Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Pattern is Emerging
In 2021 the Bengals had some slow starts and wild finishes and more often than not they came away with a win. The last time this happened was in the AFC Championship; unfortunately the Rams figured things out and won the Super Bowl. What did the Rams do? They played Cover One and Cover Two and took away the big play.

Guess what? The Steelers and Cowboys played mostly Cover Two thereby taking away the big play — and the Jets and Dolphins will do the same this week and the next. The Rams won 23-20, the Steelers won 23-20, and the Cowboys won 20-17. The last three games were lost by three points each but in actual fact the games were only close because the Cincinnati defense played well; not fantastic but “good enough.”

With Joe Burrow, Ja’Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, Joe Mixon, Hayden Hurst, and Tyler Boyd one might think the Bengals should be able to score more than 20 points per game but unfortunately that’s wishful thinking. The offensive line is so putrid only a few play calls can be made safely.

This offense is a sitting, wounded duck. It’s a national embarrassment. Did Zac Taylor learn nothing from Sean McVay?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The coaches and players are paid millions to figure this out. We are not the only team facing these types of defenses. Our gang needs to get their heads out of their asses and figure it out.

Reply/Quote
We get it, teams are playing cover 2.

It's not all on the OL. It's just as much on play calling - which IMO has been a bigger issue.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 04:39 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We get it, teams are playing cover 2.

Think of a jock strap Zac Taylor...adjust adjust adjust!
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 04:36 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: In 2021 the Bengals had some slow starts and wild finishes and more often than not they came away with a win.  The last time this happened was in the AFC Championship; unfortunately the Rams figured things out and won the Super Bowl.  What did the Rams do?  They played Cover One and Cover Two and took away the big play.  

Guess what?  The Steelers and Cowboys played mostly Cover Two thereby taking away the big play — and the Jets and Dolphins will do the same this week and the next.  The Rams won 23-20, the Steelers won 23-20, and the Cowboys won 20-17. The last three games were lost by three points each but in actual fact the games were only close because the Cincinnati defense played well; not fantastic but “good enough.”

With Joe Burrow, Ja’Marr Chase, Tee Higgins, Joe Mixon, Hayden Hurst, and Tyler Boyd one might think the Bengals should be able to score more than 20 points per game but unfortunately that’s wishful thinking.  The offensive line is so putrid only a few play calls can be made safely.

This offense is a sitting, wounded duck. It’s a national embarrassment.  Did Zac Taylor learn nothing from Sean McVay?

I know I'm drastically jumping ahead, but at what record midway through the season or at the end of the season would (or should) the Bengals consider moving on from Taylor?

I'd lean toward if the team already had 6+ losses by the Bye week (3-6 or worse), or double-digit losses by season's end.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Idk why the team is having such a hard time running the ball. All of the linemen except Karras are better run blockers than pass blockers.

Frank Pollack is also run game coordinator, right?
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 04:49 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Idk why the team is having such a hard time running the ball. All of the linemen except Karras are better run blockers than pass blockers.

One word (or in this case, name), Mixon.
Reply/Quote
Bulletin: A pattern done emerged.

This was known by half way through last season. But game after game we come in with no effective game plan to deal with it. We muddle through the first half and by the second half Burrow is like, "F* it, I'm slinging this thing."

We could clearly see that lack of protection was a problem so we hoped that things would change with the money spent on the Oline. But everyone knows that an Oline takes time to "gel." And everyone knows that a rookie guard will be challenged against an all-pro. But we're content to keep them all in bubble wrap and throw them in the fire on opening day against a team with game wrecking Dline talent. So now as we scramble to fix the problems every D smells blood in the water: Cover 2 and pressure the QB.

So the pattern that has emerged (not "is emerging") is that Zac Taylor's offense is chronically unprepared against even the most obvious defensive game plan.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 04:59 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: One word (or in this case, name), Mixon.

wrong. We had this discussion yesterday. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 05:05 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: wrong. We had this discussion yesterday. 

You can have all the discussions you like but it answers your question. Stats don't lie.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 04:49 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Idk why the team is having such a hard time running the ball. All of the linemen except Karras are better run blockers than pass blockers.

Yep, Pollack is the run game coordinator.
The run game is working real well on the right side, but it's below average on the left side.
Mixon isn't making hardly any defenders miss tackles though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 04:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I know I'm drastically jumping ahead, but at what record midway through the season or at the end of the season would (or should) the Bengals consider moving on from Taylor?

I'd lean toward if the team already had 6+ losses by the Bye week (3-6 or worse), or double-digit losses by season's end.

You got him for four more years minimum.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 04:39 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We get it, teams are playing cover 2.

It's not all on the OL. It's just as much on play calling - which IMO has been a bigger issue.

So you get it, and I get it, but the team doesn’t seem to get it. Adapt and play to counter the defense that you’re seeing. When the offense has been successful this year, it’s been on short-intermediate routes, but they don’t stay committed to it.

Taylor has come in with very poor game plans…not just this year, but all last year as well. This is why the offense has terribly slow starts and they’re always digging out of a hole. They’ve been decent at the halftime adjustments, but it’s not always going to be enough when you are down 2-3 scores in the 2nd half.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 05:24 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You got him for four more years minimum.  

I wish he would resign. 

I would think several NFL coordinators and college coaches would be begging to have an interview to be the Bengals HC with the talent on this team. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 04:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I know I'm drastically jumping ahead, but at what record midway through the season or at the end of the season would (or should) the Bengals consider moving on from Taylor?

Firing Zac in the middle of the season would be a major overreaction. Though only way I would fire him is if we are guaranteed to get Sean Payton. Other than that you keep Zac no matter whatm
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Is the pattern you’re talking about the one where we lose a couple games and everyone loses their minds? As of right now we are a very similar team to last year—why is this so shocking?

Maybe we all expected the line to be better than it is. I get that. Our line isn’t good. But we really should have seen this coming with all the new faces. Give them some time to gel a bit and settle into the scheme. They could still end up being good.

The coaching is concerning, but that can improve too. If we didn’t make the run we did last year in the playoffs I wouldn’t be so optimistic. But we proved last year we can beat anybody with or without an offensive line. This gives me some hope we can turn things around—but the line and coaching need to improve.

We could certainly flop and miss the playoffs with such a tough schedule. If that happens I would assume some big changes would be in order and if those changes didn’t happen fans would have reason to be upset. Until that happens I’ll continue to have the attitude that anything can happen from here—and that I would venture to guess we see improvement from now to the end of the year.
Reply/Quote

They just extended him @ $8 million a year. If they fire him, they have to pay him in full.

The only scenario he leaves under is if Nebraska offers him a huge deal. They won't though.
Reply/Quote

Taylor like Forrest Gregg and Sam Wyche took the Bengals to super bowl and I think he signed a new contract, Taylor is going nowhere.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 06:43 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Taylor like Forrest Gregg and Sam Wyche took the Bengals to super bowl and I think he signed a new contract, Taylor is going nowhere.  

Taylor owed around 30 million after this year. Not happening
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I don't want to fire Zac HC. I want to fire Zac OC.
Reply/Quote