever Wrote: basically saying you have the right to guns, just not to walk around with said guns, right?

Yep, you have the right to posses them and use them to protect your domicile. That is what is protected dating back to the 1890 supreme court ruling.
This will stop how many criminals from concealed carry?

"I was gonna go rob that liquor store, but now I can't; because I can't carry my pistol covered up in my waistband."

Way to go Cali
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
By the way this has been the same outcome in courts across the country, but for some reason this one seems to be getting more coverage since it is in CA.
(06-09-2016, 03:53 PM)Griever Wrote: basically saying you have the right to guns, just not to walk around with said guns, right?

Eh, more like  'you have the right to carry a gun, you've just got to keep it visible so other people know you're packing.'

I'm pro-Second but I don't have any problem with that. I'm not a big fan of people walking around with guns on their hips, but I can see where a municipality or state might have a bigger issue with concealed carry as opposed to show 'em if you've got 'em.
Open carry is more of a problem than concealed because the uneducated gun population gets all bent out of shape.

For me it doesn't matter either concealed or open..... But concealed keeps the uneducated people calm.
(06-09-2016, 04:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This will stop how many criminals from concealed carry?

"I was gonna go rob that liquor store, but now I can't; because I can't carry my pistol covered up in my waistband."

Way to go Cali

you mean like 

"i was gonna go assault that girl in the bathroom, but im not allowed since im not a woman"
People suck
(06-09-2016, 04:32 PM)Griever Wrote: you mean like 

"i was gonna go assault that girl in the bathroom, but im not allowed since im not a woman"

Yep, same thing. Folks are going to break the law and laws affect the actions of those willing to abide by them. Not sure the point you were trying to make. 

(06-09-2016, 04:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yep, same thing. Folks are going to break the law. Not sure the point you were trying to make. 

that people will break the law no matter what laws on the books

so trivial laws like a bathroom law wont matter, because criminals will criminal

and in this case, criminals will still conceal guns
People suck
The argument that laws will be broken so there is no reason to have laws is stupid and normally only rolled out when you disagree with the law at hand. Simply put murder is illegal, but murders happen, no one is running around saying murder should be legal since murderers are going to murder no matter what. If the argument is good for one law it is good for all laws because all laws are broken that is why their are punishments to try and deter them from being broken.
(06-09-2016, 04:40 PM)Au165 Wrote: The argument that laws will be broken so there is no reason to have laws is stupid and normally only rolled out when you disagree with the law at hand. Simply put murder is illegal, but murders happen, no one is running around saying murder should be legal since murderers are going to murder no matter what. If the argument is good for one law it is good for all laws because all laws are broken that is why their are punishments to try and deter them from being broken.

Exactly. 

(06-09-2016, 04:37 PM)Griever Wrote: that people will break the law no matter what laws on the books

so trivial laws like a bathroom law wont matter, because criminals will criminal

and in this case, criminals will still conceal guns

We agree.

(06-09-2016, 04:30 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Open carry is more of a problem than concealed because the uneducated gun population gets all bent out of shape.    

For me it doesn't matter either concealed or open.....  But concealed keeps the uneducated people calm.

Not sure how that matters. As a gun owner, I don't really care how the guy next to me feels about it. Sure, as a human being I do, but just speaking as a gun owner, no.

But fun anecdotal concealed carry problem, we've got a deputy here who has shot at least two people trying to unholster his gun from a concealed holster. If I remember right, the first time was a fellow law enforcement officer (the deputy had come on scene in plain clothes) and the second time was several years later, he shot his mother at a wedding trying to remove the gun from an ankle holster.

There's also less fun stories, like the mom who got shot in a grocery store by a toddler playing in her purse.
I've been contemplating buying a pistol this summer. Now I definitely am, and I'm going to get a concealed carry permit too.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]