Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A New Linebacker Issue
Don't tell Hobs. He's probably busy calculating the 2018 comp pick we might receive. Look for an update in todays article.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 10:54 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Ah, the classic Landon Johnson debate.

Leading a team in tackles isn't a big deal unless it's some insane amount of tackles. Somebody has to lead the team in tackles every season. That doesn't mean they're a good player.

Leading the team in some sort of splash play statistic is way more meaningful. Someone gets a tackle on almost every play I'm football. It's a mundane state.

I'd rather have him on the team. My point is, his tackles were a product of his snap count and incompetence of the likes of Rey. 

Reply/Quote
Rueben Foster makes this linebacking corps pretty good.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 10:54 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Ah, the classic Landon Johnson debate.

Leading a team in tackles isn't a big deal unless it's some insane amount of tackles. Somebody has to lead the team in tackles every season. That doesn't mean they're a good player.

Leading the team in some sort of splash play statistic is way more meaningful. Someone gets a tackle on almost every play I'm football. It's a mundane state.

I wasn't trying to argue that he was great, just showing that he wasn't "garbage".  Leading the team in tackles does have meaning.  If it is a LB, then he's doing a fine job.  If it's a member of the secondary leading the team in tackles, it means that your LB corps is garbage.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think losing Dansby makes Maualuga likely to be here this season.

Draft Foster. Move Maualuga to outside LB and roll with that.

I'd rather see us sign Connor Barwin.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think losing Dansby makes Maualuga likely to be here this season.

Draft Foster. Move Maualuga to outside LB and roll with that.

I'd rather see us sign Connor Barwin.

They tried Maualuga at OLB his first two years with the team, it wasn't a good fit.  He was too slow, both of foot and in his play diagnosis/reaction timing.  Now that he's about #30 heavier, and likely 3 steps slower on his feet, I would think it would be a disaster.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Maybe this means PJ Dawson is ready to go.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 08:22 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yesterday while most of Bengaldom was lamenting Andrew Whitworth going to Los Angeles for big bucks and eating Tums like candy after hearing Kevin Zeitler wasn't even given an offer by Cincinnati to stay, Karlos Dansby quietly re-signed with the Arizona Cardinals.  

No, I didn't notice either.

Yes, he's Arizona's version of Cincinnati's Orien "Boomerang" Harris but I digress.

Karlos Dansby took a lot of snaps for the Bengals last season at SAM and, at least according to the depth chart, the other two SAM linebackers are Marquis Flowers and PJ Dawson.  Are either of these two players ready for prime time or should the Bengals look to the draft or see who is left on the steaming garbage pile of second-day free agency rejects?  DeMarcus Ware is available along with Connor Barwin, Elvis Dumervil, and others who might be a short term solution at SAM.

I recall hearing Nick Vigil is slotted to be the starter at SAM.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They tried Maualuga at OLB his first two years with the team, it wasn't a good fit.  He was too slow, both of foot and in his play diagnosis/reaction timing.  Now that he's about #30 heavier, and likely 3 steps slower on his feet, I would think it would be a disaster.

I wonder how many young millennials will not understand why you "hashtagged" 30 lol.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I wonder how many young millennials will not understand why you "hashtagged" 30 lol.

Lol, likely a few.  See sonny boy, back in my day a pound sign was simply used to signify an amount of weight.  Now days, these young whippersnappers call it a hash tag.  Why does my hash need a tag, anyway?  If it's cooked well, the aroma should give it away.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 03:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Lol, likely a few.  See sonny boy, back in my day a pound sign was simply used to signify an amount of weight.  Now days, these young whippersnappers call it a hash tag.  Why does my hash need a tag, anyway?  If it's cooked well, the aroma should give it away.

Is that what it means? I always think tic-tac-toe. Son-of-a-*****! I'm going fishing with Grampohol. I hate fishing!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 09:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: People keep saying that Dansby was garbage, but he did lead the team in tackles.

...after a gain of >10 yards. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 10:00 AM)bengals67 Wrote: With his flaws, Dansby one of the best strong sign LBs we have had even in his later years and 10 times better than Rey M who will be re-signed with Peko while Bodine is extended

Cardinals have a way better team and shot at Super Bowl than stupid pathetic Bengals.

Please trade Andy- he is too good a guy to face what is coming next year.

If Maualuga and Peko are resigned, I will go ballistic.  Good Grief!
Reply/Quote
Would not call Dansby garbage by any means.

But he certainly had already lost a step in coverage.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 10:24 PM)Derrick Wrote: If Maualuga and Peko are resigned, I will go ballistic.  Good Grief!

They will. Hopefully in limited roles. 

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 10:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Is that what it means? I always think tic-tac-toe. Son-of-a-*****! I'm going fishing with Grampohol. I hate fishing!

......or a sign for number.....like we're #32.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 12:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: ......or a sign for number.....like we're #32.....

Unless there's an expansion team over the horizon.

Reply/Quote
We need more speed at LB. It's a non issue that Dansby isn't here.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Estatic to go into 2017 season with 1 all pro caliber talent player. 1 who is starting in his second year. That has to tell you hes extremely good and imo a oerennial pro bowler.and then vinny rey for 10-15 snaps a game. I really like our front 7 this year if we draft a rde or mlb like mcmillan, alonzalone, etc. i think our front 7 could be a top 7 in the league.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 08:22 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yesterday while most of Bengaldom was lamenting Andrew Whitworth going to Los Angeles for big bucks and eating Tums like candy after hearing Kevin Zeitler wasn't even given an offer by Cincinnati to stay, Karlos Dansby quietly re-signed with the Arizona Cardinals.  

No, I didn't notice either.

Yes, he's Arizona's version of Cincinnati's Orien "Boomerang" Harris but I digress.

Karlos Dansby took a lot of snaps for the Bengals last season at SAM and, at least according to the depth chart, the other two SAM linebackers are Marquis Flowers and PJ Dawson.  Are either of these two players ready for prime time or should the Bengals look to the draft or see who is left on the steaming garbage pile of second-day free agency rejects?  DeMarcus Ware is available along with Connor Barwin, Elvis Dumervil, and others who might be a short term solution at SAM.

You didn't hear? We have no money left at all. Mike Brown splurged and bought himself a 2006 ford Taurus with the roll over money. 
Reply/Quote