Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A.J. Green Injury May Be A Good Thing
(12-05-2016, 12:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Honestly, I think the whole "Dalton stares down AJ/relies too much on AJ" thing is a made up myth. That said, Dalton does need to continue to build chemistry with Boyd. Probably not so much with LaFell, seeing how he may be a one shot deal.

Boyd has done well in his limited role. He has 16 catches on 3rd down for a 1st down. Leads all rookies.

Also was nice to see him on the outside rather than primarily slot. Also that deep ball from Dalton had TD written all over it but slighlty underthrown.

They need to use more Boyd as an outside WR.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 01:17 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Boyd has done well in his limited role. He has 16 catches on 3rd down for a 1st down. Leads all rookies.

Also was nice to see him on the outside rather than primarily slot. Also that deep ball from Dalton had TD written all over it but slighlty underthrown.

They need to use more Boyd as an outside WR.

Boyd is very quietly having one of the best rookie seasons (among receivers) in team history. They need to get him outside on occasion if they plan on him being the future #2. 

That said, even though I love Boyd as an all-around WR with excellent hands, I hope we bring in some speed this off-season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 12:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Honestly, I think the whole "Dalton stares down AJ/relies too much on AJ" thing is a made up myth. That said, Dalton does need to continue to build chemistry with Boyd. Probably not so much with LaFell, seeing how he may be a one shot deal.

I was very critical of LaFell coming into the season, but he has played well. I would not be opposed at all to bringing him back. Losing Green is never a good thing, but the silver lining is building the timing and trust with Boyd and Core....
Reply/Quote
Watching Core and Boyd is exciting. Heck even Erickson looks like he has potential at WR. Gives me hope we can rebound sooner rather than later if we have some more hidden talent on the roster.
Reply/Quote
Losing your best pass catcher is never a good thing.

Ask all of Jerry Rice/TO/Randy Moss's QBs if they'd have preferred those WRs/LaFell/Boyd, or LaFell/Boyd/Core.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 01:47 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Boyd is very quietly having one of the best rookie seasons (among receivers) in team history. They need to get him outside on occasion if they plan on him being the future #2. 

That said, even though I love Boyd as an all-around WR with excellent hands, I hope we bring in some speed this off-season.

I agree. We've lacked speed and though many have claimed that Core can be our deep/fast guy, I still believe we need to look to the draft for speed.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 02:30 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I agree. We've lacked speed and though many have claimed that Core can be our deep/fast guy, I still believe we need to look to the draft for speed.

Right on. If you find a diamond in the rough, great...but you can't rely on that. I wouldn't mind giving Core some serious snaps at WR the rest of the way, but unless he really flashes some skills, I'd look to add a fast body this offseason.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 02:30 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I agree. We've lacked speed and though many have claimed that Core can be our deep/fast guy, I still believe we need to look to the draft for speed.

(12-05-2016, 02:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Right on. If you find a diamond in the rough, great...but you can't rely on that. I wouldn't mind giving Core some serious snaps at WR the rest of the way, but unless he really flashes some skills, I'd look to add a fast body this offseason.

Think regardless of if Core shows he's fit to be a starter, you still need to find some more speed.

The Bengals need to get faster on both sides of the ball. Dalton has a pretty deep ball if he gets time to throw it, but you need people able to get downfield before he can throw it downfield. As for the defense... yeah. LBs are slow.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 12:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Honestly, I think the whole "Dalton stares down AJ/relies too much on AJ" thing is a made up myth. That said, Dalton does need to continue to build chemistry with Boyd. Probably not so much with LaFell, seeing how he may be a one shot deal.
I agree. If anything, they still can figure out ways to get the ball in AJ Green's hands more than they do.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 02:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Think regardless of if Core shows he's fit to be a starter, you still need to find some more speed.

The Bengals need to get faster on both sides of the ball. Dalton has a pretty deep ball if he gets time to throw it, but you need people able to get downfield before he can throw it downfield. As for the defense... yeah. LBs are slow.
Superman or The Flash could not get down field fast enough with our offensive line most of this season.....and yes we need LB......I still see O line and LB needing addressed in Free agency and The Draft early.....Hill and Bernard and Burkhead and Dalton have no blocking. Blocking and Tackling is what wins play-off games.  This is not touch football.  .....I will point out the Bengals two Super Bowl teams had Anthony Munoz and great offensive lines. THAT is what really made those teams Super Bowl teams.  Of course we are no where near the talent of those offensive lines, but that is what we need to aim for.  Once you have blocking like that, the running holes open and the passing lanes open and the receivers have time to get open.  Missed blocks have this team out of the play-offs. Missed blocks are our enemy.  We need BLOCKING in 2017. .......and I agree we can use help at LB on defense.

So it was great to see Boyd, LaFell, Core step up without Green yesterday.  Green is injured. He is not being sat or benched, he is injured. Now we can batch and moan about it, or these other guys can step up. Yesterday they stepped up.  Well, they are in the NFL and get paid and they should step up. If they get paid, they should step up......LaFell gave reasons to resign him.....Wright has played well when in there....Now they should be able to look great against the Browns.  Everybody looks great against the Browns.  If we can't block or move the ball on the worst defense in the NFL, then that will be a huge step backwards.  On paper this should be a good Fantasy Football week for Dalton, Hill, LaFell, Eifert, Boyd and maybe a surprise Burkhead replacing Bernard.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
A lot of great players only got their shots at greatness because of injuries to the players ahead of them in pecking orders.. Nothing new about this..Occasionally a great player who spent several years on the bench will upstage another great player and it's in with the new , out with the old which happens on a fairly regular basis . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2016, 01:47 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Boyd is very quietly having one of the best rookie seasons (among receivers) in team history. They need to get him outside on occasion if they plan on him being the future #2. 

I loved Boyd at Pitt. Really glad we could add him.

He's doing nice things for a rookie WR. That is notoriously a position that takes 2-3 years to develop.
Reply/Quote