Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A New Jackson Carman?
(05-03-2023, 11:20 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Whereabouts in South Carolina? I live just over the SC border in Union County, NC. 

For some reason I thought you were from New Jersey
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
While I've always been a Jonah Williams supporter, I'd love for Jackson Carman to take the RT starting spot.
Carman is here through 2024 and it'd be nice to have RT solidified with someone who isn't a 1-year stopgap.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2023, 11:34 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The OL was pretty good the first go around with KC giving up no sacks. I think Orlando is an upgrade, Frank Booth’s all time favorite Cordell Volson has to benefit from 20 starts. Karras and Cappa their second year and a real competition at RT may finally get to top 10. It can propel this offense to remind us all to the Rams “greatest show on turf “

Yeah baby.PervertClapping
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 03:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I believe Taylor had already said Carman will be the Right Tackle while Williams and Collins continue to heal. If Jonah does not anchor better than he has been (I know he was hurt) he will not take that spot.

I could absolutely see Carman being the starting RT, especially with the reports coming from those around the organization of how he has looked when coming in from this off season. If he is in fact the starting RT I believe that Jonah becomes the swing tackle and they look to cut Collins with an injury settlement unless they find a party interested in Jonah in which case they could trade Jonah and Collins becomes swing tackle.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 12:47 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I could absolutely see Carman being the starting RT, especially with the reports coming from those around the organization of how he has looked when coming in from this off season. If he is in fact the starting RT I believe that Jonah becomes the swing tackle and they look to cut Collins with an injury settlement unless they find a party interested in Jonah in which case they could trade Jonah and Collins becomes swing tackle.

Would rather have Collins as the swing tackle once he gets healthy and trade Jonah. Jonah doesn't fit the power Gap scheme at all.
Reply/Quote
As long as someone steps up and takes that RT job,and does a good job at it,then I really don’t care who it is.It appears the job is pretty much there for the taking,although I think they did name Jackson Carman the starter going into camp.

And,of course they will have Ford and Adeniji competing also.I’d just love to see someone step up and compete at a pro bowl level.

Carman just may be the guy.That would be fine with me.I wish him the best of luck.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2023, 04:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would rather have Collins as the swing tackle once he gets healthy and trade Jonah. Jonah doesn't fit the power Gap scheme at all.

I would not completely agree with that. As the Bengals have transitioned from Wide Zone to power gap the ability of Jonah to pull from the OT position has been a big part of the blocking scheme. Collins does not offer that same sort of pulling ability that Jonah does and I as a swing tackle I would be hesitant lining Collins up at LT if the need should arise. 
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2023, 08:14 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I would not completely agree with that. As the Bengals have transitioned from Wide Zone to power gap the ability of Jonah to pull from the OT position has been a big part of the blocking scheme. Collins does not offer that same sort of pulling ability that Jonah does and I as a swing tackle I would be hesitant lining Collins up at LT if the need should arise. 

At this point I would move Carman to LT before I would Collins.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2023, 08:14 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I would not completely agree with that. As the Bengals have transitioned from Wide Zone to power gap the ability of Jonah to pull from the OT position has been a big part of the blocking scheme. Collins does not offer that same sort of pulling ability that Jonah does and I as a swing tackle I would be hesitant lining Collins up at LT if the need should arise. 

It is true that Jonah is probably a better puller than La'el especially with La'el coming off of such a terrible injury.

Jonah won't be here after this year though, and has his injury history as well, so I would prefer to prepare for his departure.

Carman is honestly the better LT option from what we saw in the Playoffs, Collins can play Guard unlike Carman.

(05-07-2023, 10:00 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: At this point I would move Carman to LT before I would Collins.

Agree, just saying I don't like how Jonah gets pushed around and we need to prepare for him leaving anyways. I don't like having
players on my team that request trades.
Reply/Quote
Stuff like this is almost always fluff. Players are in the best shape of their life every year, no matter how old they are or what injury or deficiency they are coming back from, but I am still optimistic about Carman's chances of being a positive contributor to this team because he was so serviceable at LT in the playoffs. We had to replace 3 starters on the Oline as the playoffs progressed and two of them were abject failures and largely the reason we did not go to the Super Bowl.

The third was Jackson Carman.

So if he is feeling fit, motivated and refreshed, more power to him. I am rooting for him to be a helpful addition to this team moving forward.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2023, 03:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is true that Jonah is probably a better puller than La'el especially with La'el coming off of such a terrible injury.

Jonah won't be here after this year though, and has his injury history as well, so I would prefer to prepare for his departure.

Carman is honestly the better LT option from what we saw in the Playoffs, Collins can play Guard unlike Carman.

Agree, just saying I don't like how Jonah gets pushed around and we need to prepare for him leaving anyways. I don't like having
players on my team that request trades.

Good news is, the team doesn't need to make a move for cap reasons at this time. So, take them all to camp and let it sort out. See who gets healthy, see who performs and have something they've never had... depth.

Who knows, maybe Carman wins the RT job and Collins and Williams both show up and get healthy, then you have an amazing spot to be in with that depth. Or, have a hell of a trade chip when another team loses a starting tackle and will be desperate to find someone.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2023, 03:53 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Good news is, the team doesn't need to make a move for cap reasons at this time. So, take them all to camp and let it sort out. See who gets healthy, see who performs and have something they've never had... depth.

Who knows, maybe Carman wins the RT job and Collins and Williams both show up and get healthy, then you have an amazing spot to be in with that depth. Or, have a hell of a trade chip when another team loses a starting tackle and will be desperate to find someone.

Great point Murdock. That is a major positive coming out of this whole situation. Some good depth for once on the OL and if a team 
gets desperate for a starting OT we are sitting in a great spot to add a pick or a player while hopefully getting Jonah's salary off the 
books. Also would be nice to have quality OL depth going into the Playoffs, as this has been our problem the last couple years.
Reply/Quote
I think Carman is kind of screwed in this scenario. Jonah showed his ass, but I think the team will give him first crack at the job for the credit he's built.

It would be a major dick move to bench a guy in the year he's up for what's likely the contract that sets him up for life. I don't think the Bengals have it in them, unless he just can't recover from the knee issues. I think he gets some assurances to improve his mindset heading into camp.

Jonah will have to look horrific in camp to lose the job to Carman.

On the bright side, If you can get him on board, you might have the deepest tackle group in the league once Collins is healthy. They can afford to carry all of them, and it would be a major hedge vs an injury meltdown like the one that cam late last year.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 05:49 PM)samhain Wrote: I think Carman is kind of screwed in this scenario. Jonah showed his ass, but I think the team will give him first crack at the job for the credit he's built.

It would be a major dick move to bench a guy in the year he's up for what's likely the contract that sets him up for life. I don't think the Bengals have it in them, unless he just can't recover from the knee issues. I think he gets some assurances to improve his mindset heading into camp.

Jonah will have to look horrific in camp to lose the job to Carman.

On the bright side, If you can get him on board, you might have the deepest tackle group in the league once Collins is healthy. They can afford to carry all of them, and it would be a major hedge vs an injury meltdown like the one that cam late last year.

If Carman outplays the others, I think it would be a terrible to put the lesser guy protecting their quarter a billion dollar QB. How to explain to the team that the second best man wins?
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 09:45 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: If Carman outplays the others, I think it would be a terrible to put the lesser guy protecting their quarter a billion dollar QB. How to explain to the team that the second best man wins?

This is the NFL. If the team feels Carman is the best LT they have no choice. This is people livelihoods. Coaches livelihoods. Coaches know from Karras and Brown and Cappa. But if it’s that close then I expect both play early and that’s the only way to tell.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 09:45 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: If Carman outplays the others, I think it would be a terrible to put the lesser guy protecting their quarter a billion dollar QB. How to explain to the team that the second best man wins?

I agree, but I'd be very surprised if the competition isn't heavily weighted in Jonah's favor.  They only played Carman last year when they were basically forced to.  Adeniji was ahead of him on the depth chart.  Adenji.  Let that sink in.  

I actually hope Carman blows the doors off of camp and forces their hand, but I'd be highly surprised if it happens.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 09:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: This is the NFL. If the team feels Carman is the best LT they have no choice. This is people livelihoods. Coaches livelihoods. Coaches know from Karras and Brown and Cappa. But if it’s that close then I expect both play early and that’s the only way to tell.

There is next to zero chance they open the season with rotating RTs.  That's a downright horrific idea.  

Coaches like familiarity. Again, they went with Adeniji over Carman when Collins went down because they liked the the had experience as a starter (I guess). And it was objectively bad experience.  Jonah has 3 seasons of snaps under this staff.  One was not great, two others were solid.  Carman has about 2 and a half games.  Which one do you think has to do more to earn the job?
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 10:04 PM)samhain Wrote: There is next to zero chance they open the season with rotating RTs.  That's a downright horrific idea.  

Coaches like familiarity. Again, they went with Adeniji over Carman when Collins went down because they liked the the had experience as a starter (I guess). And it was objectively bad experience.  Jonah has 3 seasons of snaps under this staff.  One was not great, two others were solid.  Carman has about 2 and a half games.  Which one do you think has to do more to earn the job?

Ha I meant RT BTW. I think that they are very impressed with the new attitude and mature Carman. I think they’ve got tons of loyalty to Jonah. But they have the most loyalty to the team. They will play who the coaches and leaders on the line deem as the best option. If they can figure that out in mini camp and summer camp and preseason work they will make a decision. If they can’t it will drag into the early games. I would agree if it’s close Jonah gets the nod.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote