Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Star Born?
(10-20-2022, 01:57 PM)Joelist Wrote: Tufele and Carter will once they get more game speed reps under their belts combine with Hill and Reader to give us a gonzo interior DL rotation.

Isn't that a pron genre??  Shocked
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 01:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ditto, but I'm not complaining about Tufele having that roster spot over him.

well when you can;t break into Jacksonville WR core and you have the game Tufele had, good call by our front office
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 01:47 PM)Synric Wrote: Jay Tufele was a 5 star recruit to USC. He started 5 games his redshirt freshman year and rotated in the rest. He became a full time starter for 13 games his Sophomore year. His Junior year was Covid year and was drafted that spring.

He was very raw with only 18 college starts under his belt but the 5 star talent is there.

The Covid year really made it hard to gage these guys correctly for teams and probably slowed many players progress momentarily and for good for some even. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
If Tufele really works out this will not be the first time we filched a good player off Jacksonville - remember Reggie Nelson? They were determined to make him a CB but Zim saw him as a Free Safety - Zim was right.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 01:14 AM)jj22 Wrote: Bengals Film Room: Jay Tufele

Awesome thread man and thanks for this vid and breakdown. Watching this afterwards really makes me think we 
got a diamond in the rough here in Jay Tufele. Like he says, his balance, strength, flexibility, eyes and hands are just
very impressive in all of these snaps. The way he can take on a double team here and it hardly affecting him, reminds
me of Reader honestly. 

What a great grab is all I can say right when we needed him. Only a few snaps but damn, impressive and really looking
forward to seeing what Jay does tomorrow against another top running team in the Falcons.

Need to add this, reps JJ22. Rock On  
Reply/Quote
As the game was going on, my eyes told me he had a great game. This video goes into great detail about what he did so well and how it resulted in his great game.

I remember feeling we got legitimate players at roster cut down this season with Scharping and Tufele (and Asiasi to a lesser extent), so I'm glad he had his chance to shine.

Hopefully, this is just a sign of things to come!
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 02:01 PM)hollodero Wrote: That was a great video. One I could actually learn stuff from. Thanks for that.

Are there any similar videos around? I tried to click the respective youtube channel but can only find older short clips...

I don't know why he does this, but John keeps all of his videos unlisted (You can see it's marked that way right under the title of the video when you're watching it), so you can only view them if you have the URL for the video itself. I guess he just wanted to reference his Youtube videos as part of his articles so he doesn't intend to develop an audience on Youtube, but I don't know what he gains from keeping them unlisted.

He also has marked his channel for kids, so you can't save his videos on your own personal watch later or any other playlists (unless you go to  your watch history and click on the 3 dots to add it to a playlist rather than opening the video, which is a little trick I discovered a while back when my son wanted to watch the same videos over and over again but they were all restricted from being put on playlists because they were listed for kids).

I can't tell if these two things are things he does intentionally for some reason or if he's just bad at Youtube uploading.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 10:01 AM)kalibengal Wrote: as a USC fan, I thought this guy was awsome in college...Im glad to see a change of scenery maybe what the Dr ordered 

I scouted him and thought he was a really good fit in Cincinnati.  I think the Bengals had him on their radar as well.  

PFF had him at an overall score of 64.9, but a 72.2 on tackling.  I was a little surprised at that score, as his name kept showing up when I was taking notes (in a good way).  He was in the upper 50s on pass rush, which I think pulled down his score. 

He wasn't really being asked to rush the passer, but to help stuff the run, which he did quite well.  I would be very surprised if Shelvin contributes remotely as well as he did.

They were running a 5 man front a lot with Hubbard, Carter, Hill, Tufele, and Hendrickson/Ossai.  I think we will see this a lot against Atlanta as well, with Ossai kicking inside on pass rush downs.  I could see Hill staying out there for almost every snap and moving around when Shelvin comes in.  The key to defending the Atlanta rush is the Mariotta read-option outside runs.  The ends have to stay home and force it inside and the LBs have to support quickly.  
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2022, 10:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I scouted him and thought he was a really good fit in Cincinnati.  I think the Bengals had him on their radar as well.  

PFF had him at an overall score of 64.9, but a 72.2 on tackling.  I was a little surprised at that score, as his name kept showing up when I was taking notes (in a good way).  He was in the upper 50s on pass rush, which I think pulled down his score. 

He wasn't really being asked to rush the passer, but to help stuff the run, which he did quite well.  I would be very surprised if Shelvin contributes remotely as well as he did.

They were running a 5 man front a lot with Hubbard, Carter, Hill, Tufele, and Hendrickson/Ossai.  I think we will see this a lot against Atlanta as well, with Ossai kicking inside on pass rush downs.  I could see Hill staying out there for almost every snap and moving around when Shelvin comes in.  The key to defending the Atlanta rush is the Mariotta read-option outside runs.  The ends have to stay home and force it inside and the LBs have to support quickly.  

Great post SHRacer. Honestly Tufele wasn't on my radar in that Draft and I didn't watch much of USC that season
but when we added him, I was impressed by his career in such a short time of playing football and then I heard that
the Bengals had him on their radar before Shelvin who they took cause Tufele got taken ahead of us by the Jags.

When watching his film, his leverage and strength are impressive along with his low pad level and the way he sheds
the blocks while having his eyes on the RB, pretty impressive bag of tricks this guy has.

Spot on about our 5 man front and the way we need to play this Falcons team man, spot on.
Reply/Quote
Another 6 tackles for Tufele again today. Totally made the guard whiff again to make a tackle in the backfield.
Reply/Quote
He's always the first guy off the ball at the snap. Really quick.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Heck of a pick up.... poor Jags
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 04:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: If Tufele really works out this will not be the first time we filched a good player off Jacksonville  - remember Reggie Nelson? They were determined to make him a CB but Zim saw him as a Free Safety - Zim was right.

First gonzo and now this? 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2022, 10:55 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: First gonzo and now this? 

Just google it, y’all.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2022, 10:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I scouted him and thought he was a really good fit in Cincinnati.  I think the Bengals had him on their radar as well.  

Shelving is horrendous he should honestly be waived. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2022, 01:31 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Shelving is horrendous he should honestly be waived. 

I won't say I specifically watched him but I remember a couple snaps of him slow off the ball controlled and turned by a single blocker and thats at like 350lbs+. At this point they should just bring up that kid from the USFL they have on the PS Domenique Davis.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Someone said the Bengals wanted him, but JAX beat them to the punch, so they settled on Shelvin.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2022, 10:21 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He's always the first guy off the ball at the snap. Really quick.

I was watching for this very thing, as he was inconsistent in college at times getting out quickly after the snap.   He actually looks better at this than he was in college, at least thus far during his Bengal tenure.   
Reply/Quote
The Bengals better watch out, before you know it people will accuse their scouting department of improving, specifically as it pertains to picking up DTs from other teams. Last year they landed BJ Hill and Larry Ogujobi, and now Tufele this year?

Really excited that Tufele is playing so well right out of the box, as I admittedly was a bit unsure of him when they picked him up.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2022, 01:57 PM)Joelist Wrote: Tufele and Carter will once they get more game speed reps under their belts combine with Hill and Reader to give us a gonzo interior DL rotation.

Carter was better last game, but has been mostly terrible so far. 

Early days, though. 
Reply/Quote