Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Very Bengals-esque Offseason
(01-22-2021, 09:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Don't you think Mackenzie Alexander would be the slot corner, since you have him being re-signed?   Or is that a one-year transition deal to Samuel?  That makes sense if that is what you were thinking.

I don't know what to think of Waynes, but I am sure not comfortable with him coming in having not taken a snap in over a year and a half.  Plus, I think his injury and BS leading up to it is a bit suspect.  

My vision was actually Waynes and WSJ on the outside with Alexander in the slot, and then Phillips is CB4 who can play both outside and inside.
I could also see Phillips and Waynes outside with Alexander in the slot and WSJ as CB4 who fills in for whoever happens to be out.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 07:51 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: What about Jackson ?  do you cut him or resign him

Like William Jackson? He's a FA, and I have him going elsewhere in this mock.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2021, 07:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Like William Jackson? He's a FA, and I have him going elsewhere in this mock.

I agree I think Jackson is gone. I think they'll draft a CB and start Phillips outside this year.
Reply/Quote
I like the draft a lot. I think trading down is a great option—and will do more to make our team better. Great job with the picks!

To weigh in on the Gio debate. I don’t see the point in cutting him as there is no way to replace his blitz pickup ability. He’s valuable for his third down role alone. And he’s great with the ball in space, and a solid runner. And he doesn’t fumble. Yeah, you can cut him and save 3 mil (would have to sign someone to replace him). It doesn’t seem worth it when you factor in his leadership. Let him play out his contract. I like the strategy of developing players that then beat out veterans as opposed to cutting veterans, then looking for their replacement. Obviously it’s not possible all the time—but it is in this case.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 03:39 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I like the draft a lot. I think trading down is a great option—and will do more to make our team better. Great job with the picks!

To weigh in on the Gio debate. I don’t see the point in cutting him as there is no way to replace his blitz pickup ability. He’s valuable for his third down role alone. And he’s great with the ball in space, and a solid runner. And he doesn’t fumble. Yeah, you can cut him and save 3 mil (would have to sign someone to replace him). It doesn’t seem worth it when you factor in his leadership. Let him play out his contract. I like the strategy of developing players that then beat out veterans as opposed to cutting veterans, then looking for their replacement. Obviously it’s not possible all the time—but it is in this case.

No need to sign anyone if we cut Gio. We have traveon in waiting who is ready to go. We'd just need to draft one late or bring up Patrick from the PS.  I'd be happy with drafting Kylin Hill RB Miss St.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 04:18 AM)pulses Wrote: No need to sign anyone if we cut Gio. We have traveon in waiting who is ready to go. We'd just need to draft one late or bring up Patrick from the PS.  I'd be happy with drafting Kylin Hill RB Miss St.

How has Traveon done in blitz pickup?
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 01:35 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: How has Traveon done in blitz pickup?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/trayveon-williams-looks-to-rise-up-in-a-crowded-backfield/ar-BB17B0Ky

Williams is a true modern running back. Although he is an extremely talented rusher, his strengths are in the pass game.

He is an excellent pass blocker and skilled receiver, with natural hands and an impressive ability to pick up extra yards once the ball is in his hands.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 08:24 PM)pulses Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/trayveon-williams-looks-to-rise-up-in-a-crowded-backfield/ar-BB17B0Ky

Williams is a true modern running back. Although he is an extremely talented rusher, his strengths are in the pass game.

He is an excellent pass blocker and skilled receiver, with natural hands and an impressive ability to pick up extra yards once the ball is in his hands.

That’s all good. But how has he done in an actual game in blitz pickup. Scouting reports are scouting reports. I was looking for more of a reference to actual NFL plays. Not trying to belittle your argument at all. I’m just looking for reason to believe. Got any clips or games you can reference?
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 01:56 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: That’s all good. But how has he done in an actual game in blitz pickup. Scouting reports are scouting reports. I was looking for more of a reference to actual NFL plays. Not trying to belittle your argument at all. I’m just looking for reason to believe. Got any clips or games you can reference?

I looked around and couldn't find anything. They've not played him enough to showcase what he can do. I'm fairly certain since he was good at it in college he would be pretty decent here since he's learned from Gio and others.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 01:56 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: That’s all good. But how has he done in an actual game in blitz pickup. Scouting reports are scouting reports. I was looking for more of a reference to actual NFL plays. Not trying to belittle your argument at all. I’m just looking for reason to believe. Got any clips or games you can reference?

Not sure how much you value PFF, but here was the pass-blocking grade for each of the RBs:
Bernard - 73.0
Williams - 69.7
Mixon - 60.6
Perine - 59.2

As you can see, Williams is about on the same level as Bernard. The caveat is he was only used in 8 pass-blocking snaps compared to Bernard's 72. So there's hope that he can be about as Gio in the pass protection game.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 12:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not sure how much you value PFF, but here was the pass-blocking grade for each of the RBs:
Bernard - 73.0
Williams - 69.7
Mixon - 60.6
Perine - 59.2

As you can see, Williams is about on the same level as Bernard. The caveat is he was only used in 8 pass-blocking snaps compared to Bernard's 72. So there's hope that he can be about as Gio in the pass protection game.

Definitely sounds promising. I’d like to see him get some more snaps this year and then let Bernard walk next offseason.

I want to see this organization do everything they can to protect Burrow this year. Bernard definitely can play a huge role in protecting him. Obviously need to upgrade the oline as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 04:00 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Definitely sounds promising. I’d like to see him get some more snaps this year and then let Bernard walk next offseason.

I want to see this organization do everything they can to protect Burrow this year. Bernard definitely can play a huge role in protecting him. Obviously need to upgrade the oline as well.

If you're constantly using your RB and TE to help pass block, that reduces the number of pass catching options.
It's been necessary the past couple years now for TE and RB to do that because of bad OL, but the real hope is the Bengals upgrade the OL enough that they can have the RB and/or TE go out for passes more often.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote