Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Toast to the Old Guard
(01-14-2022, 08:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good post, but ya kinda stole my thunder. LOL

I was gonna post a congrats to everyone who stuck by the team through the 90s - present, if we win tomorrow. Been a long time coming for some of us.

I'm 40 years old, became a fan in 1994 and don't remember any playoff wins.

Jealously is not an emotion I experience, but since my fandom started in 1988 I am jealous you suffered 4 less years in the '90s than I did.  Hilarious

This ends today, Burrow is getting us a W!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Thank you for this nice post.

My Dad was literally among the first 20 people standing in line in 1967
( or whenever they opened)

Never forget watching Cook hit long passes to Trumpy at Nippert and sitting in the green seats on the 20 yard line at Riverfront.

Lost to the current generation- the Bengals were actually a top team while Paul Brown was alive. In those days I would have almost bet my life that there was no way we could go 31 years without a playoff win.

Start of a new great era today! If or when we lose it will be because of our poor o line. That can be fixed for a QB with Montana Rodgers potential. Fun times coming.
Reply/Quote
I have worked and lived all over the country. By some strange twist of luck I was visiting Cincinnati and attended the game versus Houston for our last win. I flew all the way from living in Phoenix to attend the game where Carson got his leg broken. I will be there today. Fingers crossed it's been a long time coming. Who Dey
Reply/Quote
The first game I attended was in 1972 against the Baltimore Colts, who had some QB in his final years by the name of Unitas. My cousin was the education curator at the Cincinnati Zoo and he snuck me on the truck carrying Benzoo, the Bengal tiger into Riverfront Stadium. I was on the field the whole game and recall thinking how damned big those players were as they went by me on the field. I've been a fan since I was six and the Bengals began their existence. I still have a football (white leather, signed with orange pen...of course) signed by the entire team in 1970 and gifted to me by that same cousin.

It's been too long since the Bengals won a game in the playoffs. It's time. Don't let me down boys!
Reply/Quote
I've been watching for 40 years now.  First game I saw was Bills-Bengals playoff game in 81/82 season when I was 6 and I've been a fan ever since.  I pretty much had to follow them in Sports Illustrated and the newspaper until the 88 season when they were on TV more.  

Things started to take a turn for the worse in the 90's and I rarely saw the Bengals on TV, except on ESPN Primetime highlights listening to Berman cut them to pieces every week (I still hate that guy for that).  I think it was around 94 when I found internet radio and started listening to the game on 1360 Homer radio.  Those were the days! I think I got more excited listening and using my imagination then I ever did watching the game.

In 1997, my local sports bar gets the NFL Ticket, Boomer comes back and wins all those games and retires.  Fast forward another 7 years and Palmer saves the franchise.  Then the Dalton years and now Burrow.  Been a hell of a ride all these years, but I sure would like to see us come out on top.  Just once.

Maybe today will be the start of that.  I can only hope.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 08:45 PM)QueenCity Wrote: My heart can't take another L and the wait of another season.  It's gotta be NOW

You're 30 and your heart can't take it? Man up! In the immortal words of...Oh wait..See below.. 

You'll live through it win, lose or tie, but I just had an angioplasty and stent put in yesterday so I might not..  Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Yep....been there as long as I can remember. I even remember a game in the 70s that got my dad so mad he broke the foot rest on a recliner during a game, he kicked it right in two! My mom was so mad she made him fix it right then! Good times.....good times. Please win today Bengals, get this darn money off of our back.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 12:57 PM)grampahol Wrote: You're 30 and your heart can't take it? Man up! In the immortal words of...Oh wait..See below.. 

You'll live through it win, lose or tie, but I just had an angioplasty and stent put in yesterday so I might not..  Cool

I feel ya... the Steelers game almost broke me though.  The rise of emotions into despair that stadium went through was horrible.

Who Dey! This time is different 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I was born in January of 1970 and I became a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals in 1975. Most of my relatives rooted for the Browns or Steelers but not me. I got a Bengals windbreaker for my sixth birthday and wore it faithfully. I remember Paul Brown, Virgil Carter, Bob Trumpy, Essex Johnson, Chip Myers, Tommy Casanova, Bill Bergey, Ken Riley, Lemar Parrish, Ken Avery, Neal Craig, and all of those players in the first decade.

When I was seven my father took me to Wilmington College to watch training camp; I was enthralled. How did Dave Lewis punt the ball that high?
Reply/Quote
Going back to school on Monday after the Bengals lost in the Super Bowl was hard. Only Bengals fan in a Maryland school, everyone knew....everyone had jokes. All the way into adulthood. Been a rough couple of months, personally. It is time. It is now.

For my Bengals Starter jacket and Boomer Esiason rookie card, WHO DEY!!!
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
My entire life, 40 years a Bengal fan. Never once waned from my fandom but had to pick teams I liked going into the play offs most of tge tine.

Hopefully that ends today.

Tough game but they can win with this team. Who Dey! Beat them Raiders!
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2022, 01:51 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I was born in January of 1970 and I became a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals in 1975.  Most of my relatives rooted for the Browns or Steelers but not me.  I got a Bengals windbreaker for my sixth birthday and wore it faithfully.  I remember Paul Brown, Virgil Carter, Bob Trumpy, Essex Johnson, Chip Myers, Tommy Casanova, Bill Bergey, Ken Riley, Lemar Parrish, Ken Avery, Neal Craig, and all of those players in the first decade.  

When I was seven my father took me to Wilmington College to watch training camp; I was enthralled.  How did Dave Lewis punt the ball that high?

During a school field trip we were at fountain square but i can't remember the year or why. There were Bengals players there and a lot of people so it was some kind of celebration (probably had to do with SB16). 

Some rando kid gave Pat McInally a nerf football and when he kicked it, i thought it was going to soar right over those buildings. I couldn't believe a human could kick something that high and far and it was a freaking Nerf.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote