Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few questions to ponder
(07-08-2015, 01:14 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Wasn't there also a penalty or two on passing plays in/near the endzone which put the ball in position for the RBs to pound them in? I'm pretty sure this was the game I'm thinking of where that happened at least once.

It was a blowout so Andy wasn't throwing the ball all over the place, but he still played well from what I remember. Now I definitely want to go re-watch this one.

Playcalling under Hue took a lot of TDs from Dalton. 
Bengals had 19 (NINETEEN!!!!) rushing touchdowns last year. 
14 in 2013
11 in 2012
10 in 2010
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 02:09 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Playcalling under Hue took a lot of TDs from Dalton. 
14 in 2013
11 in 2012
10 in 2010

This has to be influenced by a dinged up WR corps in 2014. At least a little. I think Marvin Jones gets too little credit from fans. I think that guy is going to be a huge asset to the passing game this season.

I actually DO think AD will be improved this season.

That being said, Hill was the #1 rusher in the NFL last season after week 9. There is every reason in the world to be confident in the Bengals rushing the ball well. As far as I'm concerned, they can't have enough rushing TDs.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 02:16 PM)PDub80 Wrote: This has to be influenced by a dinged up WR corps in 2014. At least a little. I think Marvin Jones gets too little credit from fans. I think that guy is going to be a huge asset to the passing game this season.

I actually DO think AD will be improved this season.

That being said, Hill was the #1 rusher in the NFL last season after week 9. There is every reason in the world to be confident in the Bengals rushing the ball well. As far as I'm concerned, they can't have enough rushing TDs.

Of course it was, wasn't suggesting otherwise, but even then, there were times where we resorted to 3 runs inside the 5 and hell or high water we were rushing it in. Hue's got an ego problem and that's his biggest flaw. When he gets dead set on running Gio 3 times inside the 5 and Gio can't get in....it's ridiculous. 

We should start calling it Hue-bris. 
Reply/Quote
Gotta love the off season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 12:58 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: 15-23, 169 yards, 0 TD and 1 INT.
He didn't play poorly, the INT was just sort of a fluke. 
Tipped ball on a screen, DB just happened to be right there.

He did catch a TD this game though, so you would think it should factor into his QBR.....

If he threw for 1 TD instead of catching one, his QB rating jumps to 83.4

I would take a game like the above ALL DAY from AD for the way the Bengals team is built. I wouldn't say one damn thing negative about AD for a line like the above.

It's when he goes, like, 19-27 for 176 1 TD & 3 INT that makes me pull my hair out. They won that one against TB, btw 14-13.

The Dolphins game in 2013 where he got the safety in OT to end it. THAT stat line had me face palming... 32-53 338 0 TD & 3INT. He chucked it up 53 times and only had a long pass of 26 yards and couldn't find the end zone ONCE? ONCE wins the game. Heartbreaking. Those are the ones where Russell Wilson has been able to find the end zone that ONE time to win, even though he's been off for most of the game. I want THAT version of Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 02:24 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Of course it was, wasn't suggesting otherwise, but even then, there were times where we resorted to 3 runs inside the 5 and hell or high water we were rushing it in. Hue's got an ego problem and that's his biggest flaw. When he gets dead set on running Gio 3 times inside the 5 and Gio can't get in....it's ridiculous. 

We should start calling it Hue-bris. 

I love that as a nickname for the offense when they are bad!

Hue-Live-Crew when they are good!
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 02:09 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Playcalling under Hue took a lot of TDs from Dalton. 
14 in 2013
11 in 2012
10 in 2010

People tend to forget that Dalton had 5 non-throwing TD's last year. So he had 24 TD's total.

Hue seemed to loathe throwing around the end-zone last year, despite how good Andy has been inside the red zone.

I foresee a big rebound for Dalton this year in several categories. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 02:27 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I would take a game like the above ALL DAY from AD for the way the Bengals team is built. I wouldn't say one damn thing negative about AD for a line like the above.

It's when he goes, like, 19-27 for 176 1 TD & 3 INT that makes me pull my hair out. They won that one against TB, btw 14-13.

The Dolphins game in 2013 where he got the safety in OT to end it. THAT stat line had me face palming... 32-53 338 0 TD & 3INT. He chucked it up 53 times and only had a long pass of 26 yards and couldn't find the end zone ONCE? ONCE wins the game. Heartbreaking. Those are the ones where Russell Wilson has been able to find the end zone that ONE time to win, even though he's been off for most of the game. I want THAT version of Dalton.

yeah but it's below the 70 rating threshold Ninja 

Jokes aside, at least 1 INT in that Phins game was absolute horse-shit and never should have happened. Andy hit Sanu perfectly deep middle then the S came across and hit Mo ILLEGALLY in the helmet causing the ball to keep going and get picked. 

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013103100/2013/REG9/bengals@dolphins#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap2000000274496&tab=videos

Sanu bobbles then gets clocked helmet to helmet (see any of the times Reggie gets flagged for less obvious calls) ball gets picked. 
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 02:33 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: yeah but it's below the 70 rating threshold Ninja 

Jokes aside, at least 1 INT in that Phins game was absolute horse-shit and never should have happened. Andy hit Sanu perfectly deep middle then the S came across and hit Mo ILLEGALLY in the helmet causing the ball to keep going and get picked. 

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013103100/2013/REG9/bengals@dolphins#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap2000000274496&tab=videos

Sanu bobbles then gets clocked helmet to helmet (see any of the times Reggie gets flagged for less obvious calls) ball gets picked. 

68.9 is close enough for me! Beggars can't be choosers, my friend! Besides, as you guys have discussed, the INT was a weird one or if he throws the TD instead of catching it the rating is much higher. You get my point, though? I would take that kind of game or how he played that game all day from AD.

1: Sanu should have caught that.

2: Should have been a penalty, no question.

3: Neslon has a rep and gets called for that 10/10 times because of previous instances.
Reply/Quote
14 in 2013
11 in 2012
10 in 2010

At the same time it should have cut down his INTs. Apparently not enough.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 02:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: People tend to forget that Dalton had 5 non-throwing TD's last year. So he had 24 TD's total.

Hue seemed to loathe throwing around the end-zone last year, despite how good Andy has been inside the red zone.

I foresee a big rebound for Dalton this year in several categories. 

Fun fact: Andy Dalton threw more red zone TDs (22) in 1 season under Gruden than he threw all of last year combined from anywhere on the field.

Also, Andy has a career 72:3 red zone TD:INT ratio, he's hovering around a 100 passer rating in the RZ as well.

Yes, those are Andy Dalton, quarterback of the Cincinnati Bengals numbers.

(07-08-2015, 02:55 PM)Interceptor Wrote: At the same time it should have cut down his INTs. Apparently not enough.

We all know this is one of his biggest weak spots, he needs to throw less INTs. Even his absolute biggest supporters on here will agree. His INT% has gone up every single year, that's not acceptable and everyone, including Andy Dalton knows it.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 02:50 PM)PDub80 Wrote: 68.9 is close enough for me! Beggars can't be choosers, my friend! Besides, as you guys have discussed, the INT was a weird one or if he throws the TD instead of catching it the rating is much higher. You get my point, though? I would take that kind of game or how he played that game all day from AD.

1: Sanu should have caught that.

2: Should have been a penalty, no question.

3: Neslon has a rep and gets called for that 10/10 times because of previous instances.

I was just busting your balls a bit on that one. 

(07-08-2015, 02:55 PM)Interceptor Wrote: At the same time it should have cut down his INTs. Apparently not enough.

I think that djs' first part sums up why it didn't....

(07-08-2015, 03:05 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Fun fact: Andy Dalton threw more red zone TDs (22) in 1 season under Gruden than he threw all of last year combined from anywhere on the field.

Also, Andy has a career 72:3 red zone TD:INT ratio, he's hovering around a 100 passer rating in the RZ as well.

We all know this is one of his biggest weak spots, he needs to throw less INTs. Even his absolute biggest supporters on here will agree. His INT% has gone up every single year, that's not acceptable and everyone, including Andy Dalton knows it.

This was a problem I had with Hue...he seemed to overuse Andy in his weakest area and hide him in his best. 
Reply/Quote
So I had a stat wrong in one of my last posts. Andy actually has a 68:3 TD to INT ratio in the red zone. He does have a 100 RZ passer rating in his career, which is higher than Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson, and many more.

I'm not saying that these stats mean he's better than these guys, but it clearly shows that the coaches shouldn't be afraid to let him throw in the red zone.

Injuries to receivers or not, I have an issue with Hue for not letting Andy sling it more in these situations.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 10:14 PM)djs7685 Wrote: So I had a stat wrong in one of my last posts. Andy actually has a 68:3 TD to INT ratio in the red zone. He does have a 100 RZ passer rating in his career, which is higher than Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson, and many more.

I'm not saying that these stats mean he's better than these guys, but it clearly shows that the coaches shouldn't be afraid to let him throw in the red zone.

Injuries to receivers or not, I have an issue with Hue for not letting Andy sling it more in these situations.

Well it isn't as if Hue kept the Bengals from scoring in the redone if they did have 19 rushing TDs and Dalton ran for another 4 or 5 i forget how many.  

I just think in general the OC would prefer to put the ball in Hill and Bernard's hand than Dalton and for that I don't blame him.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 02:27 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I would take a game like the above ALL DAY from AD for the way the Bengals team is built. I wouldn't say one damn thing negative about AD for a line like the above.

What killed me about that Dolphins game is when the refs didn't call helmet to helmet against the Dolphins defender when he clobbered Sanu (which ended up in a pick even though Sanu had his hands on the ball when he was hit), or the time when Gresham caused a TD pass to get returned because of a holding penalty.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 11:53 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: What killed me about that Dolphins game is when the refs didn't call helmet to helmet against the Dolphins defender when he clobbered Sanu (which ended up in a pick even though Sanu had his hands on the ball when he was hit), or the time when Gresham caused a TD pass to get returned because of a holding penalty.

I think I remember Jones scoring a TD and it getting called back because of Gresham.  
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 11:42 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Well it isn't as if Hue kept the Bengals from scoring in the redone if they did have 19 rushing TDs and Dalton ran for another 4 or 5 i forget how many.  

I just think in general the OC would prefer to put the ball in Hill and Bernard's hand than Dalton and for that I don't blame him.

It's 19 total. 
Including Dalton and Burkhead. 
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 12:53 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I think I remember Jones scoring a TD and it getting called back because of Gresham.  

A ticky tacky call at that. IIRC
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 03:05 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Fun fact: Andy Dalton threw more red zone TDs (22) in 1 season under Gruden than he threw all of last year combined from anywhere on the field.

BJGE wasn't exactly a quality goal line runner though. I'd still rather wear them down with Hill, then keep them guessing about the pass. Seattle tried to get tricky and they lost the SB.

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2015, 11:42 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Well it isn't as if Hue kept the Bengals from scoring in the redone if they did have 19 rushing TDs and Dalton ran for another 4 or 5 i forget how many.  

I blame him for it because Andy is one of the best red zone QBs in the league.

You know I'm not the biggest Andy believer in the world, but I'm not going to ignore how he has been great in the RZ throughout his career. FWIW, 3 out of 4 seasons he has zero red zone interceptions.

(07-09-2015, 01:47 AM)BengalChris Wrote: BJGE wasn't exactly a quality goal line runner though. I'd still rather wear them down with Hill, then keep them guessing about the pass. Seattle tried to get tricky and they lost the SB.

Why "wear them down" with your RBs when you have one of the best red zone QBs in the entire league though? That's my point. Throw everything else about Andy out the window for a minute and look at his performances within the opponents 20.
Reply/Quote