Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A New Linebacker Issue
I use the # symbol on my grocery shopping list to signify I've already put that item in the shopping cart. 
Yeah, I know..old fashioned. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 10:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Is that what it means? I always think tic-tac-toe. Son-of-a-*****! I'm going fishing with Grampohol. I hate fishing!

Yeah..me either. I didn't actually go fishing once last year. 
Dammit! I'm going fishing. The hell with it. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
And like clockwork I bet we were caught off guard and will not have a suitable replacement by next season
Reply/Quote
What this tells me is we may be going LB early in the draft. Foster together with Vigil and Burflict could be a good LB corps, and finally not a patchwork like we have been doing.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 09:31 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: It's Vigil time folks. Dansby was garbage anyway. I didn't want him back, we just need to cut Rey and draft a younger thumper at MLB.

Foster may be the right choice at 9th in the draft.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
With LB core so thin I hope no one expects us to cut Rey M
Reply/Quote
The Linebackers remaining on the roster at this point will be abused by NFL TE's and RB's in coverage and open space. The ability to make a large number of tackles is postive that only a Bengal fan will spin as a negative.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 09:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: People keep saying that Dansby was garbage, but he did lead the team in tackles.

Well this is the youth movement that some wanted last year.. Virgil will be a starter.. and i feel they could draft LB in 1/2 round... and i predict they cut Ray and get younger and faster. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 02:24 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: You didn't hear? We have no money left at all. Mike Brown splurged and bought himself a 2006 ford Taurus with the roll over money. 

He's not even loyal to Chevy anymore!
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 09:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: People keep saying that Dansby was garbage, but he did lead the team in tackles.

Yes 15 yards downfield, lets be honest Dansby was horrible in pass coverage, time to go with the younger guys
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
It amazes me. People complained about Dansby all season, now they complain we didn't resign him. I think the plan is to go young and fast, with Vigil, Burfict, possibly Foster or another drafted LB or one of the current backups. If they are going with Vinney in the middle, I would not be surprised if they resign Maualuga just for short yardage run downs... but I suspect his salary will be way down.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 10:27 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: He's not even loyal to Chevy anymore!

Nope!  He got a comp oil change out of it!
Reply/Quote

They were all 5 yds downfield, but tackles none the less.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 01:15 PM)Beaker Wrote: They were all 5 yds downfield, but tackles none the less.

Not gonna put that on Karlos 100% because Gunthers defense seems to play a DEFAULT minimum 10 yards off in pass coverage no matter how many yards is actually needed for the first

If you catch a pass against Cincy by design you got at least 6 yards no matter what. What you do after that is up to you.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 12:33 AM)Housh Wrote: Not gonna put that on Karlos 100% because Gunthers defense seems to play a DEFAULT minimum 10 yards off in pass coverage no matter how many yards is actually needed for the first

If you catch a pass against Cincy by design you got at least 6 yards no matter what. What you do after that is up to you.

That's Kevin Coyle, not PG. The DBs were pissed last year and didn't like the fact that he made them play those coverages. Vance Joseph had them up and challenging WRs. I think that's why Adam Jones did so well in 2015, and looked way worse on 2016. Getting up in the WRs face and disrupting him off the line was Jones' specialty and played to his strengths. Having to sit off the WR then turn and run with them exposed his older legs.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 12:10 PM)Beaker Wrote: That's Kevin Coyle, not PG. The DBs were pissed last year and didn't like the fact that he made them play those coverages. Vance Joseph had them up and challenging WRs. I think that's why Adam Jones did so well in 2015, and looked way worse on 2016. Getting up in the WRs face and disrupting him off the line was Jones' specialty and played to his strengths. Having to sit off the WR then turn and run with them exposed his older legs.

Going to have to call bullshit on that one.

NFL.com rated Jones as the 7th best CB, after the 2016 season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000769950/article/yearend-cornerback-rankings-richard-sherman-lands-at-no-1

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 12:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Going to have to call bullshit on that one.

NFL.com rated Jones as the 7th best CB, after the 2016 season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000769950/article/yearend-cornerback-rankings-richard-sherman-lands-at-no-1

That's why it say looked way worse. To us, he appeared to have lost a step compared to the previous season. OK, Let me re-state that...to me he did, and some others that I have heard say similar things.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 12:27 PM)Beaker Wrote: That's why it say looked way worse. To us, he appeared to have lost a step compared to the previous season. OK, Let me re-state that...to me he did, and some others that I have heard say similar things.

Just goes to show that sometimes our perceptions don't match the reality sometimes.  The real difference in the secondary was not having Reggie Nelson back there, or Vance Joseph coaching.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 12:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just goes to show that sometimes our perceptions don't match the reality sometimes.  The real difference in the secondary was not having Reggie Nelson back there, or Vance Joseph coaching.

That's true!

When Reggie Nelson played over the top, Adam Jones and Dre Kirkpatrick could play nearly any way they wanted because Reggie was behind them ready to make plays. Good safeties make for good cornerbacks and together they make defensive lines more effective. I think the lack of sacks by the Cincinnati front four in 2016 had much to do with loose downfield coverage and less to do with lack of penetration into the backfield. Speaking thereof, did you ever see a safety blitz better than Reggie Nelson?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 11:11 AM)jeremydc Wrote: I'd rather have him on the team. My point is, his tackles were a product of his snap count and incompetence of the likes of Rey. 

(03-10-2017, 03:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wasn't trying to argue that he was great, just showing that he wasn't "garbage".  Leading the team in tackles does have meaning.  If it is a LB, then he's doing a fine job.  If it's a member of the secondary leading the team in tackles, it means that your LB corps is garbage.

I wasn't saying Dansby was a bad player. Not at all. I was just saying that he compiled a bunch of tackles in an unspectacular fashion. That's virtually all he did and since someone gets tackled on almost every play I think someone else on the Bengals would have made those exact same plays if Dansby wasn't on the field. The thing that will make a large contribution and denote a special, meaningful player would be if an LB had an incredible amount of tackles, a lot of passes defensed, INTs, sacks, or forced fumbles.

Here is a page of Bengals stats (defense is towards the bottom). http://www.nfl.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/statistics?team=CIN

NOTE: Burfict played in 5 less games yet only trailed Dansby by 13 tackles, had more SOLO tackles, more sacks, and more fumbles.

Burfict is a monster to be able to do that with 30% less games played.

I guess I just feel like Dansby did his job adequately, but I'm fairly certain someone else (younger) could do the same job just as adequately or better.
Reply/Quote