Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little info about our first preseason game.
(08-17-2015, 11:28 AM)djs7685 Wrote: ThumbsUp

As much as I wanted to come in and complain about Fred being a Debbie Downer, I'm actually impressed that he made this thread and is looking at things from a different perspective than usual.

My only issue is, I'm partially concerned that there's some other motive behind this. We all know that ol' Freddy loves some of our mediocre or worse starters (Peko), so maybe this thread is a way of writing off any good performances from the second stringers (Sims)?

I'm just trying to think of a reason this thread exists, there has to be something behind this one.
Me thinks you're on to something. LOL 

Fatty Fat Sims did whiff some, be undeniably had some push on the pocket.

This post may be an indirect way to squelch his performance without naming him.

Now I  do believe Mr. Sims and Peko would work nicely in rotation.

Still should be the odd man out IMO. 

Will the team cut ties if it has to is the question.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2015, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The New York Giants were already missing a starting CB (Prince Aukamara) and their starting safeties were a rookie second round pick and Jeremy Miles (yes, that same Jeremy Miles).  The rookie starter (Landon Collins) was injured in the first quarter, and 3 other DBS did not finish the game due to injury (Mykkele Thompson, Trumaine McBride, Jayron Hosly).

The Giants O-line was not good at all last year and they had already lost starting LT Will Beaty to injury.  So there starting OTs were a rookie (Ereck Flowers) and Marshall Newhouse (yes, that same Marshall Newhouse).  So don't get too e

And, of course, there defense had also lost arguably its best player from last year (Jason Pierre Paul).

So despite all of the hype from the media, the fact is that we played a 6-10 team that has gotten much worse during the offseason.  They have some big name stars on offense, but overall they are a pretty weak team.

And finally let me remind everyone that at this time last year many people were calling for a guy to be our #2 QB just because he threw up on the field and made a couple of plays against guys who wouldn't make a final roster.  And now we can't even remember his name.

So don't get too excited about Denarius Moore, Greg Little, or any other receiver who had some success against the dregs of a DB unit that was not very strong to begin with.  And don't get carried away with what DeShawn Williams, Marcus Hardison, or any other D-lineman who had soem success against the bottom of a weak OL corps.

Obviously it is better for a player to look good in a pre-season game instead of bad.  So it is good news that these Bengals did well.  I am not turning into a grumpy hater.  I am just saying that we need to keep this performance in perspective.

I don't hold to much value on the preseason, other than hoping for no injuries to our guys. The only time the preseason was very telling was the '10 season when we picked up Owens at WR and everyone thought this was the year our team was going to do it. We played horrible throughout the preseason and the excuse was we were saving our special plays and mojo for the regular season. It never happened.  

I always watch preseason thinking who is good enough to make 2nd/3rd team and who's going home. It never defines my expectations for the upcoming season.
Reply/Quote
Never expected a thread like this from Fred.

Other than that, we came out relatively unscathed. That's all I asked for.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
First time I've ever seen fredtoast post anything semi-negative. I get the sense someone hacked his account.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 05:36 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: First time I've ever seen fredtoast post anything semi-negative. I get the sense someone hacked his account.

Yeah, even though I agree with most of what he is saying, I can't help but read it in the tone of "the douche bag next door" voice..

That said, he does make some nice points, also reflected by some writers, that the Bengals should have shown better 3rd down and Goal-to-go efficiency.  One article that I read said the Bengals should have scored 35..  However, the same old same old kicked in, and they settled for field goals and missed chip shots.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I have no idea how to judge preseason play. Who did what against which players, and how does that translate to real games. The coaches know what they are looking for. Us not so much. Maybe they are looking at how a receiver runs his routes or where a back makes his first cut. Or how a defender is reading his keys. We just don't know.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 11:28 AM)djs7685 Wrote: ThumbsUp

As much as I wanted to come in and complain about Fred being a Debbie Downer, I'm actually impressed that he made this thread and is looking at things from a different perspective than usual.

My only issue is, I'm partially concerned that there's some other motive behind this. We all know that ol' Freddy loves some of our mediocre or worse starters (Peko), so maybe this thread is a way of writing off any good performances from the second stringers (Sims)?

I'm just trying to think of a reason this thread exists, there has to be something behind this one.

Yeah, a little perplexing.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 12:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I have no idea how to judge preseason play.  Who did what against which players, and how does that translate to real games.  The coaches know what they are looking for.  Us not so much.  Maybe they are  looking at how a receiver runs his routes or where a back makes his first cut.  Or how a defender is reading his keys.  We just don't know.

It's about the process not results in pre-season. 

We can know these things to an extent. 
Reply/Quote