Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A New Jackson Carman?
(05-01-2023, 03:25 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I hope he’s finally turned the corner and shows he can be a capable starter.  Since we weren’t able to move Jonah over draft weekend maybe some team comes calling when they have an injury at the ot position and Carmen has made him expendable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(05-01-2023, 04:00 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: You shouldn’t as there is no such person as Haeem on the team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

(Which is why as a general rule, you shouldn't harp on someone's mistyping or misspelling unless you're clearly making a sarcastic good natured joke. Carman's name is even in the thread title.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 12:44 PM)pally Wrote: Media had remarked earlier that Carman looked thinner at OTA's.  He says he actually weighs the same but he has spent time reforming his body so he has gained muscle mass and lost fat %.

He said he has been doing a lot of non-football workouts...yoga, gymnastics, water exercise.  If the means a stronger, more flexible, more in shape Jackson, I'm all for it.
and tries to improve on it
He may end up not being the answer at RT either, but I give the kid a lot of credit for keeping at it, He takes the feedback and works to implement it.  I get the feeling he has matured a lot in his 2 seasons with the team

I like Carman and I believe he has some real talent. Sometimes work ethic is a trait that has to be developed as people mature. He was probably pretty use to getting by on just physical gifts but it is well documented that that is not going to fly at the NFL level and you have to come to work every single day. It appears he is getting it and I hope he his. I really hope he causes there to be some serious crow eating from some folks.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 04:38 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I like Carman and I believe he has some real talent. Sometimes work ethic is a trait that has to be developed as people mature. He was probably pretty use to getting by on just physical gifts but it is well documented that that is not going to fly at the NFL level and you have to come to work every single day. It appears he is getting it and I hope he his. I really hope he causes there to be some serious crow eating from some folks.

I believe this happens more than we think. I'm hoping that's been a part of Carman's past issues and he now understands he can't just "phone it in" at the big boy level.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I really, really like the guy. I know he's been a favorite whipping boy for BB regulars but I have a feeling this may very well be a breakout year for JC.  He has a good attitude, seems like a good teammate, he was a beast in the playoffs last season, and seems really motivated to show what he can do at RT. I feel really good about him!!!

[video=youtube]http://[/video]
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
He played decently in the playoffs. Maybe that momentum can help him this fall.

As for him getting in shape. Meh!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 03:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: A) He's just now 23.
B) He was playing out of position
C) When he got his chance at tackle, he did well enough Burrow said he felt no pressure from that side of the line.
D) He is evidently over his back issues and has leaned and put on muscle, so he's obviously working.
E) What do you want?

Whoa, hold on a minute here.  Let's talk about these items one by one.

1.  He's 23?  Big deal, he's also a college educated Gen Z who's likely been way more advance for his age that you or I could have possibly hoped to have been by that age, and he's been a "superstar" since he was a kid.

2.  Out of position?  Pfft, hungry athletes do whatever it takes to get on the field, regardless of specific position.

3.  I'll give you that one, he came through with fresh legs against defenses that had been on the field all season long plus playoffs.

4.  Back issues are tricky, (I'm a back patient and still trying to be competitive) the gymnastics and ballet are likely therapeutic for his back in that respect, and I applaud him for trying things to mitigate a problem that will never completely go away.

5.  What do I want?  I want the best 5 OL out on the field at any given moment.  Right now, I have Williams as the lead for RT, and Carman as the Swing Tackle.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
While he has struggled, I hope this helps him improve his game. From what I understand, that kind of training is usually more to help with injury prevention. Don't know if it'll make him a better o linemen.
Reply/Quote
One of the possible "answers' at RT in this draft that folks wanted was Matt Bergeron who went early in RD 2. He's the same age as JC.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
As Zac has said he thinks Carman now knows what it takes to be successful in the NFL. It’s no secret that he came in for his rookie season overweight and out of shape. His work ethic was poor and after they sat him down he didn’t do a damn thing about it. It may be way over used but the light bulb appears to have come on.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Well good luck to him. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 12:55 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Encouraging news to be sure.  It takes some players longer to develop and mature than others.

I would love to see him beat out Jonah for the starting RT position.

Speaking on maturing he's a 23 year old entering his 3rd NFL season so perhaps we will be able to solve RT in house if he's feeling especially motivated and working hard. We have to remember he was coming in with back injuries his first season.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 11:09 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: As Zac has said he thinks Carman now knows what it takes to be successful in the NFL. It’s no secret that he came in for his rookie season overweight and out of shape. His work ethic was poor and after they sat him down he didn’t do a damn thing about it. It may be way over used but the light bulb appears to have come on.

Yep. I think the back issues did not help with his rookie weight issues. Nor did he take well to guard. .

I think the best case scenario for the team is for him to really level up this year, building on his PO play, and takes that RT spot. Jonah can provide depth this year and cap savings next and a comp pick the year after. Collins plays his deal out, providing depth next year. Then savings, then maybe a comp. 

And we feel less urgency to use a premium pick (Day 1 or 2) on OT because we are drafting backups for Brown/Carman. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 10:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Whoa, hold on a minute here.  Let's talk about these items one by one.

1.  He's 23?  Big deal, he's also a college educated Gen Z who's likely been way more advance for his age that you or I could have possibly hoped to have been by that age, and he's been a "superstar" since he was a kid.

2.  Out of position?  Pfft, hungry athletes do whatever it takes to get on the field, regardless of specific position.

3.  I'll give you that one, he came through with fresh legs against defenses that had been on the field all season long plus playoffs.

4.  Back issues are tricky, (I'm a back patient and still trying to be competitive) the gymnastics and ballet are likely therapeutic for his back in that respect, and I applaud him for trying things to mitigate a problem that will never completely go away.

5.  What do I want?  I want the best 5 OL out on the field at any given moment.  Right now, I have Williams as the lead for RT, and Carman as the Swing Tackle.

You sound like a spoon fed, grouchy old man...I bet you could even throw a football over them mountains. The fact of the matter is he is still a child in many respects, and we can be hopeful that the man is growing up and taking some initiative.
Reply/Quote
If Jonah Williams really is going to play RT then that is likely the starter. Carman can earn the very important 6th lineman spot. He will likely see playing time and it could be at Guard. This is the important year 3 for Jackson Carman and hopefully we see him take a step forward. In 2 games last year you can see why they drafted him in the 2nd round with him driving people and just being aggressive/physical thats what I want to see more of on the OL.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 08:00 AM)Synric Wrote: If Jonah Williams really is going to play RT then that is likely the starter. Carman can earn the very important 6th lineman spot. He will likely see playing time and it could be at Guard. This is the important year 3 for Jackson Carman and hopefully we see him take a step forward. In 2 games last year you can see why they drafted him in the 2nd round with him driving people and just being aggressive/physical thats what I want to see more of on the OL.

Taylor said Carman has the 1st opportunity this year. He's the penciled in starter. I saw nothing from Williams last year that makes me think he can beat him. Evidently no other team in the NFL wants him bad enough to trade for him either. I guess we'll see. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 12:44 PM)pally Wrote: Media had remarked earlier that Carman looked thinner at OTA's.  He says he actually weighs the same but he has spent time reforming his body so he has gained muscle mass and lost fat %.

He said he has been doing a lot of non-football workouts...yoga, gymnastics, water exercise.  If the means a stronger, more flexible, more in shape Jackson, I'm all for it.
He may end up not being the answer at RT either, but I give the kid a lot of credit for keeping at it, He takes the feedback and works to implement it.  I get the feeling he has matured a lot in his 2 seasons with the team

I had all but given up on the guy until those last two playoff games.  Dude comes in having not taken a single snap in the NFL at LT and he was very solid (highest rated lineman against KC).  I think maybe the Bengals have learned something and even if he isn't going to take Orlando Brown's job, he could take Jonah's and make him expendable.  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 08:10 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Taylor said Carman has the 1st opportunity this year. He's the penciled in starter. I saw nothing from Williams last year that makes me think he can beat him. Evidently no other team in the NFL wants him bad enough to trade for him either. I guess we'll see. 

I think (don’t know) that because Carman’s attitude and work ethic has changed and are impressed they are making sure he knows their pleasure about it. I Just get that impression. He’s engaged and positive and if Jonah doesn’t bring the same my bets are on Carman.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

That is exactly what you want to see/hear from a player. 
Usually takes OL 2-3 years to reshape their bodies and change habits from College days. 
In college they are told to maintain a certain weight, not to maintain a certain BMI %. 

In Carman's defense, he did come into the league with a back issue hindering him his first year, so hopefully that was what was slowing him down more so than motivation and taught him to take better care of his body. 

All i hope for is that he comes in healthy and plays up to his potential. 
Reply/Quote
A Carman-Williams competition is healthy and I hope the best player gets to start. An improved Carman should make it interesting to follow.

If Carman is named the starter, does Williams magnify his trade demands in a way detrimental to the team?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 09:19 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: A Carman-Williams competition is healthy and I hope the best player gets to start. An improved Carman should make it interesting to follow.

If Carman is named the starter, does Williams magnify his trade demands in a way detrimental to the team?

Jonah's contract is really hurting his trade value with his injury/play history. A team that has injuries in camp might do it but I expect them to go after Taylor Lewan, Donovan Smith, and Geoge Fant first. Cheaper with better or the same level of play without giving up draft capital.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote