A Bunch of Reasons We Can Win a Playoff Game (or two) with AJ McCarron
Backup QB's Who Have Won Playoff Games:

- Franck Reich
- Jeff Hostetler
- Trent Dilfer
- TJ Yates
- Mike Tomczak
- Tommy Maddox

A Couple More Backup QB's, Who Not Only Won Playoff Games, But Became Legitimate Stars:

- Tom Brady
- Kurt Warner

Absolute Turd Sandwiches Who Have Also Won Playoff Games:

- Mark Sanchez
- Early Joe Flacco
- Rob Johnson
- Rex Grossman
- Tim Tebow
- Rodney Pete
- Jay Schroeder

And these are just a collection of backups, scrubs and noodle arms that I came up with off the top of my head.  I'm sure there's a lot, lot more.  And if we were to include any and all NFL games, then the list would be almost endless.  We could have a discussion of how teams win with the Ryan Lindley's and Matt Flynn's of the world, all of the time in this league.

The fact is AJ McCarron is currently sitting on a 95 QB rating.  The fact is teams have won with worse.  The fact is we'll be playing at home.  And the fact is, if this team is anywhere near the caliber many of us think they are, there should be absolutely no reason why they can't go out there and bring home a W against the Jets or the Steelers.

It's all right there for the taking.  Having a guy who has two full regular seasons under his belt in the same scheme, who now has a number of starts, who also happens to be a two time National Champion, who is sporting a 90+ rating if far from being at a tremendous disadvantage.  Hell, against the Jets you could probably make the case both teams have a similar caliber starting QB.

LET'S FINALLY GET IT DONE, BENGALS!!!!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
The question is can a person with bad hair and an official nickname of macaroni win in the playoffs? That is quite the double whammy. We shall see.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2016, 10:29 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: The question is can a person with bad hair and an official  nickname of macaroni win in the playoffs? That is quite the double  whammy. We shall see.

Replace "Macaroni" with "The Red Rifle"

I think you just answered your own question.

Ninja
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2016, 10:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Backup QB's Who Have Won Playoff Games:

- Franck Reich
- Jeff Hostetler
- Trent Dilfer
- TJ Yates
- Mike Tomczak
- Tommy Maddox

A Couple More Backup QB's, Who Not Only Won Playoff Games, But Became Legitimate Stars:

- Tom Brady
- Kurt Warner

- Mark Sanchez
- Early Joe Flacco
- Rob Johnson
- Rex Grossman
- Tim Tebow
- Rodney Pete
- Jay Schroeder

And these are just a collection of backups, scrubs and noodle arms that I came up with off the top of my head.  I'm sure there's a lot, lot more.  And if we were to include any and all NFL games, then the list would be almost endless.  We could have a discussion of how teams win with the Ryan Lindley's and Matt Flynn's of the world, all of the time in this league.

The fact is AJ McCarron is currently sitting on a 95 QB rating.  The fact is teams have won with worse.  The fact is we'll be playing at home.  And the fact is, if this team is anywhere near the caliber many of us think they are, there should be absolutely no reason why they can't go out there and bring home a W against the Jets or the Steelers.

It's all right there for the taking.  Having a guy who has two full regular seasons under his belt in the same scheme, who now has a number of starts, who also happens to be a two time National Champion, who is sporting a 90+ rating if far from being at a tremendous disadvantage.  Hell, against the Jets you could probably make the case both teams have a similar caliber starting QB.

Don't ever leave this board. You are my favorite poster.

You are right. The talent and pieces are there. Can the Bengals "out-talent" the Jets or Steelers? We shall see...
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2016, 10:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Backup QB's Who Have Won Playoff Games:

- Franck Reich
- Jeff Hostetler
- Trent Dilfer
- TJ Yates
- Mike Tomczak
- Tommy Maddox

- Tom Brady
- Kurt Warner

- Mark Sanchez
- Early Joe Flacco
- Rob Johnson
- Rex Grossman
- Tim Tebow
- Rodney Pete
- Jay Schroeder

Defense will be solid regardless. 
QB will be capable of making some plays.

It's going to take a much better contribution from the running game to give them a good chance of winning more than 1 playoff game.

I think we saw evidence of that against the Broncos in the 1st half. Getting 4-6 yards to make 2nd and 3rd and short was massive in allowing the offense to mount time consuming drives. As soon as the run game was bottled in the 2nd half, the offense suffered.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I've been feeling the same way, Toast. This team is still good enough with McCarron to beat either the Jets or Steelers at PBS.

Of course, you know Marvin Lewis homers love having that "well Dalton was out" excuse in their back pocket.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2016, 11:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've been feeling the same way, Toast. This team is still good enough with McCarron to beat either the Jets or Steelers at PBS.

Of course, you know Marvin Lewis homers love having that "well Dalton was out" excuse in their back pocket.

The "well Dalton was out" excuse is lame. The team was built to hide the deficiencies of the QB ala Houston Texans with Matt Schaub. But Dalton's play in 2015 was making the team better. We haven't seen that yet from McCarron. But this team is built to make a run with "guy" QB...
Reply/Quote
All joking aside, Monday nights game, although a loss, strengthened my confidence that this team can get it done in the playoffs with McCarron. I do believe we are much better off with a healthy Dalton. Hell, we may even be super bowl favorites with Dalton. But with McCarron there is still a punchers chance.

Reply/Quote

- Franck Reich
- Jeff Hostetler
- Trent Dilfer
- TJ Yates
- Mike Tomczak
- Tommy Maddox

- Tom Brady
- Kurt Warner

- Mark Sanchez
- Early Joe Flacco
- Rob Johnson
- Rex Grossman
- Tim Tebow
- Rodney Pete
- Jay Schroeder

Sounds like a lot of "FANS" have given up...  LOL but not this Cowboy!!!  Going to Ride the Tiger into the Super Bowl!!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2016, 11:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've been feeling the same way, Toast. This team is still good enough with McCarron to beat either the Jets or Steelers at PBS.

I am wondering if it is one and done if Marvin will be gone.. sooner than anticipated...  but more than likely since Andy Did get hurt... might just buy Marvin some more time...  to be honest..   
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 12:17 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: I am wondering if it is one and done if Marvin will be gone.. sooner than anticipated...  but more than likely since Andy Did get hurt... might just buy Marvin some more time...  to be honest..   

Honestly, I don't think playoff wins are necessary for Mike Brown to justify (in his mind) keeping Marvin. 

I've seen him defend Marv's track record after 2010, when Marv had a career losing record (60-67-1, also 0-2 in playoffs) and was coming off a season with high expectations that ended with 10 straight losses. If Mike Brown would defend (almost brag about) those types of results, there's no way he's going to fire Marv after 5 straight playoff trips, even with his playoff record at 0-7. 

Dalton's injury would just be how they'd excuse the playoff loss to fans. Heck, Hobspin probably already has a piece ready to go.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2016, 10:51 PM)TexasorBusted Wrote: Don't ever leave this board. You are my favorite poster.

You are right. The talent and pieces are there. Can the Bengals "out-talent" the Jets or Steelers? We shall see...

The real question is can Marvin out coach Todd Bowles and/or Mike Tomlin? I don't know about you, but the answer isn't confidence inspiring.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
He's only going to get better as he gains experience. He's obviously quite good against man-to-man coverage. He worked the shit out of the league's best d for two quarters until they went to zone. I'm not sure if he struggles with zone or not. It's easy to say he does after Monday, but the line got abused in the second half leaving him little time to get rid of the ball.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 12:32 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Honestly, I don't think playoff wins are necessary for Mike Brown to justify (in his mind) keeping Marvin. 

I've seen him defend Marv's track record after 2010, when Marv had a career losing record (60-67-1, also 0-2 in playoffs) and was coming off a season with high expectations that ended with 10 straight losses. If Mike Brown would defend (almost brag about) those types of results, there's no way he's going to fire Marv after 5 straight playoff trips, even with his playoff record at 0-7. 

Dalton's injury would just be how they'd excuse the playoff loss to fans. Heck, Hobspin probably already has a piece ready to go.

Up until Dalton's injury, I had a hunch Marvin would walk away after this year. Win the Super Bowl, and go out on top. Fail with the best team he's fielded, and it wouldn't be all that surprising (to me) that he would hand the reins over to someone who might succeed while the team is relatively still intact. Just a hunch though, based on nothing specifically.

BUT with Dalton's injury, and we don't win out, Marvin will likely want one more shot at it with a healthy Dalton next year. Might also depend on how he thinks next year's team would shake out. Another factor might be how bad the team wants to keep Hue in the organization, assuming he draws a lot of attention for a HC position somewhere else, along with how many other coaches we might lose in the off season. The situation could become volatile, becoming more of a challenge than Marvin would want after 13 years. Priorities do change as one approaches 60.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 03:33 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Up until Dalton's injury, I had a hunch Marvin would walk away after this year. Win the Super Bowl, and go out on top. Fail with the best team he's fielded, and it wouldn't be all that surprising (to me) that he would hand the reins over to someone who might succeed while the team is relatively still intact. Just a hunch though, based on nothing specifically.

BUT with Dalton's injury, and we don't win out, Marvin will likely want one more shot at it with a healthy Dalton next year. Might also depend on how he thinks next year's team would shake out. Another factor might be how bad the team wants to keep Hue in the organization, assuming he draws a lot of attention for a HC position somewhere else, along with how many other coaches we might lose in the off season. The situation could become volatile, becoming more of a challenge than Marvin would want after 13 years. Priorities do change as one approaches 60.

His extension is through 2016?  I thought the same thing this would be his last year if we won it all..   Does he look healthy to you guys the interview after the Denver game looked like a man with a lot of worry - health issues he did not look healthy...
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2016, 11:11 PM)TexasorBusted Wrote: The "well Dalton was out" excuse is lame. The team was built to hide the deficiencies of the QB ala Houston Texans with Matt Schaub. But Dalton's play in 2015 was making the team better. We haven't seen that yet from McCarron. But this team is built to make a run with "guy" QB...

This is more true than many would like to admit. If the backup QB can do exactly what was expected of the starting QB...play solid and not lose the game...the team should advance. Obviously Dalton's experience level gives him a sizable advantage over McCarron but other than that they are virtually the same level as far as skillset goes. 

Dalton was have a very good year, there is no question to that. If McCarron approaches the game plan the same way he will (and has to this point) produced very similarly to what Andy did in the first 3 QTR's of the season. As you said "the team was built to hide the deficiencies of the QB". 
Reply/Quote
"Virtually the same level as far as skillset"

You lost me there....

Can AJM can win a PO game ? Yes
Can he lead us to a superbowl ? He hasn't shown it yet. Andy is the starter for a reason.
But I definitely hope he can, on that we all agree.
Reply/Quote
AJ McCarron is capable of winning a playoff game for the Bengals.

Where people lose me is saying that McCarron is playing at the same level as Dalton. That's just a lie. There is a very noticeable difference. Again, that's not saying McCarron can't help the team win, but he's not on the same level as Dalton. Nowhere close.
Reply/Quote

I agree. This team is good enough to win a playoff game with McCarron. Not sure the coaches are good enough, but the team of players are.

There's always an excuse and those irritate me when I hear them. There's also a set of excuses for Dalton's failures as well and those are just as annoying.

I keep hoping that McCarron won't accept the excuses and goes out there and expects to win. Today will tell us a lot. We need to win this game and the offense needs to look good for 60 minutes, or more if needed.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2016, 12:09 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: AJ McCarron is capable of winning a playoff game for the Bengals.

Where people lose me is saying that McCarron is playing at the same level as Dalton. That's just a lie. There is a very noticeable difference. Again, that's not saying McCarron can't help the team win, but he's not on the same level as Dalton. Nowhere close.

Agree.  And I think the team knows they need to play up a level without Dalton in there.  In the previous 2 road games against San Fran and Denver our receivers were ballin.  Not that they don't try with AD but I think they realize they need to make every play possible with a back up QB in there.
Reply/Quote