Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few questions to ponder
(07-09-2015, 08:24 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I blame him for it because Andy is one of the best red zone QBs in the league.

You know I'm not the biggest Andy believer in the world, but I'm not going to ignore how he has been great in the RZ throughout his career. FWIW, 3 out of 4 seasons he has zero red zone interceptions.

Why "wear them down" with your RBs when you have one of the best red zone QBs in the entire league though? That's my point. Throw everything else about Andy out the window for a minute and look at his performances within the opponents 20.

Wear the opponents out getting down the field. run it like a mad man between the 20s. 
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 03:05 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Fun fact: Andy Dalton threw more red zone TDs (22) in 1 season under Gruden than he threw all of last year combined from anywhere on the field.

Also, Andy has a career 72:3 red zone TD:INT ratio, he's hovering around a 100 passer rating in the RZ as well.

Yes, those are Andy Dalton, quarterback of the Cincinnati Bengals numbers.

We all know this is one of his biggest weak spots, he needs to throw less INTs. Even his absolute biggest supporters on here will agree. His INT% has gone up every single year, that's not acceptable and everyone, including Andy Dalton knows it.

This is what I was screaming forever and people do not talk about it much.

The fact is Andy was not allowed to do what he does best last year.
As a coach I have no idea how you take the ball out of the guys hands in the red zone where he has been flat out elite in those situations.

They took a run run Nugent approach to the red zone last year which I'm sure had a huge effect on Andy's TD numbers with the skyrocket in rushing TDs.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 08:24 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I blame him for it because Andy is one of the best red zone QBs in the league.

You know I'm not the biggest Andy believer in the world, but I'm not going to ignore how he has been great in the RZ throughout his career. FWIW, 3 out of 4 seasons he has zero red zone interceptions.

Why "wear them down" with your RBs when you have one of the best red zone QBs in the entire league though? That's my point. Throw everything else about Andy out the window for a minute and look at his performances within the opponents 20.

Exactly. Dalton is an average-ish QB. We all agree there...well except for maybe CB and a couple extreme homers.

Why ignore one of his strengths? Even if they have a great run game (they do), it makes them extremely predictable if they're never throwing around the red zone.

Of course, I doubt things bounce the same way this year. Hue will probably change that up, and that's one of many reasons why I have a feeling that Dalton is in for a rebound season. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 02:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly. Dalton is an average-ish QB. We all agree there...well except for maybe CB and a couple extreme homers.

Why ignore one of his strengths? Even if they have a great run game (they do), it makes them extremely predictable if they're never throwing around the red zone.

Of course, I doubt things bounce the same way this year. Hue will probably change that up, and that's one of many reasons why I have a feeling that Dalton is in for a rebound season. 

Have to hope the lack of RZ passes were a personnel issue with AJ out, Eifert and Jones out too.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 03:07 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Have to hope the lack of RZ passes were a personnel issue with AJ out, Eifert and Jones out too.

9 out of 10 Jones TDs were in the RZ. That's about 40.1% of Andy's RZ TD passes from 2013 right there.

I'm not so sure that we had a lack of big bodies to catch passes inside the 20 this past year, but I can't deny that injuries had to have played a part in playcalling throughout the season. For that reason, I'm cautiously giving Hue the benefit of the doubt for last year.

I'm honestly just wondering why people on here seem to be so obsessed with Hue Jackson. I don't think he's a bad coach by any means, but I'm not sure if he has done anything in Cincinnati to warrant the love just yet.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 03:27 PM)djs7685 Wrote: 9 out of 10 Jones TDs were in the RZ. That's about 40.1% of Andy's RZ TD passes from 2013 right there.

I'm not so sure that we had a lack of big bodies to catch passes inside the 20 this past year, but I can't deny that injuries had to have played a part in playcalling throughout the season. For that reason, I'm cautiously giving Hue the benefit of the doubt for last year.

I'm honestly just wondering why people on here seem to be so obsessed with Hue Jackson. I don't think he's a bad coach by any means, but I'm not sure if he has done anything in Cincinnati to warrant the love just yet.

The point about targets is exactly what I was thinking.

Hue has done plenty in his NFL career. I don't see what city it is in to be of any consequence. NFL football is NFL football.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 03:49 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The point about targets is exactly what I was thinking.

Hue has done plenty in his NFL career. I don't see what city it is in to be of any consequence. NFL football is NFL football.

Alright then, what has he done as an Offensive Coordinator that people would be gushing that he's a better coordinator than a proven Jay Gruden?

A lot of people really disliked Gruden for very little legitimate reason, so I feel like it has something to do with how "awesome" Hue Jackson is, and that's what I'm trying to find out. Are there legitimate reasons that he's considered such a great OC? Or is it just fluff because people hated Gruden and thought Jackson made a good Head Coach in the past?
Reply/Quote

Beat me to it......some folks just can't be objective because of their dislike of the guy.  Closet Badger fans? Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 03:54 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Alright then, what has he done as an Offensive Coordinator that people would be gushing that he's a better coordinator than a proven Jay Gruden?

A lot of people really disliked Gruden for very little legitimate reason, so I feel like it has something to do with how "awesome" Hue Jackson is, and that's what I'm trying to find out. Are there legitimate reasons that he's considered such a great OC? Or is it just fluff because people hated Gruden and thought Jackson made a good Head Coach in the past?

I think it's due to his work in Oakland and being able to make Terrell Pryor look like an NFL quarterback.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote