Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A SCOTUS Opening
Obviously there's a thread going on about the passing of RBG and I didn't what to hijack it anyone with internal squabbling. So I started this thread to discuss who you think POTUS would/should nominate and all the shady shit that will go down during it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My money's on Amy Coney Barrett and I think Trump and the GOP will try to frame it as a tribute to RBG.

Reply/Quote
The smart pick for Trump would be Lagoa. She's been heavily vetted numerous times, so no skeletons in the closet likely to crop up. She's been a bench officer for a long time so experience isn't an issue. She's also Hispanic and I think the nomination would seal Florida for Trump. She'd also be extremely difficult for the Dems to attack for all the reasons just listed.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:40 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The smart pick for Trump would be Lagoa.  She's been heavily vetted numerous times, so no skeletons in the closet likely to crop up.  She's been a bench officer for a long time so experience isn't an issue.  She's also Hispanic and I think the nomination would seal Florida for Trump.  She'd also be extremely difficult for the Dems to attack for all the reasons just listed.

Oh, they'll find SOME reason why she's unfit for the court, I'm sure.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Oh, they'll find SOME reason why she's unfit for the court, I'm sure.

Of course.  The trick is to make them damage their chances on election day by trying to find it.  That's why Lagoa is the smart choice.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:54 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Of course.  The trick is to make them damage their chances on election day by trying to find it.  That's why Lagoa is the smart choice.

Trump should set up an American idol style vote system for the next SCOTUS justice.  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:58 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Trump should set up an American idol style vote system for the next SCOTUS justice.  Smirk

And then award the seat to the person who comes in 2nd place?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 01:40 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The smart pick for Trump would be Lagoa.  She's been heavily vetted numerous times, so no skeletons in the closet likely to crop up.  She's been a bench officer for a long time so experience isn't an issue.  She's also Hispanic and I think the nomination would seal Florida for Trump.  She'd also be extremely difficult for the Dems to attack for all the reasons just listed.

All good points. It also couldn't hurt with the Hispanic vote Nationally. 

Reply/Quote
Trump is on the record for saying you can't trust a judge with a Mexican heritage.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Trump is on the record for saying you can't trust a judge with a Mexican heritage.

Good thing she's Cuban then, eh?  

Nice self own. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Trump is on the record for saying you can't trust a judge with a Mexican heritage.

Logoa is of Cuban decent.

Another reason she's be hard for the Dems to find fault with is the fact that she was overwhelmingly approved by the Senate just one year ago. 

Reply/Quote

Did he say you couldn't trust A judge with a Mexican heritage or did he say a specific judge wouldn't rule fairly because he or she was Mexican?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: All good points. It also couldn't hurt with the Hispanic vote Nationally. 

Lordy, the idea of RBG dying and then being replaced by a Trump-appointed judge which he then uses to leverage a 2nd term is just an amazingly brutal gut-punch to liberals.  I wouldn't blame the collective ideology for completely tapping out of politics if that happens.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Lordy, the idea of RBG dying and then being replaced by a Trump-appointed judge which he then uses to leverage a 2nd term is just an amazingly brutal gut-punch to liberals.  I wouldn't blame the collective ideology for completely tapping out of politics if that happens.

You do have to wonder why she didn't retire during Obama's tenure.  I guess she was betting heavily on Hillary winning in 2016.  I actually feel bad for her because she probably wanted to retire years ago and couldn't.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Did he say you couldn't trust A judge with a Mexican heritage or did he say a specific judge wouldn't rule fairly because he or she was Mexican?

What is the difference? 

If he says it is because of the heritage then it applies to all judges with that heritage.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 02:07 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Good thing she's Cuban then, eh?  

Nice self own. Hilarious

You used the term "Hispanic".  That includes both Mexicans and Cubans.

Do you really want to start a heated debate over how Trump trusts Cubans but not Mexicans?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You used the term "Hispanic".  That includes both Mexicans and Cubans.

Correct, I used the term Hispanic.  You used the term Mexican.  She is not of Mexican decent.

Quote:Do you really want to start a heated debate over how Trump trusts Cubans but not Mexicans?

If we had one it certainly wouldn't be heated.  Just know that many Hispanics are very offended when people assume they are Mexican.  My girlfriend is Puerto Rican and she hates it.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:26 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Correct, I used the term Hispanic.  

You can't use the term "Hispanic" if you mean to exclude Mexicans.  Mexicans are Hispanic.  The judge Trump said we could not trust is Hispanic.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't use the term "Hispanic" if you mean to exclude Mexicans.  Mexicans are Hispanic.  The judge Trump said we could not trust is Hispanic.

This discussion is silly.  You made a mistake, just own it an move on.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 03:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This discussion is silly.  You made a mistake, just own it an move on.

But, SSF, fred reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally wants to call Trump a racist without overtly calling him a racist!!!
Reply/Quote