Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A down year in the NFL?
Seems to be the Bengals are missing a great opportunity to get into the playoffs with the NFL having a "down" year.

Each division has their studs, Philly, NE, Pitt, Minnesota....some average teams and then those just scraping to keep their head above water at .500 and make the playoffs.........

If the season ended today Buff and Tennessee would be in, lets be honest these teams have a lot of flaws (heck Buffalo just benched their starting QB)...........

I guess my point is a 9-7 season or even 8-8 season might get a team in.......

Oh what could have been........
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 01:04 PM)corpjet Wrote: Seems to be the Bengals are missing a great opportunity to get into the playoffs with the NFL having a "down" year.

Each division has their studs, Philly, NE, Pitt, Minnesota....some average teams and then those just scraping to keep their head above water at .500 and make the playoffs.........

If the season ended today Buff and Tennessee would be in, lets be honest these teams have a lot of flaws (heck Buffalo just benched their starting QB)...........

Instead the FO decided to ignore the oline in hopes that two guys who showed little to nothing last year would magically improve to average NFL tackles. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 01:04 PM)corpjet Wrote: Seems to be the Bengals are missing a great opportunity to get into the playoffs with the NFL having a "down" year.

I see what you are saying, but we were a playoff team 6 times in 7 years until 2016 so when it comes to letting AFC teams into the playoffs we are the ones doing the "letting in" rather than the "taking advantage."  

Miami and Oakland took advantage of our down year in 2016 and it looks like Buffalo or Tennessee or some other "we should be there, not them" sort of team will do it this year.  Down year for the NFL?  Well, it sure is a down year for us. Plus, with Marvin at the helm we've never missed the playoff any season we've managed 9 wins so I'd say we've had our fortunes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
More specifically down year for the AFC. In the AFC there are the Pats, Steelers, Chiefs, and everybody else.

The NFC has the Eagles, Saints, Vikings, Rams, and Seahawks, and if it weren't for injuries and bogus suspensions you could throw in Green Bay and Dallas as big power players as well.

Per usual, our front office and coaching staff have squandered yet another year. A team with this much talent should have been in the running for a playoff bye, rather than a top 5 pick.
Reply/Quote

Eh, wouldn't win a playoff game if we got in anyways with Marv.
Reply/Quote
Meh. Let's be honest, even if we went 12-4 and got a home playoff game, we'd still wind up getting embarrassed by one of these "flawed" teams like Tennessee or Buffalo.

Just think about 2013 when we played a weak Chargers team at PBS. This team just melts come playoff time. Or Steelers week, or prime time.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 01:04 PM)corpjet Wrote: Oh what could have been........

Even if they could have slipped into the playoffs with a crap record, they would still be one of the worst teams in there, and would have been bounced early. 

This team missed all sorts of legit opportunities during their stretch of consecutive playoff appearances, this season not so much.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote

This team lost being a contender when Hue left the building.  The offense has been predictable, pathetic, and putrid.  The defense was solid, but they have reverted back to the "don't give up a big play" scheme a la Chuck Breshnahan.  They are now one of the worst in the league.  

The sad part is, I honestly believe it isn't the offensive line PLAYERS as much as what they are being told to do.  The scheme is high-school awful and defenses know what is happening right down to the gap of rush attempts.  

The only hope for a win the rest of the year is the roster-stripped Browns, and hoping that a team is so flat coming in to the game because they don't fear the Bengals at all that they get beat with a couple early big plays.  

When I watch this team play, it literally makes me want to vomit.  The weakest approach to winning a football game I have ever witnessed at any level.  

They have some pass rush studs that sit on the bench until third and long, (which rarely happens unless someone falls down on their own) and then the DBs are a mile off in coverage which gives the QB an easy, unguarded target.  They will never learn how to cover tight if we are always a mile off in coverage.  I hope the entire coaching staff is set on fire and we get lucky with the next coach.  That next coach has to have some serious balls because the testicular mass of this entire staff can't be seen with an electron microscope.  
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 07:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. Let's be honest, even if we went 12-4 and got a home playoff game, we'd still wind up getting embarrassed by one of these "flawed" teams like Tennessee or Buffalo.

Just think about 2013 when we played a weak Chargers team at PBS. This team just melts come playoff time. Or Steelers week, or prime time.

I agree. Even when we have fired on all cylinders, the coaching has been the missing link every time. Poor game planning. Poor 2nd half adjustments. Poor play calling, clock mgmt, etc, etc...

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 08:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This team lost being a contender when Hue left the building.  The offense has been predictable, pathetic, and putrid.  The defense was solid, but they have reverted back to the "don't give up a big play" scheme a la Chuck Breshnahan.  They are now one of the worst in the league.  

The sad part is, I honestly believe it isn't the offensive line PLAYERS as much as what they are being told to do.  The scheme is high-school awful and defenses know what is happening right down to the gap of rush attempts.  

The only hope for a win the rest of the year is the roster-stripped Browns, and hoping that a team is so flat coming in to the game because they don't fear the Bengals at all that they get beat with a couple early big plays.  

When I watch this team play, it literally makes me want to vomit.  The weakest approach to winning a football game I have ever witnessed at any level.  

They have some pass rush studs that sit on the bench until third and long, (which rarely happens unless someone falls down on their own) and then the DBs are a mile off in coverage which gives the QB an easy, unguarded target.  They will never learn how to cover tight if we are always a mile off in coverage.  I hope the entire coaching staff is set on fire and we get lucky with the next coach.  That next coach has to have some serious balls because the testicular mass of this entire staff can't be seen with an electron microscope.  

In the grand scheme of things we don't even qualify to be an NFL team. When you refer to HS level football, you are accurate. As many have stated in many threads, Marvins game may have been valid years ago, but the NFL opponents study and adapt and the next thing you know what worked works no longer. We we're always somewhat predictable on many levels. Now we are so transparent you actually would think Marvin Fed-Ex's the other team exactly what he is going to do and when. 

Reply/Quote
Ok so we are all in agreement, for the most part we have and have HAD the talent.....whats been our kryptonite is the our coaching.......is it 2018 yet?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I am not a soccer person, but I know there are some on here that are, so I would like their thoughts on doing what some European leagues (all of them? One? I don't know...) do by having different tiers of competition within their league. We take the top 20 teams in the NFL and call them the "A" tier. The bottom 12, like us, would play in the "B" tier. And at the end of each season teams move up or down tiers based on their performance that season.

I'd bet we'd be a 6-3 team at this point in the B tier this year. Who Dey.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 07:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. Let's be honest, even if we went 12-4 and got a home playoff game, we'd still wind up getting embarrassed by one of these "flawed" teams like Tennessee or Buffalo.

And just think..there are still people who believe that was mere coincidence.. I'm convinced that it took planning at the highest levels. The Bengals post season record is no coincidence. Nobody can be that accidentally stupid and still get that rich without a plan in place. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 02:07 PM)grampahol Wrote: And just think..there are still people who believe that was mere coincidence.. I'm convinced that it took planning at the highest levels. The Bengals post season record is no coincidence. Nobody can be that accidentally stupid and still get that rich without a plan in place. 

I'm not sure about conspiracies, but you'd think Marv would've lucked into a win at least once. 0-7...? 0-4 at PBS? Totally smacked around in 5 of those?

Why do we fall apart in every aspect? Palmer, Kitna, Dalton and Mac have been serviceable to good passers. We've had decent run games some of those years. We've had an elite defense that really gets after the passer and does a good job against the run. We've had some solid pass blocking lines. All of that has disappeared come playoff time and we morph into the 90's Bengals.

It really is hard to figure out. I tend to place the most blame on Marvin because he's been the one constant.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 03:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm not sure about conspiracies, but you'd think Marv would've lucked into a win at least once. 0-7...? 0-4 at PBS? Totally smacked around in 5 of those?

Why do we fall apart in every aspect? Palmer, Kitna, Dalton and Mac have been serviceable to good passers. We've had decent run games some of those years. We've had an elite defense that really gets after the passer and does a good job against the run. We've had some solid pass blocking lines. All of that has disappeared come playoff time and we morph into the 90's Bengals.

It really is hard to figure out. I tend to place the most blame on Marvin because he's been the one constant.

In 2015 the Jets were the favorite to make the playoffs and only had to beat the lousy Bills in order to play us in the post-season in Cincy.  I figured Fitzpatrick would play pretty horribly in his only post-season game and throw 4 INTs and we'd win by default.  Sadly, he had his 4 INT meltdown a week early and lost to the Bills which then led to the Steelers getting to the playoffs by default and we all know the rest.

That was our "Can't fail" chance and we didn't get it.  Oh well, Marvin Lewis would have a 10 year contract if we won that game and Denver would have killed us in the next round.

If I recall, the Chargers and the Steelers were both let into the playoffs by other teams screwing up and letting them in and both teams marched into our stadium and beat our 11/12-win teams like the paper tigers we are. Oh, toss in 2009 since we played at 17% capacity against the Jets and let them into the playoffs a week before they came into our stadium and beat us.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 03:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In 2015 the Jets were the favorite to make the playoffs and only had to beat the lousy Bills in order to play us in the post-season in Cincy.  I figured Fitzpatrick would play pretty horribly in his only post-season game and throw 4 INTs and we'd win by default.  Sadly, he had his 4 INT meltdown a week early and lost to the Bills which then led to the Steelers getting to the playoffs by default and we all know the rest.

That was our "Can't fail" chance and we didn't get it.  Oh well, Marvin Lewis would have a 10 year contract if we won that game and Denver would have killed us in the next round.

If I recall, the Chargers and the Steelers were both let into the playoffs by other teams screwing up and letting them in and both teams marched into our stadium and beat our 11/12-win teams like the paper tigers we are.

I have to believe Fitzy would've done his best TJ Yates impression had he faced us, and even if he were that erratic, we probably woud've dropped any potential INT's.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 03:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm not sure about conspiracies, but you'd think Marv would've lucked into a win at least once. 0-7...? 0-4 at PBS? Totally smacked around in 5 of those?

2015 aside, the most confounding thing is that it goes against all logic that one man can make 46 men poop all over themselves in the bright lights.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-18-2017, 03:19 PM)McC Wrote: 2015 aside, the most confounding thing is that it goes against all logic that one man can make 46 men poop all over themselves in the bright lights.

Well, all 46 of those men have 1 game plan. 
Reply/Quote

Most coaches would have Forrest Gumped their way into at least one playoff win in 7 tries. I would hope he'd luck into one win in, say, 10 tries but I doubt it. 

Marv is a choker. It's been proven countless times in Primetime, playoff and steeler games. Out schemed, out coached, zero poise or control, a complete lack of in-game adjustments (something he has essentially admitted to)... He is a huge loser. 

I hope he goes home to Pittsburgh and becomes a member of their staff next
Reply/Quote
The problem with the Bengals is that Marvin Lewis treats every game exactly the same and it shows by their records in big games. The players may get amped up for big games like Prime Time games, Division Games, games against big time organizations and the Playoffs but when they see the coaches, plural, coaches acting like the game is no big deal, acting like the Bengals are getting ready to play the Jets, the players lose that adrenaline and go out there and can't get into the game.

Then, they see their coaches on the sideline, clapping "LET'S GO!" and they have no sense of urgency that the players maybe feel like "Hey, they don't care so why should I? Just try not to get hurt and collect that paycheck."

What's really annoying is the players who get upset at the fans for calling them out or cussing at them when those players know they are just going through the motions.

I'll tell you what, if the players had the heart, the resolve and the love of the Bengals like the fans do, the bad coaching and that nonchalant attitude that the head coach displays wouldn't matter, this team even with that crappy O Line would be in ever game and be winning every game.

Also, the fans of this team would die for them, win or lose, if the players had that emotion the fans have.
Reply/Quote