Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Non-Typical Draft
I've heard lots of people talking about NOT taking a RB until the 5th or 6th rounds this year. Being that the first 3 picks could potentially be WR-WR-WR. I'm not sure I buy into that theory.  Can someone try to convince me to not take a RB until Round 5?   
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 12:52 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I've heard lots of people talking about NOT taking a RB until the 5th or 6th rounds this year. Being that the first 3 picks could potentially be WR-WR-WR. I'm not sure I buy into that theory.  Can someone try to convince me to not take a RB until Round 5?   

So the theory was RB suffers way more injuries than WR and on average a WR will meet or exceed expectations because they don't get injured.  A couple years ago the zero RB strategy was popular.  That was because people felt the need to have 2 high end RB meaning there was an insane amount of value at WR.  The script has flipped.  I'd almost argue that you can build a better roster with more value by going running back first few rounds. Ultimately fantasy football is about constructing a roster with the most value possible and it doesn't matter where that comes from (as long as you draft a balanced roster).

If you are drafting 3rd and go Julio/obj/Antonio brown and a guy like Jordy falls to you and Evans is available in 3rd I would agree to Go WR WR WR... But if you are drafting 7th and those three are gone and a top flight RB is staring you in the eye pull the trigger.  You will still get a wr1 in round 2 (dez, jordy, hopkins, aj.)

It's all about value and it doesn't matter how you get there.  Please keep in mind you need to know your league (PPR, bonuses, 2 Qb, etc)
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 01:41 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: So the theory was RB suffers way more injuries than WR and on average a WR will meet or exceed expectations because they don't get injured.  A couple years ago the zero RB strategy was popular.  That was because people felt the need to have 2 high end RB meaning there was an insane amount of value at WR.  The script has flipped.  I'd almost argue that you can build a better roster with more value by going running back first few rounds. Ultimately fantasy football is about constructing a roster with the most value possible and it doesn't matter where that comes from (as long as you draft a balanced roster).

If you are drafting 3rd and go Julio/obj/Antonio brown and a guy like Jordy falls to you and Evans is available in 3rd I would agree to Go WR WR WR... But if you are drafting 7th and those three are gone and a top flight RB is staring you in the eye pull the trigger.  You will still get a wr1 in round 2 (dez, jordy, hopkins, aj.)

It's all about value and it doesn't matter how you get there.  Please keep in mind you need to know your league (PPR, bonuses, 2 Qb, etc)

That's good advice, and you bring up another really good point. It really does matter where you are positioned in the first round of the draft.  In our draft, we pull #'s out of a hat every year to choose your draft spot.  I've never gotten #1 but I have found I really like being 5 in a 10 team league, because you are in the middle of everything.  I think I would rather have 5 than 1. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2016, 02:58 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: That's good advice, and you bring up another really good point. It really does matter where you are positioned in the first round of the draft.  In our draft, we pull #'s out of a hat every year to choose your draft spot.  I've never gotten #1 but I have found I really like being 5 in a 10 team league, because you are in the middle of everything.  I think I would rather have 5 than 1. 

1-3 or 7-10 is great this year.  But don't reach.  The best advice I have gotten over the years is let the draft come to you.  If you have a few people you want don't be afraid to grab them. For example I might be willing to draft Lamar miller 4th overall after the top 3 relievers. That is a reach based on adp but his upside is ridiculous and he would be a top 5 pick any other year.

I also create tiers of group of players and use that. That way you are drafting based on expectations and not on names.

Lastly, have an opinion on all top 100 guys that way when it comes draft day you can quickly identify who you like over the other. For example id take Mike Evans over Allen Robinson , but most people wouldn't based on last year. Factor in td regression and jags focus on running and defense they won't be throwing the ball as much. Factor in Evans won't only have 3 td again and he is almost a sure thing to finish well ahead of robinson.
Reply/Quote